Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which SUV?
Chevy Traverse 9 14.75%
Mazda CX-9 16 26.23%
Toyota Highlander 27 44.26%
Honda Pilot 9 14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:11 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,078,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Subaru Ascent
Beyond the price/size class for OP. But as an owner of a 2018 Outback Touring, wonder why the OP didn't consider this brand.
Seems she needs a taller cargo height based on choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:15 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,683,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Are these really SUV's?
They're all crossovers. I wouldn't buy any of them, but that's mostly because I prefer a midsize SUV with real AWD and a V8, none of these fit the bill (not many do until you get into Tahoe territory). If I had to make a choice? Probably the Highlander, we've had pretty good luck with the Toyota we've got and it's not the worst vehicle out there.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 AM

3,455 posts, read 4,794,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
They're all crossovers. I wouldn't buy any of them, but that's mostly because I prefer a midsize SUV with real AWD and a V8, none of these fit the bill (not many do until you get into Tahoe territory). If I had to make a choice? Probably the Highlander, we've had pretty good luck with the Toyota we've got and it's not the worst vehicle out there.
Yep they are all crossovers. Not a single SUV on the list.

For those that don't know, a "crossover" is a sort of somewhat SUV/Minvan hybrid type body on a front wheel drive car chassis platform. It is really just a front wheel drive car with a different body.

A SUV is based on a truck platform and has either rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive and is capable of hauling and towing loads comparable to a truck.

I personally can't stand the crossovers and prefer full size SUV's but to each his own and they sell plenty of crossovers these days.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,229,967 times
Toyota or Honda for quality and resale value. Mazda isn't quite there.

The Chevy will drop like a rock in resale value, and I don't believe their long-term quality can yet match Honda or Toyota, in spite of there recent improvements.

Toyota and Honda seem to make mostly boring, no-drama vehicles, but they do it really well. It's hard to go wrong with them.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM

24,512 posts, read 18,020,565 times
Those are minivans with hinged rear doors. What is this for? Hauling the Little League team?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Those are minivans with hinged rear doors. What is this for? Hauling the Little League team?
Yes that is basically what they are and no they are for soccer moms, baseball teams use suburbans. lol

Old 02-12-2018, 09:19 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,055,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Yep they are all crossovers. Not a single SUV on the list.

For those that don't know, a "crossover" is a sort of somewhat SUV/Minvan hybrid type body on a front wheel drive car chassis platform. It is really just a front wheel drive car with a different body.

A SUV is based on a truck platform and has either rear wheel drive or 4 wheel drive and is capable of hauling and towing loads comparable to a truck.

I personally can't stand the crossovers and prefer full size SUV's but to each his own and they sell plenty of crossovers these days.
RAV 4s and CRVs were considered SUVs when they first came out, even though they were not truck based. Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees were also considered SUVs even though they were also unibody, non trucks. Crossovers were the tall wagons that came out afterwards, like the original Pacifica and Outback wagons. It's kind of lazy to call all modern small SUVs crossovers just because they aren't BOF trucks.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
RAV 4s and CRVs were considered SUVs when they first came out, even though they were not truck based. Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees were also considered SUVs even though they were also unibody, non trucks. Crossovers were the tall wagons that came out afterwards, like the original Pacifica and Outback wagons. It's kind of lazy to call all modern small SUVs crossovers just because they aren't BOF trucks.
Ummm, everything on the OP's list is categorized as a crossover by the manufacturer. I'm not sure why you felt the need to go trying to cherry pick a few to argue about. Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees were in fact originally on frames built like a truck. They welded the body to the frame instead of using body mounts to make them stiffer since they were designed for rough offroad use. Later after Chrysler bough Jeep and began to ruin them, they did go unibody. That is why they are pieces of junk if you try to use them for offroading and that is why the newer ones have pretty much disappeared from the offroad scene. As for the early RAV4 and CRVs, I don't remember how they were originally classified and don't care enough to look it up. I never would have even remotely considered buying one. The "crossover" category came along because manufacturers had to separate that class from SUV's because they wanted consumers to not lump them into the category of big, heavy, gas guzzling trucks since they were marketing them to a different consumer.

Anyway, all crossovers are just unibody car platforms with a different body on them.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM

10,835 posts, read 7,224,770 times
I have a Honda CRV and love it. I would upgrade to a Pilot if I needed a bigger SUV.

Not on your list, but I used to own a Kia Sportage. WORST CAR EVER! we used to wait until there were at least 3 things wrong with it before taking it in for warranty repairs.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:03 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Tough choices. All good cars, not much difference.

We looked at a traverse a few years ago. We had heard the back seat is incredibly hard to figure out how to fold it down to access the way back. We tried it and could not figure it out. Asked the salesman for help and he could not figure it out. He went and got someone else and they could not figure it out. They said if we would wait a couple of minutes the guy who really knew these cars would be off the phone. When he could not figure it out, a manager came out and asked us to come back tomorrow and they woudl show us how it is done. It is really quite simple once you know how he assured us.

Remarkably I managed to wait until we were back in our car to burst out laughing.

Ultimately my wife decided to get another converted full sized van, so we did not chose any small SUV.

One of my partners had a Highlander. It was a great truck. He beat the snot out of it offroading. At about 250,000 miles he parked it at his cabin in Montana for use there. I think it is still there being used on occasions.

My SIL has an MX-9. It was a great car for her. She uses it basically as a grocery getter/band mom car. It works well for that. Not really an off road rugged type vehicle was my impression, but impressions can be wrong. I have not driven it, but the ride is decent.

I know two people with Pilots. I do not know the vehicles well, but I have been in them and driven one for a few hours. Other than being a bit cramped, it was fine. I did not come away wanting to buy one, but I did nto come away hating it either. It was a good car for its purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive