Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times

Advertisements

1. What's the difference between a 4 wheel drive and a 4X4?

2. I see some transfer cases are electronically shifted and others are mechanical. Which is better? Why?

3. I see some 4 wheel drives have locking hubs and others do not. Why is this? Which is better....and why?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 05:36 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
No difference, just different ways of saying the same thing.

Quote:
2. I see some transfer cases are electronically shifted and others are mechanical. Which is better? Why?
Internals of the transfer case are the same, but I personally like the manual shift better because there is no wires to break/corrode and there is no question if it actually shifted into or out of 4X4.

Quote:
3. I see some 4 wheel drives have locking hubs and others do not. Why is this? Which is better....and why?
Again my personal preference is manual locking hubs. Have changed a vehicle from automatic hubs to manual because a hub blew apart and it was $600 for the drivers side automatic, or $125 for a pair of Manual Warn Premium hubs. Right now in my driveway I have two 4X4 vehicles, mine has manual hubs, the wife has automatic. Both do the job, they are about even now for strength and reliability, but the Manual ones are MUCH cheaper to fix if/when they break. If hers ever fails, they are going to be changed to manual hubs and she doesn't mind turning them in when the weather gets nasty.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I agree with Bydand, Deez Nuttz.

4X4 is just a abbreviated name for 4 wheel drive.

As for the different ways of activating the system . . . basically personal preference but the manual approach is less complicated and therefore less likely to fail as well as less expensive to repair.

In either case, the end result is the same.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:53 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

4X4 is just a abbreviated name for 4 wheel drive.
Oh, ok. I would think 4WD would be the proper abbreviation.

Also out of curiosity if you did not lock the hubs and you put the transfer case in either 4 high or 4 low what would happen?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:47 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Oh, ok. I would think 4WD would be the proper abbreviation.

Also out of curiosity if you did not lock the hubs and you put the transfer case in either 4 high or 4 low what would happen?
You spin the front drive shaft and axle shafts, but the power never makes it to the front wheels. That's about it. I have done it before, and if you need it in 4 wheel, you know what is wrong in a very short time because you are either stuck, or darn near got stuck. Never did any damage if that is what you are looking for.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,970,964 times
The numerical designator is better, because it tells you more. For instance, a twin screw three axle class 8 truck is actually a 4WD, but it is NOT a 4X4, it is actually a 6X4.
The first number in the numerical designator is the number of wheels on the vehicle. Keep in mind that dual wheels count as one wheel, as in a one ton dually pickup with four wheel drive is not a 6X6, it is a 4X4.
The "X"is read "by".
the second number is the number of wheels that are powered. Thus, a four wheeled vehicle which has two powered wheels is a 4X2 (NEVER a "2X4", that is a piece of lumber), a four wheeled vehicle that can power all four wheels is a 4X4.
A three axle truck that powers only the rear axles is a 6X4. If all three axles are powered, it is a 6X6. A three axle truck that only has one powered axle is a 6X2.
A "normal" bicycle or motorcycle would be a 2X1. Yes, 2X2 bikes HAVE been made.
Your kid's tricycle is a 3X1!
Yes, a unicycle is a 1X1.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:12 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,170,887 times
just don't confuse '4WD' and 'AWD'. THOSE are different.

Mike

Old 03-13-2009, 11:43 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,087 times
Manual locking hubs are slightly better for fuel mileage, and save wear and tear on the front axle. Many (most) modern 4X4's have front axles that are always locked in, and only release at the transfer case. I haven't seen a 4X4 with independent front suspension that had lockouts.

I prefer a lever to shift into 4 wheel drive, for the reasons mentioned above. I also believe that it should be a little bit difficult to engage four-low. I have seen disastrous results with an electronic transfer case that was shifted into low range accidentally (although apparently you can drive a GMC Tahoe at 70 down the freeway in four-low...for a while).

Old 03-14-2009, 12:05 AM

2,023 posts, read 5,312,024 times
Old thread, anyway manual transfer case and hubs are the best cause you know when the hubs are locked in or out, same with t case it's in or it's out, you can always tell. With a button you don't always know if it's 2wd or in 4wd they sometimes do fail and at the worst possible time.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:56 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Manual locking hubs are slightly better for fuel mileage, and save wear and tear on the front axle. Many (most) modern 4X4's have front axles that are always locked in, and only release at the transfer case. I haven't seen a 4X4 with independent front suspension that had lockouts.
Some of Toyota's early IFS trucks ('86 to '88, possibly other years too) had manual hubs. They do save wear and tear on the axles and front driveshafts, at the expense of having to get out of the vehicle to lock the hubs. With my vehicles, I often locked the hubs well in advance of when I might need to use 4wd. I would do so at the trailhead if taking a 4wd trail, then shift the transfer case as needed. Sometimes in the winter I would just drive around with the hubs locked if a storm was expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
I prefer a lever to shift into 4 wheel drive, for the reasons mentioned above. I also believe that it should be a little bit difficult to engage four-low. I have seen disastrous results with an electronic transfer case that was shifted into low range accidentally (although apparently you can drive a GMC Tahoe at 70 down the freeway in four-low...for a while).
A shift lever is simpler and much less likely to be problematic than a pushbutton system. The advantage to the pushbutton is that you don't have an extra lever sticking up through the transmission tunnel into the cabin of the vehicle. On trucks with bench seats this is desireable if you plan to use the middle section to carry a passenger. On my Chevy Colorado Crew Cab, I have an automatic transmission and a pushbutton for transfer case gear selection. It would be very difficult to drive with six people in the truck if I had a shift lever (or two) sticking up through the floor. Having the controls at hand while driving is much nicer in that situation.

As far as driving 70 MPH in 4low: ! I've done so in 4hi without any problems once or twice, but usually if I need 4wd, it's because of snow, in which case, I don't drive quite that fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive