Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:53 AM

955 posts, read 2,006,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I have a new C63s with only 6000. But I also have an E430 with about 70K.

What brakes do you have the C63s? With the Carbon Ceramics you'll go a long, long time without having to change the rotors, and decent while for the pads - those aren't available on the C43. With the regular brakes it will be a miracle if you get only 2 pad changes in before 70k

From the forums, the C63 seems to be a little easier on brakes than the C43. As a guess, it will be partly because the C63 has bigger brakes stopping the same weight, so it should use less pad thickness, and the other part because the C43 has AWD, and Mercedes uses the brakes to take the place of real side-to-side and front-to-back differentials, asking it to do a little more than the C63 brakes (the mechanical rear differential on the C63 is an option I believe).

The E430, while a good car, isn't in the same class braking wise so you can't compare. The E430 weighs 200 pounds less than the C43, and stops are 15% longer. Not to mention less electronic nanny intervention, to some degree. For example, the standard W205 (C300) doesn't have the same brake components as the C43 and seems to last twice as long.

You have 2 great cars, but its just that your experience doesn't relate to the op, or my post yet. Come back and tell us how the C63s brakes are doing in 25,000 miles (and enjoy that car!!)

Of course, you are right that driving matters some, and what matters a lot is the environment you live in....if you are only driving on the open highway and never touch the brakes they will go forever, and where I am where there are 4 stop signs and 2 traffic lights before I can get anywhere, you'll use them a lot quicker, but the C43 reports on all the forums are not getting anywhere close to 70,000 miles (or even 30,000) as asked. I suppose a pure highway cruiser could get 30,000 miles, but no one else seems to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,441,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
I have a 340i MSport w/Track package and adaptive suspension and all the other desirable bits currently. I had several Audi S4s prior. The 340 gets great gas mileage, is comfortable and sounds nice, and it’s a riot to drive at the limit. Anything less than spirited though and it’s woefully disengaged from the driver. There’s no steering feel, throttle response is awful and it’s just generally a boring car.

The good news is ALL my maintenance is taken care of during the lease and this car leases stupidly well, meaning you can probably get one for much less than the others even at a higher MSRP. If I had to do it all over again I’d get a track package 330i over the 340. It’s just better in everyday driving.

This is a cheap to operate bridge car for me and the lease is up in 2019. I’ll be replacing it with an S5 Sportback or a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. I can’t wait.
didn't know maintenance was included - is this for all BMW? I will probably test drive the 330 and 340 to see if I want the additional power.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,003,225 times
Here you go https://www.bmwusa.com/explore/bmw-v...onditions.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
didn't know maintenance was included - is this for all BMW? I will probably test drive the 330 and 340 to see if I want the additional power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive