Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 AM

3,614 posts, read 1,716,657 times

Advertisements

The CX3 is cute. The CX5 is nicer and offers a better bang for the buck in value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,853,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
The CX3 is cute. The CX5 is nicer and offers a better bang for the buck in value.
But look how adorable the Subaru Crosstrek is! Especially for a tank! I liked it in white, but the more I see the orange, the more attractive it seems.

Source: http://driving.ca/subaru/xv-crosstre...s-all-grown-up

Old 12-13-2017, 07:04 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,192,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Hi,

I currently have an old (2006) Mazda 6. I don't drive much -- I work from home -- but I do live in a winter wonderland (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada) and my car is parked outside all year.

In the near future (after this winter, though), I'll likely be in the market for a new vehicle. I've done some looking and I like both of these:

1. Subaru Crosstrek
2. Mazda CX-3

For when I go somewhere in the winter (next winter ) I'd like a little tank so that the snow doesn't have to ALL be cleared from my driveway before I head out. I know that a lot of that depends on my tires (I always have good snow tires -- Nokian Nordman), but:

1a. Is AWD that much better than FWD? The Subaru only has AWD, but you can get the Mazda in either AWD or FWD.
1b. Is AWD better on ice than FWD? From what I've read, it seems that it's not.
2. Do any of you car-knowers recommend the Subaru Crosstrek over the Mazda CX-3, or vice versa?

Thanks!
The first thing is that Subaru has a stellar reputation in Winter weather. You could buy it on that basis alone. I can't speak for Subaru's method of implementing AWD but my Toyota RAV4's all wheel drive is in essence standby FWD. Toyota AWD senses that the front wheel drive is failing to propel the car forward and the computer engages the rear wheels.

AWD is superior to FWD because when you don't need FWD, AWD is not burning the extra gas.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
The first thing is that Subaru has a stellar reputation in Winter weather. You could buy it on that basis alone. I can't speak for Subaru's method of implementing AWD but my Toyota RAV4's all wheel drive is in essence standby FWD. Toyota AWD senses that the front wheel drive is failing to propel the car forward and the computer engages the rear wheels.

AWD is superior to FWD because when you don't need FWD, AWD is not burning the extra gas.
Thanks!

I don't remember if it was in this video:

First Drive: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | Driving

or in this article:

First Look: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | Driving

but I learned a lot -- from them and from the posts here (including yours) -- about AWD. I want!

Old 12-13-2017, 07:33 AM

5,768 posts, read 3,192,935 times
Quote:
Thanks!

I don't remember if it was in this video:

First Drive: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | Driving

or in this article:

First Look: 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | Driving

but I learned a lot -- from them and from the posts here (including yours) -- about AWD. I want!
Thanks for the reputation bump. Back before I retired I drove a 2004 RAV4. There was about eight inches of snow on the roads in the North East before the plow came. The RAV was cruising like there was no snow at all. Cars with front wheel drive were struggling but the computer controlled AWD was awesome. As long as I kept my speed down, I wasn't going into a ditch and I wasn't getting stuck.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Thanks for the reputation bump. Back before I retired I drove a 2004 RAV4. There was about eight inches of snow on the roads in the North East before the plow came. The RAV was cruising like there was no snow at all. Cars with front wheel drive were struggling but the computer controlled AWD was awesome. As long as I kept my speed down, I wasn't going into a ditch and I wasn't getting stuck.
That! That's exactly what I want! And to be able to plow through the ridge of snow that the snowplows left at the bottom of the driveway.

Thank you for confirming that what I *think* AWD is like is a reality.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 AM

13,253 posts, read 22,650,364 times
It would be interesting to know how buyer demographics break down for the Crosstrek because there's something about it that makes me think it's the VW Beetle for the outdoorsy woman. We've been talking about replacement options for our 2007 Outback in a couple of years, and I find myself telling my husband that while I know it would be most practical to replace the Outback with another Outback, the Crosstrek just generates a 'It's adorable! I want one!' emotional response, especially in the specialty colors like the orange.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It would be interesting to know how buyer demographics break down for the Crosstrek because there's something about it that makes me think it's the VW Beetle for the outdoorsy woman. We've been talking about replacement options for our 2007 Outback in a couple of years, and I find myself telling my husband that while I know it would be most practical to replace the Outback with another Outback, the Crosstrek just generates a 'It's adorable! I want one!' emotional response, especially in the specialty colors like the orange.
Haha! I've been trying to stop posting "I love it in white!" and "Oh! But look at the orange!" but I can't help myself. I'm a girl. Not an outdoorsy girl -- just a girl who doesn't want to shovel the leftovers -- but a girl all the same.

I don't have time to read through any of these right now, but I did two google searches:

subaru crosstrek demographics:
https://www.google.com/search?ei=H0c....0.askMVY6wWWg

subaru crosstrek demographics women:
https://www.google.com/search?q=suba...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm just leaving them here as a reminder to myself to look through them later.

And, um, beachmouse... let me know what color Crosstrek you end up getting.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 AM

997 posts, read 838,217 times
Quote:
But look how adorable the Subaru Crosstrek is! Especially for a tank! I liked it in white, but the more I see the orange, the more attractive it seems.

Source: Redesigned 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is all grown up | Driving
I like it too! But why do they have to put a gutless motor in it?

Old 12-13-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
I like it too! But why do they have to put a gutless motor in it?
You mean because it's 4 cylinders instead of 6? This I don't know. What I *do* know: AWD and orange!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive