U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:01 PM

771 posts, read 1,749,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id agree that the 3 series is a nice car, but the twin turbo and RWD aint exactly the greatest in snowy climes, which the OP might be from. Its always fun watching 3 series Beamers fishtail and spin the wheels all the way home, while the FWD crowd scoots along fairly effortlessly when the powdery stuff starts to fall.
Oh, thanks so much for pointing that out about the BMW. I am in an area tha gets a fair amount of snow & I have a very steep driveway. I guess anything with RWD is out! I heard that the Lexus does well in the snow, which is one of the reasons I was considering it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 06:26 AM

1,847 posts, read 5,268,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
IMO, there is a difference between an European "feel" versus an American feel to a car. The Lexus is very "American in feel". What I mean about that is that the driver is isolated from the driving conditions. When I had my BMW, I felt connected to the road (in a good and bad way I suppose). I felt connected to the road and all the pot holes too.

In my Lexus - I felt isolated in a luxurious way. I glided over the streets and pot holes. There is also a very different feel on the steering wheel. You can drive an American car (my old Lexus included) with one hand while an European car required more attention and muscle to move the steering wheel. Both had power steering - the feel was very different. It is hard to describe unless you have driven both.

As I get older, I prefer to be isolated and the luxurious feel of being cushioned and coddled
Your description is perfect. Having driven several BMWs and Lexus - you hit the nail on the head. I'm kind of like you in that I prefer a softer and quieter ride. What really stood out to me in the ES 350 was how you could hear a pin drop the interior was so quiet - quietest car I have ever been in for sure. I'd buy the ES 350 if I was in the market for one right now. Indeed it is just a dressed up/quieter Camry and nothing is wrong with that.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:10 AM

19,180 posts, read 50,030,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Oh, thanks so much for pointing that out about the BMW. I am in an area tha gets a fair amount of snow & I have a very steep driveway. I guess anything with RWD is out! I heard that the Lexus does well in the snow, which is one of the reasons I was considering it.
Well, it does better than a RWD, but not as good as a 4WD.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:26 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,990,370 times
Interesting thread...I want a 2007 or 2008 used Lexus ES350 and I've test drove the car and the ride is very smooth. Anything will be an upgrade for me as I currently drive a Scion TC. A lot of people say the car is vanilla but I was looking for a car with room in the backseat. I thought about the BMW 3 series but they are way too small. The current used prices I am seeing are pretty good especially since I want navigation. I'm almost 35 and decided I need a halfway decent car.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:53 PM

90 posts, read 192,149 times
If you want a nice luxury car, you could get a CPO C-Class (2008), around the same price as a comparable ES350 Or 3-Series. For more room you could get a nice E-Class/ 5 series (used of course with the 4matic or X-Drive) Like most posters have said the ES350 is pretty much a dressed up Camry. I have never driven one before, but being inside one I felt like I was in a cloud where I couldn't hear a thing. The Germans are not really that much more expensive to maintain, I mean some stuff is really easy to DIY, and oil changes are prolonged (due to synthetic oil). 35 is still young, so might as well get something you'll enjoy for years to come. But all these cars are very good choices, so you cannot really go wrong.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIK92 View Post
If you want a nice luxury car, you could get a CPO C-Class (2008), around the same price as a comparable ES350 Or 3-Series. For more room you could get a nice E-Class/ 5 series (used of course with the 4matic or X-Drive) Like most posters have said the ES350 is pretty much a dressed up Camry. I have never driven one before, but being inside one I felt like I was in a cloud where I couldn't hear a thing. The Germans are not really that much more expensive to maintain, I mean some stuff is really easy to DIY, and oil changes are prolonged (due to synthetic oil). 35 is still young, so might as well get something you'll enjoy for years to come. But all these cars are very good choices, so you cannot really go wrong.
Thanks so much. You listed cars I originally didn't think of. I did look at some cars online today but I think that C-class might be too small..well, the back seat might be too small but I will have to test drive it. I do love that ES 350 for sure...for this old almost 35 year old..LOL!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM

5,010 posts, read 7,782,930 times
The C-class is a piece of junk. Buying used, a Lexus is a much better bet for one main reason - service. Lexus CPO program is fantastic, and even aside from that, Mercedes service is outrageous. Ask the local dealership what the cost is for the A service and the B service. Your jaw will drop.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The C-class is a piece of junk. Buying used, a Lexus is a much better bet for one main reason - service. Lexus CPO program is fantastic, and even aside from that, Mercedes service is outrageous. Ask the local dealership what the cost is for the A service and the B service. Your jaw will drop.
Please explain in more detail...I'm seeing 2007/2008 Lexus ES 350 priced about the same as 2007/2008 BMW 5 Series.

I honestly think the C-class is going to be too small. Although I will be the only driver, I'm 5'10" and if my family comes to visit, it's gonna be a tight squeeze since all of them are over 6'. I just want an affordable luxury vehicle without breaking the bank!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:46 AM

3,021 posts, read 2,776,746 times
If it's a lexus, it's ugly. My neighbor has one, and while they think it's a great vehicle, it am not the least bit impressed with the dealer having it half a dozen times the first year they had it. I'll know why people are willing to mbuy such over rated cars and suv's over an American built vehicle such as the Caddy or Fords.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
If it's a lexus, it's ugly. My neighbor has one, and while they think it's a great vehicle, it am not the least bit impressed with the dealer having it half a dozen times the first year they had it. I'll know why people are willing to mbuy such over rated cars and suv's over an American built vehicle such as the Caddy or Fords.
Ugly is subjective....why was the car at the dealer so much..was it just a pretentious owner or what? I had a Cadillac before and that was a disaster (this was a Cadillac Catera and I grew up with my parents driving caddies)....had Ford and vowed never to buy Ford again especially when that car blew up on me on the bridge in Missouri (too many bad memories!). The issue unfortunately with American built are the resale values go so low however I must say, Buick is somehow appealing to the eyes these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive