Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:32 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,243,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My close friend has a 2016 Focus ST, and his brother has a 2016 GTI ironically. I have driven them both. The Focus has been modded with a high performance exhaust, Cold Air Intake, and Stage I tune, so the horsepower is higher than stock. I have driven both cars, and prefer the Focus more for the manual transmission, as the GTI has Tiptronic, and no clutch. They are close though, and its not a fair comparison due to the mods on my friends Focus.
Not a big deal, but the GTI uses a Dual Clutch Transmission
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:04 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
My close friend has a 2016 Focus ST, and his brother has a 2016 GTI ironically.
That's not ironic.

It's not really even that much of a coincidence

Old 12-18-2017, 10:32 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Not a big deal, but the GTI uses a Dual Clutch Transmission
You can also get the GTI in a manual transmission the Dual Clutch is still an auto transmission just allows the user to shift it using buttons just a preference the focus was cheaper.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:25 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,081,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
You can also get the GTI in a manual transmission the Dual Clutch is still an auto transmission just allows the user to shift it using buttons
It may be semantics, but the DSG is not an automatic in the traditional sense. It doesn't use a torque converter and planetary gears. It's much more like a standard manual transmission with automated shifting. That's a very big difference compared to "tiptronic" type automatic transmissions, which are terrible.

That said, I'll stick with the manual with 3 pedals all day.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:53 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
This is what I'm concerned with the ecoboost motor I don't plan on flashing the computer voids the warranty I have read a few people on the ST forums blown up the ecoboost engine after flashing it. Pushing the turbo boost and timing more just going to ask for a problem Cobb isn't going to warranty the engine neither is Ford. If I do any mods maybe a catback and intake just to get it breathing more. If you flash the computer have to accept the risk that engine overhaul be on your money.

Auto transmissions are always going to beat a manual when it comes to turbocharged cars the thing shifts without blowing off any pressure even in N/A motor keeps the torque applied that's why 95% of all drag racing cars are autos until you reach higher speeds 60-130 highway race at that point both are in high gear. I like shifting just more fun for me especially for mountain road driving. The DSG is something I remember first appearing in Mitsubishi evo 2008 I test drove one it was cool the paddle shifting to me it was like any auto shifted faster and harder. I know the DSG transmissions have been in German cars for going back before 2008 they were out of my price range.

I don't like the body on the fiesta ST little too short kind reminds me of those ugly fiats 500's.

None of these turbo cars are going to get better then 20 mpg in the city I know manufactures try to say they get 22 but that's driving it like a grandma I expect around 17-19 mpg that's okay I'm really not concerned with it.

I read the auto transmissions had a court settlement with owners up to 2016 people were having their auto's replaced 2-3 times one reason I like manual transmissions simple and last for ever. Wheel bearings at 60k was it the front wheel bearings any idea how that was caused probably the same part in the ST.

The Audi RS3 is really nice car way out of my price range 54K starting wish I could afford one of those just got done paying off my 2015 Ram diesel which came in around 58k.
See Below
I have 2 friends with cobb tunes, one has an ST the other WRX, 20K on both with no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Ford Racing dealerships will install Ford Performance and mountune parts without voiding the warranty. The parts have a 3/36k warranty too
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
$23.5K for an ST1 is at least two grand too much, especially at this point in 2017.

Case in point. Granted, this price may be subject to some rebates nobody will be eligible for, but still one should be able to get it to around $20K.
I'm seeing them now for 20k here in San Diego
One dealer even has 2018 in Stock
Also I think they got rid of the ST1, 2 ,3 Badging, in 2017 now its just trim level with or without premium sound ect...

Old 12-20-2017, 06:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Every time my son sees someone in an ST to a GTI, he shakes his head and says oh you are living a life of regret now sucker. If you would have waited for just a little bit more, you could have had an RS. ST and GTI are pretty neat cars, RS is pure awesome.

Between the two, according to him GTI is better than the ST through. He is car obsessive and studies the heck out of cars he may be able to get after graduation, drives them etc. Pretty sure the RS would be his first choice right now.

He said Mitsubishi gave up on the EVO because it is too costly to compete in that market now. That is the market segment where performance race between companies seems to be focused right now.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:45 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Every time my son sees someone in an ST to a GTI, he shakes his head and says oh you are living a life of regret now sucker. If you would have waited for just a little bit more, you could have had an RS. ST and GTI are pretty neat cars, RS is pure awesome.

Between the two, according to him GTI is better than the ST through. He is car obsessive and studies the heck out of cars he may be able to get after graduation, drives them etc. Pretty sure the RS would be his first choice right now.

He said Mitsubishi gave up on the EVO because it is too costly to compete in that market now. That is the market segment where performance race between companies seems to be focused right now.
The RS motor is proving to be troublesome for a lot of people. I'd take an Evo over an RS.

I could easily make the ST faster than the RS with the money saved. Dealers are commanding too high a price for those cars.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 PM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
It may be semantics, but the DSG is not an automatic in the traditional sense. It doesn't use a torque converter and planetary gears. It's much more like a standard manual transmission with automated shifting. That's a very big difference compared to "tiptronic" type automatic transmissions, which are terrible.

That said, I'll stick with the manual with 3 pedals all day.
The DSG transmission is limited to about 300 HP which can be easily exceeded with larger turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
The RS motor is proving to be troublesome for a lot of people. I'd take an Evo over an RS.

I could easily make the ST faster than the RS with the money saved. Dealers are commanding too high a price for those cars.

I agree the ST can be built up but even at stock power levels the Torque Steer is awful which is one thing I miss about the Subaru STI I had never had any torque steer the RS would not have that problem.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:24 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,242,173 times
Quote:
The DSG transmission is limited to about 300 HP which can be easily exceeded with larger turbo.
With a tune the DSG is actually good up to 450hp. But the clutch in the manual starts slipping at stage 1/2.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:15 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,731,637 times

Last edited by shaker281; 12-21-2017 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: NVM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive