Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:26 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,063,872 times

Advertisements

If we're talking commuting, then yes, it gets old or, more correctly, is old.

Pleasure driving, however, is an entirely different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 PM

5,416 posts, read 5,913,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I think open road is the deciding factor...

I'm always up for drive... drove to Italy once just for pizza.

Vacation driving with no set schedule for me is very different than commute driving a battling traffic...

Learned traffic can most definitely make driving a chore... but then I don't get paid to drive.

If I was paid by the hour... turn on the music of your choice and enjoy the ride

Wow, this reminds me, we should start another thread of where did you drive for something non essential and how far away was it.

Twenty five years ago a buddy and I drove from NC to Mass. to get 4 fresh lobster for dinner. A whole day out of our lives and then we were too tired to cook them when we got back. Had to sleep a bit first.

I've never been too tired to begin a drive. I love to drive, but I do get tired of driving occasionally. A bit or rest and I'm rejuvenated and ready to drive again. Trucks, minivans, sport cars, 4x4's doesn't matter, they all hold a particular and unique thrill for me.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:37 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,436,291 times
I was in Salzburg Austria and getting together with some friends for a day at the lake... the weather was changing with rain predicted everywhere...

Asked who wanted Pizza and they said yes... while still trying to figure somewhere to go with sun... I kept driving my rental BMW South... and one said... wait a minute... this is towards Italy.... I said great sense of direction!

It was a great day coming back through Switzerland... the boarder guard wanted to know why we had no luggage or even winter clothes... there was snow in Switzerland!

Explained we wanted Pizza for lunch!

Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 PM

4,874 posts, read 2,973,645 times
Depends on the vehicle, my car never gets old.
However, Prius' are under-powered go-carts with poor sound systems I hate driving.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,180,560 times
Other people on the road take a lot of the pleasure out of it for me. Distracted drivers, people on cell phones, people in monster trucks that are so big you can't see anything in front of you, people not going the speed limit... there's just so much that takes away from a pure driving experience.

I still enjoy a spirited drive when I have the time, but most of the time I'm dealing with all of the above. Lately I've even been kicking around the idea of getting rid of my 911 turbo and just investing the money for 5 years or so, then buying another sports car when my daughter gets a bit older.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:54 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,078,280 times
Depends on the route and the conditions. If it's all on some modern freeway systems, then I could handle it pretty good.
But, in order to get to some hobbies I partake in the Austin and Boulder areas, roughly 60-70% of the 480 mile equidistance is on some god-awful, country-bumpkin roads where you've got to slow down to impulse power or face the wrath of the local fuzz.
What's supposed to be a nice road-trip to a particular activity feels like work again to me. Leave by a certain time in order to get to the start point before everyone takes off. Making extra time for mandatory speed traps and unforeseen weather conditions or road work that might throw a wrench into the allotted time.
I'm like one of the few guys who travels from outside of the state to get to these events. Everyone else is local and simply drives from a town over, or rides their bicycles directly to the meet-point.
Just getting tired of every road trip turning into a "mission" of some sort.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:58 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Wow, this reminds me, we should start another thread of where did you drive for something non essential and how far away was it.

Twenty five years ago a buddy and I drove from NC to Mass. to get 4 fresh lobster for dinner. A whole day out of our lives and then we were too tired to cook them when we got back. Had to sleep a bit first.

I've never been too tired to begin a drive. I love to drive, but I do get tired of driving occasionally. A bit or rest and I'm rejuvenated and ready to drive again. Trucks, minivans, sport cars, 4x4's doesn't matter, they all hold a particular and unique thrill for me.
When I was in high school and early in college my primary group of friends and I did this often. However we had a rule. If we went to Toledo for french fries, or to Windsor for doughnuts then we could only get that item from that place from then on. I tired to break the rule when we went to the upper peninsula and bought Ho Hos, but well peer pressure. . . . Ho Hos became really expensive.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times
Another factor is, when an avocation becomes a vocation. I like to play chess. But if playing chess were my official job, it would rapidly become a drudgery and a bore. The fact that something is the source of one's livelihood, tends to make that something, less appealing. The charm and verve are drained from it.

Old 02-22-2018, 02:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,820,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I used to love to drive until I had to do it in a big city. I hate it now as there isn't anything I can do about other people's bad habits. I still love to drive back roads but not the city mess.
I hear ya! I grew up in the mountains with winding single lane roads and little traffic but often with snow, steep cliffs and ever present huge trees to challenge you. Also I have spent many hours on the beautiful back roads of New England enjoying the scenery and its fun curvy roads and little traffic.

What we do in the city and often between them in crowded So. California is not driving, it’s slogging.

Road Trips sure! Day to Day commute? Just get me the hell out of here- and I have a nothing- six mile, 15-20 minute commute!

I love not driving here in the city core on the weekends - walk, bike, transit or ride share- anything but driving!

Old 02-22-2018, 02:26 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,896,257 times
For the past two years I have been commuting only one day a week, and since then have grown to despise driving in town and on urban highways. The traffic volume, the bad drivers, the hassles. No thank you!

Now, out on a nice twisty two lane in a fun sporty car or on the open road going somewhere? Count me in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive