Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 11:13 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times

Advertisements

Fire-rescue company said that having 4WD makes for more problems because drivers tend to think they are better off with it but it just gets them stuck farther off the road when they do lose it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 11:36 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Fire-rescue company said that having 4WD makes for more problems because drivers tend to think they are better off with it but it just gets them stuck farther off the road when they do lose it.
Once you remove your foot from the gas your in 0 Wheel drive. At that point its a function of your speed, breaks, and tires.

4WD does nothing to help you stop.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:17 PM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
I've heard it said "4WD just gets you twice as stuck." I agree to a point. But I like using it to halve my shoveltime.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:23 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I have no idea why people go on forums and give false information. 4WD with the axles locked together is DANGEROUS on ice and snow. It's ONLY to be used to get unstuck. The lack of ability for the axles to spin at different speeds causes traction to be lost
Your post is a perfect example of false information. I have extensive experience with 4WD vehicles and winter conditions and your assertion is patently false.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
Hi vs Lo range have nothing to do with this. On modern trucks, the 4WD systems are all part time as far as I know, meaning you should only use them when needed to get unstuck. The transfer case engages the front axle and there's no differential or planetary gear between front and rear axles.

I had a Cherokee that was part time 4WD through an NV231 transfer case. They also made models with the NP242 transfer case which allowed full time operation as power was split with a planetary gearset, but those kinds of systems went out of style for some reason.
Most modern half ton pickups have Auto 4WD, which is really an AWD setting. In fact, the DIC in my Silverado displays AWD when it's in the Auto position. It's perfect for interstate driving. Older pickups, newer base model pickups, 3/4 ton and one ton pickups will have part time 4WD. Part time 4WD isn't just for getting unstuck. It's also for traction when needed. The last truck I owned with part time 4WD needed to be put in 4HI after stopping in an intersection in the winter. When the light turned green I had traction to get me going and I would then shift to 2WD. My last two trucks had Auto 4WD, meaning I had 4WD when needed and then it would revert to 2WD automatically.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I've recently had to start driving 40 miles on an interstate highway several times a week. With snow and ice it would be handy to use the 4WD. Not sure about leaving it engaged for several miles. Used to on dirt and off road (when covered in snow and ice), but now I'm going about 40-45 mph. That's new for me. I drive a Ram 1500 and my winter tires are Blizzaks.

I would appreciate opinions.
We know you have a half ton, but what year and what trim level? A picture of your transfer case shifter, if it's on the dash, would also be helpful. If your transfer case shifter is on the floor, we just need to know that...no picture needed.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I've heard it said "4WD just gets you twice as stuck." I agree to a point. But I like using it to halve my shoveltime.
Yes, if you're mudding through a field or driving on sand dunes. But it sure is nice to be able to take off from a stop sign without spinning around.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Most modern half ton pickups have Auto 4WD, which is really an AWD setting. In fact, the DIC in my Silverado displays AWD when it's in the Auto position. It's perfect for interstate driving. Older pickups, newer base model pickups, 3/4 ton and one ton pickups will have part time 4WD. Part time 4WD isn't just for getting unstuck. It's also for traction when needed. The last truck I owned with part time 4WD needed to be put in 4HI after stopping in an intersection in the winter. When the light turned green I had traction to get me going and I would then shift to 2WD. My last two trucks had Auto 4WD, meaning I had 4WD when needed and then it would revert to 2WD automatically.
The Ford F150 has a 4 Automatic setting also but it's only available as an option on Lariat trim and above, not on the XL, XLT, or FX4.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:30 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Your post is a perfect example of false information. I have extensive experience with 4WD vehicles and winter conditions and your assertion is patently false.
My experience with 4WD as opposed to AWD is limited to Pennsylvania. I found 4WD minimally helpful and often frustrating when locked up.
I guess up in Alaska you pile it deeper.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:41 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Last season I had the Blizzaks on my 05 Tundra. I did have a bit of weight in the bed since I had a topper and a few hundred pounds of gear.

I found that I rarely needed the 4x4 on my truck. Between the weight and the tires there really was no need. And I also found out that sustained 40 mph and more with 4x4 engaged caused gear oil to foam out of the transfer case vent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive