Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 10:11 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Suggest you not worry about 0-60 time. It is not relevant and will not really impact you ever.
Except in on ramps, merges from said on ramps, pulling out from a driveway with a blind corner a few feet away, etc. All of which I've experienced multiple times.

Quote:
It is hard to compare a vette to a mustang. They are different concepts. Stangs are pony cars. They go fast from light to light. they are not much use on a twisty.
Know how I know you've never driven a modern Mustang on a twisty road, road course, or autocross track? Dumb statement left over from the Fox Mustang days (and even then, easily fixed. I've autocrossed many Fox chassis Mustangs that were VERY good in the twisty bits).

You're right in that they are very different cars, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
I have the similar fantasy debate. My first new car was a 1966 Mustang. I have always loved the Corvette, especially the C6 model. In either case I would look for the most luxury with the lowest power. The Mustang is more practical for carrying with the back seat and trunk, and will provide better vision as a daily driver, the Vette will be more fun.
Be sure to report back with your choice.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:44 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
I'm planning to buy a used "fun car" this year. This is will not be a daily driver. My "musts" are: manual transmission, V8 Engine, rear wheel drive, no turbos or superchargers. I dislike the styling of the newer Camaro, so I've easily ruled that out. Ideally, I'd like to spend less than $30K and want something with fewer than 50K miles and a 0 - 60 time of ~5 seconds or less. I'm also looking for something reliable that I could take on vacation or weekend road trips, so I'm not looking at older "Classic" cars.

As of now, the cars that appeal most to me that fit this criteria are the 2007-2010 C6 Corvette vs. 2015 - 2017 Mustang GT. As for the Corvettes, this would most likely be a base model but I have seen a few Z06's around this price and mileage in my area. I have a soft spot for Mustangs as I've owned them in the past.

I'd like to hear others thoughts and opinions on this topic. What would you choose and why? What other car would you recommend instead?
You are right on limiting your C6 Vette choice to the later years. We had many teething problems with earlier C6's. My early '05 had all the problems. I loved the car, but not the manual tranny. They got better in later years. Z06 is just about more power. The power is already insane for 99% of driving.

The only reason I'd go Mustang is if I needed a rear seat.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Except in on ramps, merges from said on ramps, pulling out from a driveway with a blind corner a few feet away, etc. All of which I've experienced multiple times.

Know how I know you've never driven a modern Mustang on a twisty road, road course, or autocross track? Dumb statement left over from the Fox Mustang days (and even then, easily fixed. I've autocrossed many Fox chassis Mustangs that were VERY good in the twisty bits).

You're right in that they are very different cars, however.
1. No. 4.8 seconds vs 5.3 really makes no difference. Even 4.8 vs. 6.2 is not going to make a difference in these situations. Not to mention no street driver is ever going to make the spec times. Besides only an idiot (or a foolish kid) comes out of any of those situations at tire squealing maximum acceleration in a performance car. Only ridiculously slow hypermilage type cars or super cheapo cars fail to perform sufficiently in these situations today. Any car in the 280-350 HP range will do fine and most decent cars are there now. This is 2018 btw.

2. It appears you have not driven a modern Vette on twisty and then driven a Mustang on the same. They are not in the same league. Mustang cannot even compare to a Miata in this regard. Yes they are better than they were, no, they are not sports cars. They are still pony cars and do not pretend to be sports cars. You had best make certain you know what you are talking about before you call people dumb. If your statement is dumber than the guy you called dumb, where does that leave you?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:15 AM

957 posts, read 2,021,692 times
I think both are good choices, but they do definitely drive differently. If you haven't driven both, do so, and I suspect you'll find one much more to your liking.

That said , if you can stretch your budget a bit, a much better choice would be a 2014 Corvette to get into the C7. The 2007-2010 Corvette (c6) is a great car, but as the C6 came out for model year 2005 and obviously designed before that, you are looking at a car (and in particular an infotainment system) designed 4 or so years before the very first iphone came out. It handles and drives great and is a great value, but is missing the standard features you'll get on most newer cars, and the gap only increases each year. Normally that isn't so important for those looking for a "fun" car, but you won't miss out on the fun factor moving up a generation either.

There are always a handful listed for sale in the 37-38k range, and if you can get them to knock a few grand off asking price, you aren't too far away from your budget.

Otherwise, good luck with your decision (my preference is Corvette, but recognize others will feel differently for valid reasons) and let us know what you decide!

Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post

The current Mustang, which is what he's looking at, is as fast and less bulky than the current and previous M3/M4 for a lot less money. It's as nice as the E46 M3 that you were talking about. It really is about the same kind of car as the M3/4.

Yeah, as a BMW owner, I know all about their stigmas as well, though my older 7 series isn't as bad about that as the 3 series I have...
I'll defer. They keep refining Mustangs. I hope they have reached that level of sophistication, real or imagined, with BMWs the past few years. If so, the game has really changed for the better.

My buddy's 2013 Audi RS5, which I have driven, is a gorgeous competitor but waaaay out of OP's price range.

Interestingly, the 2010 Audi S5 (last of the V8s) is just a bit above OP's price range, similar to M3 of that era. I test drove a medium blue S5 back then for perhaps an hour, it had plenty of squirt but wasn't sharp enough for my tastes (so I bought a 996 Turbo). Another wild card option for OP!

Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
If you have that kind of money to buy a toy, why not go with an older Lamborghini or Ferrari? Ive seen numerous older mid 90s Diablos in the 40-60K range!

Old 02-05-2018, 11:29 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,877,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If you have that kind of money to buy a toy, why not go with an older Lamborghini or Ferrari? Ive seen numerous older mid 90s Diablos in the 40-60K range!
Too much in repairs, Italians break down really bad worse than any other car makers.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:31 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
30 k is way different than 40 o 60k
Not to mention use ability.

Old 02-05-2018, 11:34 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
I think both are good choices, but they do definitely drive differently. If you haven't driven both, do so, and I suspect you'll find one much more to your liking.

That said , if you can stretch your budget a bit, a much better choice would be a 2014 Corvette to get into the C7. The 2007-2010 Corvette (c6) is a great car, but as the C6 came out for model year 2005 and obviously designed before that, you are looking at a car (and in particular an infotainment system) designed 4 or so years before the very first iphone came out. It handles and drives great and is a great value, but is missing the standard features you'll get on most newer cars, and the gap only increases each year. Normally that isn't so important for those looking for a "fun" car, but you won't miss out on the fun factor moving up a generation either.

There are always a handful listed for sale in the 37-38k range, and if you can get them to knock a few grand off asking price, you aren't too far away from your budget.

Otherwise, good luck with your decision (my preference is Corvette, but recognize others will feel differently for valid reasons) and let us know what you decide!
I'll have to think a bit as to what my C7 has that the C6 did not.

Better Bose sound. Built in vs added Sub.

No more CD changer.

*Mag Ride. But they had an earlier version, not worth it IMO in the C6. This one is worth it.
*Weather, Eco, tour, sport and track modes. These are worth it if you can go C7. Like having 3 different cars.

D shaped steering wheel if that means anything to you.

Smaller rear hatch compartment. Active rear hatch pull down.

Neater display with apps I don't use.

Aux input for Pandora that I do use.

8 speed auto vs 6 speed manual in the C6.

Remote and cell phone start and monitoring.

Non-rocking seats.

e-brake instead of lever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive