Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 02:26 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
If you’re that worried about getting ripped off
1. DIY
2. Find a good mechanic
3. Lease a car and work all maintenance in the agreement
4. Don’t drive

When I take my cars in I assume the mechanic WANTS to have repeat customers and won’t cheat me. Good mechanics don’t need to cheat their customers out of $10. It wold cost them more to n the long run.
Correct not everyone is trying to scam you, and besides not everyone wants to lay on the ground to change their oil and there’s the ones like me who don’t want to change their oil or anything else anymore because they get older and can afford to have it done for them. And people like me lease so dealer only because I’m not going to buy it i like driving a new vehicle every 3 years. Despite what other think leasing is great for me because I’m retired and don’t put many miles on my vehicles anymore. I’ve seen people buy a new vehicle get tired of it and trade them in owing another 2 years of payments so they roll money into a new vehicle with a higher payment. People now days don’t like to keep things to long, look at the iPhone people have to always have the latest iPhones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct not everyone is trying to scam you, and besides not everyone wants to lay on the ground to change their oil and there’s the ones like me who don’t want to change their oil or anything else anymore because they get older and can afford to have it done for them. And people like me lease so dealer only because I’m not going to buy it i like driving a new vehicle every 3 years. Despite what other think leasing is great for me because I’m retired and don’t put many miles on my vehicles anymore. I’ve seen people buy a new vehicle get tired of it and trade them in owing another 2 years of payments so they roll money into a new vehicle with a higher payment. People now days don’t like to keep things to long, look at the iPhone people have to always have the latest iPhones.
True. I don’t lease anymore but I don’t buy new trucks either. My old truck runs fine for the once or twice a month times I need it. Buying a new truck doesn’t help me.i guess if I just want a new truck.....but I like my trucks. Reliable no issues and paid off.

Now my wife.....she’s like you. Drives little and were most likely leasing her next car. Her car is the family car we take to go out friends etc. I’ll take her old car for my dd. I only need to go to a vanpool stop so I drive 10 miles one way these days. I don’t need a new car for that.

Dont get me wrong. I enjoy working on my cars but I’m young enough that i can still do it. When I get to the point where it’s physically hard I’ll either get a good mechanic or I’ll start leasing. By then most likely I’ll be in a driverless electric car anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive