Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 11:02 AM

10,834 posts, read 7,224,770 times

Advertisements

I drive an SUV, and wouldn't even consider a van. But I live on a rough dirt road, where I need high clearance. If I were a city dweller, I would get a car that gets better mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:15 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walessp View Post
Depending on the make, an SUV will likely be safer in a crash.
What makes you think this? It isn't shown by the test results.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:16 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
The hardest part of owning a minivan is actually admitting you need one. Once you buy it, you'll wonder why you were so apprehensive.

If you are concerned about size, go look at a Ford Transit Connect Wagon. Smaller than the full size mini-vans and usually pretty good deals are available.
The XL Platinum version is awesome. I have several friends who are professional bike racers and those are their go-to vehicles. Super comfortable, cheap to run, lots of room, and look great.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:22 AM

8,875 posts, read 13,849,352 times
We are basically empty nesters and we have one minivan now. I am getting ready to trade my everyday driver for a second minivan.

Once you get past the "not cool" factor, like I give a crap what people think about my ride, they are the most versatile thing on four wheels for us.

We tote our dogs, our groceries, our luggage, our shopping bags, our guests, our boxes, our ladders, etc. as we wish, all with minor changes to the 2nd and 3rd row seats.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 AM

15,035 posts, read 10,001,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercad55 View Post
We are a family of 4 with a newborn and a 1 year old.
Looking for recommendations and experiences on why you chose a van or suv. We live in an urban area with limited parking in southern California. Wife wants a van or 3 row SUV and I'm leaning toward the 2 row SUV or smaller 3 row SUV like the Mazda cx9 or Nissan Rogue. All suggestions appreciated all information as well
17k price range
Older reliable vehicles are fine as well
Wife chose an SUV when our first son was born. It too has a 3rd row. It didn't take long before she was begging me for a Van when the twins arrived (5 person family).

* Putting three kids (two car seats) in the 2nd row in a vehicle that sits taller can be difficult. She actually tore a ligament in her leg when she was leaning in (strapping the kid in the middle) and slipped in the winter.
* Using the folding 3rd row looses a lot of trunk space.
* There is significant advantage to having sliding doors rather than traditional swing out doors. Sometime we pulled the SUV out a parking spot a bit so we can swing the doors wide open without denting the cars next to us.
* Lift over in the rear is higher than a Van.
* When its is pouring rain, she would throw all three kids into the Van and get in herself. Then strap them in without getting soaked. Although one time she shut the doors and locked herself in (child locks) lol.

Most SUVs are really not all that much larger than a traditional Sedan. Just sits taller with bigger tires. Most SUVs I've seen don't have that much room in the folding 3rd row.

I will say that there is one exception; The Suburban is large enough plus truck capabilities. However, you are talking higher gas consumption, no sliding doors, much longer wheelbase at a much higher cost (30k-ish versus 50k-ish).

She insisted that she wanted to keep the SUV so I ended up buying a very cheap low end minivan with no trade in. She was still apprehensive when I bought it but she now loves it. The SUV sits in the driveway unused a lot. I can only imagine how much happier she would have been if we bought a more optioned out higher end model.

Yes, like many (including the wife), it took a while to get past the mini-van mommy thingy... for a new family with children.... that should be the least of concerns.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:44 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,579,066 times
With two kids of those ages you could easily manage with a small or midsize sedan or wagon, like a Camry (huge trunk!), Hyundai Elantra, or an Impala. In ten years the kids will be bigger and a minivan would be just right.

If you are sure you need one right now, I still strongly prefer the minivan. I had one and it was so practical. It could hold lots of cargo, or my son's whole cross-country team; we moved ourselves and other people; we lugged stuff to the dump or from the lumber yard. Better, more comfortable seating and better, more flexible cargo area. Definitely the minivan.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,468,427 times
Is the height an issue with your garage space? Check it out.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 PM

249 posts, read 281,080 times
Yes I'm torn in the middle mainly due to living in the city and finding parking spots when we go to events around the area. Also fitting in my garage but we have a neighbor who can fit his 3 row Acura SUV in it. Van is my #2 choice quickly becoming number one after reading the comments.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:13 PM

What car would you consider with a family of four with enough room for everyone to feel comfortable? My wife will be sitting in the back with the kids. I considered a car but not sure what vehicle my wife would agree to. We have a 15 ford fusion now and she hates it.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM

I agree I love the space and feel of not being cramped the city life is my only concern, but I'm leaning toward the van at the moment. Great advice from everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive