Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Always amazed at what folks are willing to pay for something to drive. Got a 20 year old GMC Sierra that lives in the garage unless on a rare occasion I need to haul something. Otherwise drive a Buick. I cannot fathom paying 45k or more to drive a big ass truck just because it’s fun but I seem to be in the minority here in Texas. As for the many references to Subaru’s on this thread, having owned one, there ain’t nothing to love about a Subaru. No power, cheap materials and zero features for a comfortable ride.
In school I paid $800 for a Plymouth Valiant 1972 Vintage and drove it daily for 20+ years... still own it.

Transportation doesn't have to cost much...

Only broke down once and the AAA towed me home free... needed a timing chain at 230k miles... less than $40 in parts and a Saturday morning and back on the road again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:22 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainmidnight View Post
Hey if you need a truck because you always haul stuff or that is your profession, that's awesome.

But the trucks I see in my neighborhood are driven by what I call "truckerbros". Smoke stacks, revving their engines unnecessarily, bed caps always on, sparking clean, and driven by guys younger than 40. These aren't beaters but pretty new trucks, enough to have LED headlights. Yeah I'm probably making generalization but its what I see the most.

One of my neighbors was recently laid off then bought one of these trucks and it just sits in front of his house all day.

However you live your life..
My brother and his wife live and own a 65 acre Christmas Tree farm and he was always hauling things with the family minivan... his wife laid down the law and told him to buy a proper truck for the farm... he figured this was his one time green light and bought a new F250 Diesel 2016 vintage... loves, loves the truck and pulls their 10k dump trailer like it isn't even there...

It does look out of place when he goes to the day job but the quad cab means room for the family too.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:18 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Always amazed at what folks are willing to pay for something to drive. Got a 20 year old GMC Sierra that lives in the garage unless on a rare occasion I need to haul something. Otherwise drive a Buick. I cannot fathom paying 45k or more to drive a big ass truck just because it’s fun but I seem to be in the minority here in Texas. ...
Taste is of course a personal matter, but what ceaselessly baffles me, is why it is considered foppish and crass to spend $45K on a sports-car, but entirely decent and legitimate to spend $45K on a truck. That is, arrive at some gathering in said truck, and onlookers will offer congratulatory words, especially if the buyer can boast that he (we'll assume the male pronoun) paid only $45K, on something that stickered for $50K.... But arrive at the same gathering in a sports car that's equally costly, and eyes will role... "compensation", midlife-crisis, escapism, wanton disregard for practicality, and on and on.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:22 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,530,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In school I paid $800 for a Plymouth Valiant 1972 Vintage and drove it daily for 20+ years... still own it.

Transportation doesn't have to cost much...

Only broke down once and the AAA towed me home free... needed a timing chain at 230k miles... less than $40 in parts and a Saturday morning and back on the road again...
Was that it's first timing chain replacement? Or were there others before that. If that was the first one, that is pretty cool. I've had 2 fail before 70,000 one a honda, and the other a hyundai. And they both needed new engines which I couldn't afford. So when yours went it didn't do any internal damage to your car? Wow!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:29 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,530,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Taste is of course a personal matter, but what ceaselessly baffles me, is why it is considered foppish and crass to spend $45K on a sports-car, but entirely decent and legitimate to spend $45K on a truck. That is, arrive at some gathering in said truck, and onlookers will offer congratulatory words, especially if the buyer can boast that he (we'll assume the male pronoun) paid only $45K, on something that stickered for $50K.... But arrive at the same gathering in a sports car that's equally costly, and eyes will role... "compensation", midlife-crisis, escapism, wanton disregard for practicality, and on and on.
Because you can haul stuff in a truck . It's strong, powerful, and practical. What's not to love?

Old 12-14-2017, 08:53 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
My 2016 Silverado LTZ stickered for $52,430. I paid $36,622 in June 2016. Brand new truck, 12 miles on odo, no trade in. If you only managed to get $5k off sticker you aren't trying very hard.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:03 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,520,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Was that it's first timing chain replacement? Or were there others before that. If that was the first one, that is pretty cool. I've had 2 fail before 70,000 one a honda, and the other a hyundai. And they both needed new engines which I couldn't afford. So when yours went it didn't do any internal damage to your car? Wow!
What you had fail were probably timing belts, not timing chains. My Kia had the timing belt fail at 6 years/55k miles. Almost any other vehicle and I would have been out of pocket for a new engine. I was sure glad that Kia and Hyundai have that 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty. My replacement engine didn't cost me a cent out of pocket. Hyundai and Kia switched over to timing chains around 2009 or 2010. Otherwise, I would not have bought another one.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:24 PM

6,648 posts, read 9,195,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My 2016 Silverado LTZ stickered for $52,430. I paid $36,622 in June 2016. Brand new truck, 12 miles on odo, no trade in. If you only managed to get $5k off sticker you aren't trying very hard.
EXACTLY! Similar situation here with my RAM.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,813,104 times
Not surprising. People in the US aren't drivers, they just like to hop into a living room and get to Walmart. Drivers will be driving high performance cars like you seen on German roads or really most any northern European country. We are a bunch of yahoos for sure. No one drives correctly on highways and just drives wherever. I pass on the right all the time because I have to in my high performance car with nearly 500hp/awd/handles like on rails. I wish I had my own lane since SUVs and Pickups just get in the way. I don't have to slow down around curves in roadways, but am always held up by the big crappy trucks/SUV mess in my way. They have to slow way down. Then there is the risk of killing other with these big ugly box truck/suvs on our roads. They don't brake well, handle well or really do anything well, so they just plow into anything around without being able to avoid. Ugh, they suck.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:38 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,720,745 times
I am just not an SUV guy. My chick loves them but we don't have the behemoth of SUV's. We just leased a Mazda CX9. It's a bog crossover and suits our needs just fine. I like it very much. I prefer ultra-luxury cars. I have been driving Cadillac, Lincolns, BMW, VW or Mercedes Benz my entire driving life. A friend of mine just bought a Ford Raptor. $73,000 dollars for a Ford Pickup truck. Dude should have his head examined and his wife should divorce him.

I am however excited about the upcoming Jeep Wrangler Pickup truck. I will most likely pick one up in the pre-owned market and that will replace my BMW convertible and or my Corvette.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive