Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 04:30 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times

Advertisements

GO to Walmart, and in the automotive dept. look for Ozium. It is a spray that you spray into your vehicle, and let it sit for a bit, it kills the bacteria in the air. It will kill the smell and the cause of the smell. It is fantastic. And car rental places use it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozium-Gly...&wl13=&veh=sem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 04:40 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
The smoke smell will never go away unless they spend some serious money on cleaning, which I doubt they will. Smoke is absorbed into the seats, carpets, headliner, etc. and is extremely difficult to get rid of. If it bothers you now just return it.
Take the car back, it will NEVER go away. My two sons and I spent a weekend, detailing my ex wife's car so she could sell it. She smokes in the car (and everywhere else ) We could not get the interior smell out , even scrubbing the headliner, seats, doors, carpets, etc with a professional cleaner from Auto Geek.

I finally started the car, put the ac on high, and closed the doors. I shot two whole containers of Fabreeze down the intake vent of the ac, and let that sit in there for an hour before I opened the doors. It got rid of a lot of it, and we sold the car.

A month later, the buyer called my son and said "We keep smelling some smoke inside the car and it is getting worse, did the previous owner smoke ? "

Take the car back.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Rent an ozone generator or have Carmax do so along with the detailing.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:35 PM

5,456 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Almost 3 years ago we bought a car for our youngest son. It was a great car, low mileage and a great price. We drove the car and realized it was a bargain because it was owned by a smoker for it's 31,000 miles.
The dealership (the dealer's wife was the original owner of the car) did an overnight ozone treatment on the car. The smell disappeared, so we bought it. About a week later the smell returned. The dealership offered another ozone generator treatment. We kindly refused the offer and began our own "treatment" for the cigarette smell.

We washed everything, carpets, windows seats, headliner, dash, steering wheel, visors, air conditioner vents, seatbelt, etc. We even took the back seat out and cleaned under and around it. Changed the cabin filter two or three times. We did the trunk too. We sprinkled baking soda over the seats and carpet after cleaning. We let it sit, then used a shop vac to remove it all. We followed this up a couple of weeks later with another interior wash, vac and clean job. We put a small container of crushed charcoal briquettes under one front seat and a container of fresh ground coffee under the other front seat. After about a month 90% of the odor was gone. We sprayed a bit of Fabreeze into the carpets on hot summer days for the next month or so. After about 6 months the smell was completely gone. We thought maybe we'd just gotten used to it, but Grandma rode in the car the first day when we bought it and wouldn't go near it again because of the smell After about 5 or 6 months Granny was forced to ride in the car and remarked how good it smelled with the cigarette odor gone.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:12 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Rent an ozone generator or have Carmax do so along with the detailing.
This. I bought an ozone machine on Amazon for a rental property. I had some folks who liked to use curry in everything they cooked. The house smelled god-awful when they moved out. Ozone machine took care of it. It also got the smoke smell out of a car my sister-in-law bought on the cheap. Plug it in, set it in the car with the windows up, and let it run for an hour.

Placing charcoal in the car also helps. I've used that before when I had a leaky gallon of milk in my car in the summer once.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:44 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
I accidently bought a car that had a strong smoke smell in it. When I first bought the car, the car had a strong scent of air freshener to cover up the original smoke smell. My buddy, who is a smoker, didn't detect it. I have a very good nose for things and even I didn't detect it.

It took about 3 days before the air freshener smell dissipated. The smoke smell was strong as ****. It took me 3 seperate treatments from a local detailer to get rid of the smoke. They cleaned everywhere; even the rubber mats in the back trunk. It's sad that people are dishonest.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:45 AM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Thanks, all! We've decided to turn the car back in today. I appreciate all the tips, but we figured that since we are in the window where we can return it with minimal fuss plus there are several other cars available (2014 Nissan Murano), we'll just try another. It actually might have worked out for the better because the one DH is having shipped down has fewer miles and a few extra upgrades for just a little more money.

It's funny because we have almost always bought used cars and this is the first time we've run into a smoke issue. But I will definitely keep these tips in mind. A couple of summers ago, I left a pack of ground beef in my cargo area. Ick. Luckily, the smell didn't stick around for too long, but the idea of charcoal or coffee back there would have cleared it up quicker.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:55 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Good decision .

I can't stand the smell of smoke. I used to own a Mazda Miata that I purchased used. It was clearly owned by a smoker (several cigarette burns on the seats), but remarkably it had zero cigarette odor. Even my wife, who complained about every other aspect of the car, didn't notice any smell. They must've only smoked with the top down.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:13 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Ozone WILL kill the smoke if properly done. It's often used in homes where they've had a fire. Generally takes about 12-24 hours to get the job done properly.

Old 01-26-2018, 02:45 PM

308 posts, read 499,124 times
I would also recommend ozone machine...works wonders. good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive