Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,759,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
People in the merged lane should be paying attention to mergers. And a lot of the time somebody, in an attempt not to look "greedy" will coerce the entire merging lane to begin merging a 1/4 mile before it's necessary. By taking the "lead" in merging sooner, anybody else behind them looks like a jerk by passing them and trying to merge closer to the end of the lane.

I see this happen often on my commute, and you'll have a mile long line before it's necessary to merge because people don't want to be seen "cutting" the line, when in fact they themselves made the line long which amplifies bad feelings when people properly zipper merge closer the the lane end.
Looking at a different approach...I'm in the right lane on the highway because I know my exit is coming up and traffic is flowing smoothly. The exit lane in this case is extremely long and merges onto another highway and when I merge over the traffic is still flowing but has slowed down and proceeds to get slower and slower even though it is apparent the flow of traffic on the other highway is steadily moving. Impatient drivers see everyone in the correct lane but decide they don't want to wait because its too slow, so right before the merge they cut over causing everyone to brake and then others follow suit. This is the reason traffic is slow to begin with; people cutting in instead of merging over when they had the chance. They aren't the only ones to blame...I also blame the "enablers" those that allow these people in. The more they are let in, the more they will do it. If everyone moved over when they had the chance, the flow of traffic would be much more efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:25 AM

163 posts, read 138,174 times
Could you be more specific? What exactly do you mean by "cutting in?"

Old 02-22-2018, 09:29 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I used to get mad about it but I started thinking you know nothing about that person. They could be a raging Ahole or they could be rushing to a hospital because a loved one is dying or their kid just got shot at school, wife killed in a car wreck, house burned down, etc.
I just want to get home safe to my family. I may sound callous but I don’t much care if you don’t get to yours because you rive like a moron. . There are too many raging psychos out there that I simply don’t want to deal with them. So I’m not going to get in a pissing contest over sinething retarded as a lane change.

Granted if you asked me this 25/28 years ago I would be that raging Ahole
When I was 17 I would get angry when someone tried to cut me off, but I've grown up and now I couldn't care less. If I get home 3 seconds later because someone squeezed in front of me at an on/off-ramp, I'll live. I certainly won't waste any more of my day worrying about it or getting mad.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

The fact that is is theoretically beneficial does not make it non-rude or otherwise socially acceptable. Continuing in a lane you know is ending so you can get ahead of people who are waiting to move ahead (and prevented by people cutting over) is a very self centered narcissistic thing to do. It is really the same as walking up to a line of people waiting for something, going out around the line and then cutting in.
It's not the same at all.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:17 AM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Exactly Crashj007!

I do hate lane cutters into a long queue of cars at an off/on ramp- that’s different and I must admit that I am far more amenable to generously allowing a low profile vehicle in front of me rather than a monster lifted truck with tinted windows in a heavy, stop and go traffic situation, thereby effectively blocking my view of all the traffic ahead and what to be on alert for. I’ll still adjust my speed slightly to let just about anybody in that’s signaling- no skin off my back.
Mmhmm. If you drive one of these ridiculously huge trucks/SUVs, don't be surprised when you seem to have a hard time getting let over. The rest of us are tired of you blocking our view and don't want you in front of us. A regular/low profile car, letting them in is not a problem. Even when it's some nonsense like someone squeezing in front of me when there's plenty of room behind.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janet bubby View Post
Mmhmm. If you drive one of these ridiculously huge trucks/SUVs, don't be surprised when you seem to have a hard time getting let over. The rest of us are tired of you blocking our view and don't want you in front of us. A regular/low profile car, letting them in is not a problem. Even when it's some nonsense like someone squeezing in front of me when there's plenty of room behind.
Blocking your view of what?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Just get an adult sized vehicle and the problem is solved.

Do you really think you are "teaching a lesson" to those of us in pick up trucks? What you are really doing is foolishly endangering your life. You do know those big vehicles tend to have blind spots do you not? Do you think your little car will fare well in a collision with a rolling living room?

Driving with emotion rather then sense is always dangerous, usually mostly dangerous to you, but also to others. How will you feel if you angst towards large vehicles gets a kid killed?

Also there are work vans that sometimes cannot see much at all behind/beside them. I know people who turn their blinkers on for a certain time and then just change lanes. I think it is stupid and rude, but they expect people to see their blinker and get out of the way. If you are charging up to cut them off when you see their blinker, you are going to get crushed. I have no experience with it, but I expect being paralyzed for the rest of your life is less than fun - but at least you taught them a lesson for driving such a big vehicle.

Have you ever considered that the person you are cutting off because you are upset about he big vehicle they drive might actually need that big vehicle? Are they handicapped? Huge family? Working? Do they own a farm or other property requiring hauling and or a rugged vehicle? Just because you live in a condo and never get your hands dirty does not mean others live the same lifestyle. Yes there are people who needlessly buy large vehicles just because they like them better. In you judgement of those people, do you make any effort to discern which ones they are, or do you cut off everyone in a large vehicle?

Old 02-22-2018, 11:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srschirm View Post
It's not the same at all.
Well, you are right. Except that it is exactly the same.

Whether you are using your feet or wheels to go around the line of people and cut to the front is not a difference. Would you consider ti the same if the person cutting in was on roller skates? A bicycle? Motorcycle? Putting yourself ahead of others is narcissistic and rude no matter what means you use to do it.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 AM

50,283 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
I hate line cutters to but if you aren't tail gating it's easy to see around a high profile vehicle.

Old 02-22-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Well, you are right. Except that it is exactly the same.

Whether you are using your feet or wheels to go around the line of people and cut to the front is not a difference. Would you consider ti the same if the person cutting in was on roller skates? A bicycle? Motorcycle? Putting yourself ahead of others is narcissistic and rude no matter what means you use to do it.
The act of driving isn't a line, and on every road larger than one lane, there's a lane that's designated as a passing lane, to help you get ahead of the "line." In America, it's the left lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive