Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:32 AM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times

Advertisements

I found this thread very useful as we are trying to decide for my wife between another Mazda 3 and a Crosstreck. First comment I have is the posts that say Front Wheel Drive is the same as AWD in winter are completely wrong. It's common sense, 4 wheels turning will give you more traction than only 2. It may be flat where you live but I assume you are not void of all hills. We have 2 FWD cars and a 4 x 4 truck, the truck goes when the cars can't.

We aren't really considering a CX-3. The Mazda 3 hatch holds more stuff and is whole lot more fun to drive, it gets better MPG, and costs thousands less. But it's only available in FWD so may not work for Canada. The wife needs to decide if the quick acceleration on highways, something she has grown to love, is more important than having a taller vehicle that allows her to see better when driving and is easier to get in and out of due to its height.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 12-14-2017 at 06:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 05:55 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,011,510 times
I work from home. Looking out my office window this morning...

That's pushed to the side, not at the end of my driveway. But it would be fun to try and tank through it anyway.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:23 AM

That's a lot of snow eh?

Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
That's a lot of snow eh?
Haha! Right?!? Apparently the snow removal guys will come take it away but I hope not before this weekend, when I plan on climbing it with my niece.

Have you made a decision for your wife's car?

The more I look at the Crosstrek, the more I like it. Call me smitten. I even like another color -- the "cool grey khaki" which, at least on Interwebz pictures, seems to be a very pale icy blue.

I was talking with my neighbor last night. He got his Forester last year and loves it, and now they're talking about the Crosstrek for his wife.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Haha! Right?!? Apparently the snow removal guys will come take it away but I hope not before this weekend, when I plan on climbing it with my niece.

Have you made a decision for your wife's car?

The more I look at the Crosstrek, the more I like it. Call me smitten. I even like another color -- the "cool grey khaki" which, at least on Interwebz pictures, seems to be a very pale icy blue.

I was talking with my neighbor last night. He got his Forester last year and loves it, and now they're talking about the Crosstrek for his wife.
Nah her Mazda 3 is still kicking around I gotta say with your climate you just gotta go with AWD.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Nah her Mazda 3 is still kicking around I gotta say with your climate you just gotta go with AWD.
Run it into the ground. No sense laying out $$$ until you have to.

Even though my car is a 2006, it's in great shape. When I moved to Ontario, I had to have a full inspection of it before it could be registered. It's a seriously serious inspection -- it takes them 3+ hours and they check EVERYTHING. My car passed. The inspector even said that it was amazing that it was a 2006, that it was in terrific shape. That said, the "padding" on the interior roof is dangling at the rear window line, when I changed my brakes a few months ago I was told never to use the parking break because they might seize, blah blah blah. It's in great shape but it's still an 11-year old car.

Also, I've always had a garage. Now I don't. And with the road crew leaving a ridge of snow at the end of my driveway when they plow, I want a little tank. When I lived in a high-rise, where there were hundreds of cars in the garage, the driveway was always well-maintained, and the ridge of snow was removed by... someone other than me.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:39 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Run it into the ground. No sense laying out $$$ until you have to.

Even though my car is a 2006, it's in great shape. When I moved to Ontario, I had to have a full inspection of it before it could be registered. It's a seriously serious inspection -- it takes them 3+ hours and they check EVERYTHING. My car passed. The inspector even said that it was amazing that it was a 2006, that it was in terrific shape. That said, the "padding" on the interior roof is dangling at the rear window line, when I changed my brakes a few months ago I was told never to use the parking break because they might seize, blah blah blah. It's in great shape but it's still an 11-year old car.

Also, I've always had a garage. Now I don't. And with the road crew leaving a ridge of snow at the end of my driveway when they plow, I want a little tank. When I lived in a high-rise, where there were hundreds of cars in the garage, the driveway was always well-maintained, and the ridge of snow was removed by... someone other than me.
Good thing I crossed the border in Alberta instead of Ontario. My Jeep windshield has massive cracks everywhere. It would have been impounded.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Good thing I crossed the border in Alberta instead of Ontario. My Jeep windshield has massive cracks everywhere. It would have been impounded.
Omg, you're right! My aunt and uncle just moved from Montreal to Ottawa as well and also had to have their cars super-inspected. My aunt's car had a tiny chip in the windshield and -- guess what -- she had to have the windshield replaced before they passed her car. It's insanely strict. I guess in many ways that's good, but wow!

Old 12-16-2017, 06:05 AM

Well one thing for you to consider is if your Mazda 6 passed Ontario inspection then it has value. If you don't drive much but obviously have an interest in upgrading to a better winter car it may be time for you to make that move now while your current car still passes inspection.

By the way how do you like that car? I currently drive a Civic but want my next car to be a bit bigger.

Old 12-16-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Well one thing for you to consider is if your Mazda 6 passed Ontario inspection then it has value. If you don't drive much but obviously have an interest in upgrading to a better winter car it may be time for you to make that move now while your current car still passes inspection.

By the way how do you like that car? I currently drive a Civic but want my next car to be a bit bigger.
Good point. I don't want to get the new car now, in the winter, but at the first sign of spring, I'm off to the dealer.

How do I like the Mazda 6? I've loved it from day 1. And now, 11 years later, I still think it's a great car. I've had ZERO problems with it. Just regular maintenance; no surprises. Of course the car has been quite dramatically changed since mine was "born" but I'm guessing all those changes were for the better. From my own experience with it, I'd highly recommend it. It's bigger than the Civic, but not BIG. It's a good car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive