Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 10:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Excellent point / question, Labonte . . .
No, It's not. Being distracted is a choice. No one is required to cycle through multiple screens while driving. All the regular, basic data is available on one screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 10:27 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Exactly.

My concern would be that when these gadget cars get older. Some of those sensors may fail and might be a tad expensive to fix.
That’s like those tire pressure sensors, the tire light has been on in my Tundra for about two years now. Those sensors are $50 each, and I’m not spending that money to replace them when I have three tire pressure gauges in my toolbox.

Most of the crap they put in cars over the past decade is useless to me. I read an article a few days ago that said the majority of people that have lane departure warning systems keep them turned off because they’re so annoying.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:29 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That failure potential is why I have a factory extended warranty on my 2014 Murano. The sensors are the potential failure point, IMHO. Repair is often just a matter of plugging in a module. The challenge is identifying it and the digging down through layers of stuff to access it.
Yep. What will you do when that module is no longer manufactured, and all the good ones in the wrecking yards have been used up? Send it out for repair? Good luck finding someone who knows how to trouble shoot the module and replace the bad components, assuming it isn't bedded in epoxy like a mid-70s Dodge voltage regulator!
Right now there are lots of 1920s through 1970s "classic" vehicles on the road, and many more that could be restored.
IMO, in 2118 there will be few restorable vehicles from the early to mid 2000s, because of the lack of replacement electronics! In fact, I have already modified a Jeep CJ-7 because the computer went badand the cost of a new one was prohibitive. I removed the computer and all associated wiring, replaced the carburetor with a non-computer controlled one, and rewired the ignition to the original Ford configuration (yes, AMC bought the ignition systems from Ford). It ran great!
That can't be done with newer vehicles.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
Temperature is important, so you know when to turn on the heater. Voltmeter will tell you of a battery problem. MPG display tells you how you are doing on that. Tire pressure, for those too lazy to check it regularly. I can see no reason for oil pressure or tachometer. I had a vacuum gage on a car many years ago. It was useful to maximize gas mileage.

Last edited by pvande55; 01-21-2018 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 PM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
... Why are the manufacturers putting all these distractions in the vehicles?
One possibility is that these gadgets sell. The buying-public equates such gadgets with "luxury", or overall technical sophistication. Another possibility is that the reconfigurable screens are cheaper to manufacture than real, mechanical gadgets. They may look fancy, but they're ultimately just a results of penny-pinching. And yet a third possibility is that the plethora of technological options render the driver helpless, thus thrusting him/her into the arms of the dealership. The dealer becomes the thoughtful paternal explainer (and eventually, repairer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Temperature is important, so you know when to turn on the heater. Voltmeter will tell you of a battery problem. MPG display tells you how you are doing on that. Tire pressure, for those too lazy to check it regularly. I can see no reason for oil pressure or tachometer. ...
Oil pressure and engine coolant temperature are the two most crucial gauges. They display critical engine operating conditions. Low oil pressure (at a given rpm) means impending disaster. Likewise with high coolant temperature.

RPM is important, first, to assess when to shift gears; and second, as a partner to oil pressure. 70 psi at 1000 rpm is excessive, and probably means clogged lines somewhere; maybe debris in the main oil gallery (feeding the crank bearings). 70 psi at 6000 rpm is entirely normal.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
IMHO more is better especially when it comes to information about your vehicle.
There are gauges out there that reads off of the OBDII port. Most often the port is under the dash right at the steering column. It's a matter of plugging it in and setting up for what you want it to monitor. You can have up to 6 things monitored at one screen. There is the Scan Gauge but most don't want to spend the bucks. Then there is the Ultra Gauge. It costs 80 bucks and you'll down load a book to see all of the screens and alarms and how to use it. It's really easy but it can set an alarm when the gas gets low, oil gets too hot, alternator output gets low, etc. If the cars/trucks computer monitors it, the Ultra Gauge can read it on a screen to you. That includes air/fuel ratios, engine core temp, HP output, rpms, throttle percentage, etc.It's a pretty dandy thing to have. Some of the new vehicles don't have any indicator for the alternator anymore. You can get that back with an Ultra Gauge. I have one for my F150 that does not monitor or have an alternator gauge in the dash. If you want to know what's going on under the hood, here's several ways to get the info:
UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center
https://www.scangauge.com/

Old 01-22-2018, 04:27 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Exactly.

My concern would be that when these gadget cars get older. Some of those sensors may fail and might be a tad expensive to fix.
Then you can’t read your transmission temperature just like your old car couldn’t.

Most of these extra gauges are using OBD2 information anyway. Your car’s computer has already been using this info for decades, they’re just allowing you to view that data on a pretty screen with a gauge graphic.

The benefit of all this data is your car’s ability to better understand its own performance. Now cars are able to go into a “limp home mode” when there’s a transmission or coolant overheat condition to both get you home and minimize damage. In the old days you just drove it till it busted then paid for a tow and a complete overhaul.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Yep. What will you do when that module is no longer manufactured, and all the good ones in the wrecking yards have been used up? Send it out for repair? Good luck finding someone who knows how to trouble shoot the module and replace the bad components, assuming it isn't bedded in epoxy like a mid-70s Dodge voltage regulator!
Right now there are lots of 1920s through 1970s "classic" vehicles on the road, and many more that could be restored.
IMO, in 2118 there will be few restorable vehicles from the early to mid 2000s, because of the lack of replacement electronics! In fact, I have already modified a Jeep CJ-7 because the computer went badand the cost of a new one was prohibitive. I removed the computer and all associated wiring, replaced the carburetor with a non-computer controlled one, and rewired the ignition to the original Ford configuration (yes, AMC bought the ignition systems from Ford). It ran great!
That can't be done with newer vehicles.
Cars aren’t and never were designed to become classics. If a 2014 Murano can’t be rebuilt in the year 2050, then oh well.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
But the screen can only display one thing at a time. on this Chevy, at least.. You can see the voltage if you want.. But, that's it.. If you want to see your fuel mileage, have to change to another screen.

I admit it.. For a while, I was just too into looking at all the info and I don't feel I was paying enough attention to the road.

As for the transmission temp sensor.. I suppose that is useful if you're towing. But if I'm not mistaken, all Chevys, at least, will throw the vehicle into limp mode if it gets too high anyway.
Everybody does that the first week of ownership, then you switch to the digital speedometer screen and never look at another gauge again like everybody else.

If an airline pilot can look at 50 different gauges while landing an airplane, I’m sure you can manage.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:53 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Cars aren’t and never were designed to become classics. If a 2014 Murano can’t be rebuilt in the year 2050, then oh well.
Yeah, I can't by any stretch of the imagination see a kid walk up to me at a CUV show in 2050 and saying, "Wow, a 2014 Murano! Is it an SL??"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive