Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 01:30 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
People may or may not be in a hurry. They might be driving fast just because it is fun to do so.
Go rent time on a track then. The freeway is not an amusement park.

To a point I don't care how fast people drive. But large differences in speed between adjacent lanes is not safe, and making lots of lane changes to slalom around traffic is not safe.

With that said, folks shouldn't be on urban freeways driving so slow that all of the traffic is overtaking them. That isn't safe either. Pick a lane and go with the flow. If all of the lanes are going too fast for someone's comfort, they probably should be on the freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:34 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
some moron stopped in the right turn lane today to drop off his kids, then the kids started taking out their luggage etc. in the middle of the goddamn road... WTF! people not only lack common sense but they also are oblivious to anyone else but themselves. If you want to stop go to an appropriate area, not on the road blocking everyone else's path. This also happens quite frequently at the grocery store, people stopping to drop off at the entryway of cars blocking everyone else causing traffic jams... NO! Get the F out of everyone's way. If you want to get out of your car there is a designated parking spot for that, not in front of the door of the grocery store so that your wife, kids etc. whoever the F can be dropped off.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:44 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
it's more efficient to go fast. Yeah, that's my excuse, efficiency!

Old 12-01-2017, 01:46 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Really? For every erratic driver I see, there are at least 100 speeders.

Kinetic energy increases by squaring velocity, folks. It's basic physics that many people don't seem to recognize.
Pretty much everyone on my commute is a "speeder", we're all typically going about 5-7miles over the speedlimit.

"excessive" speeders going like 15+ over and moving much faster than the typical flow of traffic is fairly rare.

People driving erratically are much more common and you can almost always see that they're using their cell phone.

I don't think we should try to compare the majority of commuters just rolling along in their lanes going 70mph in a 65mph zone as some sort of "menace" like someone weaving through traffic going 85+ mph.

Almost every accident I see on my commute involves traffic slowing and someone causing a chain reaction rear-ending. I've had 4 friends and co-workers rear-ended in the last 5 years and it's been cell phones every time.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:07 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
We moved from Chicago to NW Indiana last year. We're only about 35 miles away from downtown Chicago, but let me tell you, what a HUGE difference in the way people drive!!! Everyone in Chicago is always in a bug hurry, driving fast, driving on the peoples A****, flipping people off if they go the speed limit, etc. In Indiana it's the total opposite! People drive so slow they donlt even do the speed limit!

Old 12-01-2017, 06:15 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
People around here think Sioux Falls has "terrible traffic" and have no idea what an actual large city is like. In a city like Milwaukee or Chicago or whatever, you go with the flow of traffic or you're run off the road and frankly an accident hazard.

If the speed limit on the interstate is 50 and traffic flow is 65-70, you go 65-70. Period. If not you just cause traffic jams and risk getting rear ended. When traffic is so dense it's nearly bumper to bumper, you're going to have tailgaters, you're going to have all lanes full, you're going to have people not moving out of the left lane because though the flow of traffic is 70 you feel like going 80, so people who want to go faster or slower than traffic flow just end up being a net annoyance and traffic hazard. This is the way most large cities or metro areas are going to operate during rush hour. Of course if you're an out of state driver and cops target you, then cops are just causing a traffic hazard. They shouldn't be targeting speeders going with the flow of traffic at all, much less pulling people over on a crowded interstate during rush hour. They only have themselves to blame if they get their squad car rammed from behind or cause other accidents from creating an unnecessary scene on a busy interstate. Let the traffic do what the traffic will do during rush hour unless something is creating a true traffic hazard like trying to go 95 when the flow of traffic is 80, weaving from lane to lane at high speed without signaling. Yeah, these people are a traffic hazard.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Why shouldn’t people be in s hurry with bills to pay and planes to catch. Who knows when your son may walk but you are behind some slow poke!

Your son may ask: When are you coming home Dad? I don’t know SON. But I’m going as fast as I can.

Your son turns 10. He ask: can you teach me to throw a ball? Can’t. I’m behind some slow poke driving the speed limit.

So by the time you get home your son in in college and you missed you everything.
And, then, you could be in a wreck because of being in a hurry and really miss everything, or cause someone else to do so. Also, child is not something to be ticked off a list because you live your life in a hurry. If you have to speed for a reason like this, you need to rearrange your life, not risk it.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Really? For every erratic driver I see, there are at least 100 speeders.

Kinetic energy increases by squaring velocity, folks. It's basic physics that many people don't seem to recognize.
Don't you understand that in addition to being exempt from the traffic laws and the laws of common courtesy, these people are ALSO exempt from the laws of physics?

Old 12-02-2017, 10:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And, then, you could be in a wreck because of being in a hurry and really miss everything, or cause someone else to do so. Also, child is not something to be ticked off a list because you live your life in a hurry. If you have to speed for a reason like this, you need to rearrange your life, not risk it.
I’m just repeating what Harry Chaplin stated when he wrote the song: Cat and the Cradle

I’m sure you might be familiar with the song. Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c

Old 12-02-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
I’m just repeating what Harry Chaplin stated when he wrote the song: Cat and the Cradle

I’m sure you might be familiar with the song. Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwjNBjqR-c
Oh, absolutely, I recognized it. But the point remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive