Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 12:36 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Youre correct.
But it wasn't just the Red Line. The same V6 was also an option in the regular-trim Vue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:35 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
But it wasn't just the Red Line. The same V6 was also an option in the regular-trim Vue.
What does it matter where the engine comes from when the car is made in Mexico?

Old 03-31-2008, 06:06 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,933,800 times
[quote=OhEdo;3309866]The Trailblazer V6 engine is assembled in China from largely American machined parts then re-imported. QUOTE]

Hmmm.........i didn't think the Trailblazer had a V6, my '03 has a straight six.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
What are you asking me for?

Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM

18,463 posts, read 15,242,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
What are you asking me for?
You were in on the VUE discussion, but it would have been a better question for OhEdo. I just thought it was a little odd, noting the Japanese engine when the whole car is not even American made. Sorry to catch you in the crossfire.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 AM

402 posts, read 1,016,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
Yeah, but you're paying for that resale value up front anyway so in the end it's a wash...
Live and Let Live...your money...spend it the way you want. Although, cars are the biggest waste of money.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:06 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,447 times
Quote:

Well... since the entire idea of the Saturn brand was for America to show the world they can make a better small car than the Japanese, and given that they've used Honda engines in the past, and now some European platforms (i.e. Aura, Sky), I'd say it's a pretty flippin big deal myself. Despite being built in Mexico which doesn't help that mission either...

Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,216,697 times
I can only go by my experience 4 out of 4 US made vehicles that I owned were in love with the shop. Most was warrenty work but my time means something to me. In fact the Ford ranger I owned bought new had more shop time in its first year than all of the Japanese vehicles I owned combined.
*** vehicles with 0 shop time:
1. 1984 Nissan Pulsar NX
2. 1986 honda CRX
3. 1994 Toyota pick up 4 cyl.
4. 2006 Toyota Solara
*** vehicles with less than 2 visits to the shop
1. 2000 Toyota tacoma 1 repair due to defect.
The ranger I owned never took less than 3 visits for any defect.
1. Intermitant wipers 3 visits
2. Cruise control came on by itself 3 visits
3. Right front brake caliper hanging up 3 visits
4. Engine spark knock at least 5 visits and I gave up.
Olds cutless supreme sl coup after 2 years/ 24,000 miles 1 thing after another. I was afraid to drive it around the block.
The other two were simply minor annoyances seat belts getting stuck, chronic head light burning out etc.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:15 AM

156 posts, read 562,560 times
Quote:
You were in on the VUE discussion, but it would have been a better question for OhEdo. I just thought it was a little odd, noting the Japanese engine when the whole car is not even American made. Sorry to catch you in the crossfire.
I was not arguing the merits of what is made where, nor was I trying to inventory the country of origin for all parts that go into a Trailblazer or a Vue. Somebody mentioned that they heard that the Trailblazer was built in China so I attempted to clarify the issue by saying it was only the V6 engine that was built there (well, there may be some minor trim pieces etc., but the engine is the only significant item). I have since been very astutely corrected that the Trailblazer has a straight 6, not a V6. I mentioned the Vue's Honda-sourced V6 simply to further illustrate that all kinds of parts in all kinds of cars are made in all kinds of places. To me the Honda engine emphasized that particular point that much more; I wasn't trying to say one should not buy a Vue because its engine is made by Honda, and I'm not sure how that post could be interpreted that way, especially since I go on to discuss my opinion on the merits of various cars. Besides which, that first paragraph was solely a discussion of engines - why would I feel the need to point out that the Vue is assembled in Mexico?? The point was that historically, engines were sacred cows that almost "had" to be built by the company whose name is on the car. Heck, back in the day each division within GM all had their own engines, although I'm sure there was a lot of parts sharing. And you ignored that I also mentioned the GM 3800 series V6 as one of the most reliable, if not exciting, engines out there. To be honest, I don't know where the 3800 is made anymore and it really doesn't matter.
I just like cars and driving and thought I'd throw my two cents in there. You guys are a tough crowd.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:17 AM

156 posts, read 562,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLifes2shrt View Post
Live and Let Live...your money...spend it the way you want. Although, cars are the biggest waste of money.
I agree - car buying is a personal decision, but it should at least be an informed one. I am a little curious, though, why someone who thinks cars are "the biggest waste of money" would be reading and posting to this thread. Don't get me wrong; this is not an "attack," I'm just a little curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive