Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 04:50 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
Thanks for that link! So 'Top Tier' gas is available at most stations in my city. Does a particular chain count if its gas is sold at a 'Food Mart' or 'Gulp n Go' type establishment? Sometimes the Citgo where I go is filled by a non-Citgo logo tanker truck, sometimes it is. Doesn't seem to affect my mpg or performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 05:14 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
There are a number of threads discussing the problems associated with the quick oil change shops. As for the overselling, a firm "No!" will be an effective response.

However, amateur mechanics (that high school kid employed there at minimum wage) can and will make mistakes that can cause huge problems for the customer. I am unwilling to take that risk.

For that reason, I've always done my own oil changes. I use the highest quality materials and take the time to do a perfect job each time. I think that is still the best solution if you are fortunate enough to have a garage and a complete set of tools. Furthermore, synthetic oil is now good enough to extend the oil change interval to one year for most applications. That is my solution.

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/product-faqs

The next best solution is to find an individual shop run by a "type A" mechanic. Your goal is to get the job done correctly. That means it will cost more than those quicky lube places. You pay for quality.

Old 12-10-2017, 06:12 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,758,913 times
I have suffered from a stripped oil pan plug but it was at a Firestone store. I used to work for Bridgestone/Firestone so was entitled to 35% off new tires. One day I let my stupidity overcome me and had them change the oil while getting new tires. Next oil change the damage was noticed.

I have never used Jiffy lube or any other place like it.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 5,646 times
I've made the mistake of going to Jiffy Lube, when I drove a Mazda 3. I later found out that my oil wasn't filled all the way, this was before I moved to New York. I've picked up some oil from Pep Boys, to keep my engine from burning out. That was it for me.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,217,388 times
Any automotive service repair facility, should it be a dealership or a quick lube shop, can be honest and do things the right way, or can be dishonest and do things the wrong way.

As a customer, I read my owner's manual, follow the maintenance schedule, keep up with my service records, and take time at each service to discuss my vehicle's maintenance with the service team.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:26 PM

628 posts, read 837,841 times
I always get my oil changed for my Kia at the dealer because i heard that changing your oil or having it done at another shop voids warranty

Old 12-10-2017, 06:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
I always get my oil changed for my Kia at the dealer because i heard that changing your oil or having it done at another shop voids warranty
People still believe this ?

Old 12-10-2017, 09:44 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
Completely and totally false. You can change the oil in your own garage if you want. Just keep receipts. I also log everything into a spreadsheet. When my Kia had a catastrophic engine failure due to a premature timing belt failure I wasn't even asked to provide proof that required maintenance had been done. They simply replaced the engine under the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty. The car was six years old and had just under 55,000 miles at the time. But I did have my receipts and spreadsheet, just in case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive