Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:46 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfingCat View Post
Yes, unless it's a honda. Honda's can go forever.
I think Honda is trading on their vehicle quality from 25 years ago..... I recently bought a new Accord and it doesn't give me that million mile quality feel. Rattle in the door was traced to a loose weld, paint quality is terrible. Car is serving its purpose but I probably won't buy another one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Wow, 80,000 miles a year, quite impressive!

I realize if people wanted to, they can put 100,000 miles or more on a vehicle in a year, but that's still a lot of driving.
220 miles a day.......to me that is a lot of road time but if you are a salesman in a big state like Texas I could see it happening.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28079 View Post
5 of my cars are over 100K and no issues.

All but one are German (BMW's, Audi, Porsche) so I know they are well built, so no worries for me, they all drive like new.

The 335d I expect to exceed 350k miles with no major issues (removed the pollution control).
335d's are AWESOME! The torque is intoxicating especially with a performance chip!

An acquaintance just dumped a 10 yr old Benz S550 with 135K miles on it.......car was great for 9.5 years then the repairs started. He spent more on ONE repair than he got for the whole car on trade. He missed his window to dump that one (before the big repair). Technology failed in that car, the motor/trans were fine. This is the problem with many of the high end cars today. I'd try to put 200K on a 1990 560 SEL before I try to do it with a new S560!

Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 PM

780 posts, read 2,923,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Say... 285,000 miles?

Please list some model-specific examples.
Not sure about 285k miles since I have never bought one with that many miles.

That said, late last year I bought a '7 Toyota Matrix M-Theory Edition (manual transmission) with 277k miles. It was in dire need of a new clutch set, so I spent about $550 to have clutch cover, plate, and flywheel replaced (including labor). I also spent more on a near-failing starter motor ($40), leaking valve cover gasket ($12), accoutrements (~$50), and badly dented left fender (aftermarket replacement ~$40) and front bumper cover (aftermarket ~$60). Labor for body work was $400, labor for the rest of mechanical work was about $50. A friend who's a professional did a paint correction and wrapped the hood with carbon fiber vinyl, mostly to hide the stone chips, for nothing. Let's hope that all the effort would make my 15yo son more interested in learning to drive.

Within ten weeks of the Matrix, I bought a '5 BMW 325Xi Touring (yes, wagon) with a manual transmission with 213k miles. So far, it had front half shafts replaced (torn outer boots) and steering rack bellows replaced. Cost is ~$350 with labor. The half shafts were cheap at $75 and $46. Bellows were only about $25 for the pair including shipping. It's rather rusty, but for the price I could just dispose of it when I'm done.

I have to say that the bimmer scares me a whole lot more than the Toyota eventhough it has ~64k more miles.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
The OP disappeared.

I buy old Japanese vehicles and want to find them preferably with less than 200K, because I expect to get rid of them when they are pushing 300K. By then, other parts are starting to fall off and quit working, even if they're still running fine.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:50 PM

807 posts, read 688,549 times
Quote:
Do high miles scare you?

Say... 285,000 miles?

Nope. I'm about to crack 300k in a 1995 Audi A6 Quattro (within a thousand miles). Has the original engine, transmission, and clutch.

With the proper driving habits and maintenance, any car can hit 200k miles easily. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many people who know how to do either of those.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:44 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Nope. I'm about to crack 300k in a 1995 Audi A6 Quattro (within a thousand miles). Has the original engine, transmission, and clutch.

With the proper driving habits and maintenance, any car can hit 200k miles easily. Unfortunately, there just aren't that many people who know how to do either of those.
I wouldn't say 'any'. I bought a new Audi Allroad 2.7T in 2004. It was for all practical purposes dead after 75k miles, even though it had full factory maintenance the entire time. By 75k I had replaced all 6 of the coil packs, the transmission (twice), 2 turbos, replaced 2 of the air suspension bags as well as the manifold block, multiple suspension and body control sensors, and the valve cover and intake manifold were leaking oil. The repairs, even at my local Audi independent, were more than the car was worth. Sure, any one of the things wouldn't have been a deal breaker. But all of them together spelt the end of that car. So sad - I loved it when it worked. But I should have known when I bought it. The manual suspension dash buttons were somehow both labeled as 'down' buttons. The fact that the OEM supplier of buttons actually printed the down symbol on 2 very differently shaped buttons, and a guy on the line installed them, and then the QA person passed it, should have told me to run right away.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post

I bought an Audi A6 new in 2001 and it was lemon lawed back to the manufacturer. Car had an oil leak they couldn't repair. 2.7 twin turbo motors were notoriously bad. So sometimes it has nothing to do with proper driving habits and maintenance!

Old 03-26-2018, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Say... 285,000 miles?

While the price would have to reflect the mileage a high mile car that has been well maintained is nothing to shy away from. However dealers dont like them as last week i tried to trade in my mint condition 08 Yaris sedan, all maintenance done , rust proofed every year,looks like a brand new car in and out but it has close to 300K mileage , i thought it would be worth around $2K, to the dealer it was worth $800 so i decided i may as well keep it for that price.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:45 PM

3,551 posts, read 2,530,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While the price would have to reflect the mileage a high mile car that has been well maintained is nothing to shy away from. However dealers dont like them as last week i tried to trade in my mint condition 08 Yaris sedan, all maintenance done , rust proofed every year,looks like a brand new car in and out but it has close to 300K mileage , i thought it would be worth around $2K, to the dealer it was worth $800 so i decided i may as well keep it for that price.
I think you would be lucky to get $2000 in a private sale with that mileage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive