Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
This, she had zero say or care in what cars I chose, I didn’t even tell her ahead of time. Then again we have separate checking accounts.

Some of us treat our wives as...I dunno... partners, not merely someone else who lives in the house with their own checking account and life. So we run major purchases by each other as well as other major decisions in life. We both use the cars, so we both have a say in them. She usually defers to my experience with a lot of cars, but I listen to her wants and desires in purchasing, even for something that will primarily be mine. She'll be riding in it quite a bit, so I want her to like it. A similar situation arose when buying her a car when the MINI lease ran out. She knew mostly what she wanted but deferred to me for the final choice as I'm going to drive it occasionally and work on it. So we discussed it before the purchase (even though I was buying it for her as a Valentine's day present... lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 03:58 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,977,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Some of us treat our wives as...I dunno... partners, not merely someone else who lives in the house with their own checking account and life. So we run major purchases by each other as well as other major decisions in life. We both use the cars, so we both have a say in them. She usually defers to my experience with a lot of cars, but I listen to her wants and desires in purchasing, even for something that will primarily be mine. She'll be riding in it quite a bit, so I want her to like it. A similar situation arose when buying her a car when the MINI lease ran out. She knew mostly what she wanted but deferred to me for the final choice as I'm going to drive it occasionally and work on it. So we discussed it before the purchase (even though I was buying it for her as a Valentine's day present... lol)
Agreed.. I'd prefer to not get off topic and stay focused on the cars meeting the exact criteria. But my specific situation is we are from FL (hence the name). We currently live in Utah and just had our first child (1 year old). So basically i would like to get a convertible to drive in the mountains. If I want to see my wife and child on the weekends i would need this size vehicle. If I buy a two-seater essentially I'm saying I don't want to see you and I'm in the dog house.

Anyway that is my personal situation which explains some of my criteria.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:56 PM

604 posts, read 653,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
The cheapest 991 being sold across the entire country right now on Autotrader is $48k with high mileage.
sorry, I should've said 996 given his budget...

Old 03-08-2018, 07:28 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
Japan does have options - Infiniti G37 Convertible. Hardtop, 4 seater, 330HP V6, I believe it comes in manual but might be hard to find and may have stopped offering after a certain year. I know you can get heated seats on it but not sure about ventilated. It also can be found for around $20k. If you are open to an auto you will find a lot more. They also have the Lexus IS250C/350C which is hardtop as well. The 250 is a dog though and the 350 I believe is auto only. Out of your choices I'd go with the Camaro or Mustang, can probably get almost new or new for $35k
Comes in a manual
Has heated and ventilated seats.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:33 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Agreed.. I'd prefer to not get off topic and stay focused on the cars meeting the exact criteria. But my specific situation is we are from FL (hence the name). We currently live in Utah and just had our first child (1 year old). So basically i would like to get a convertible to drive in the mountains. If I want to see my wife and child on the weekends i would need this size vehicle. If I buy a two-seater essentially I'm saying I don't want to see you and I'm in the dog house.

Anyway that is my personal situation which explains some of my criteria.
I had a car seat in my BMW 325 convertible. That car didn't have a lot of rear leg room to begin with. Adding the car seat and the passenger seat needed to be pushed up a little more than usual. My baby momma is 5"7 and was a little cramped at times. The 4 series is bigger, but I think your best bet is the E-550. I had an E-class sedan and even with the car seat there was still lot's of room for the front passenger. I am pretty sure the E class is the biggest of what you are looking at. You should also check out the BMW 650 Cic too. That's a large car by convertible standards and has a V8 and all sorts of power.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Need some advice on which way to go. I originally wanted a Miata ND ST manual Club with Brembo/BBS but my wife has vetod the option.

New criteria

- 4 seat convertible (room for an infant car seat)
- 2012 or Newer
- Budget $20-$35k
- blend of luxury and performance

If a baby is involved i can see why your wife isnt thinking a convertible is a great idea, why not buy a reasonably priced used Miata for your need for top down driving and let your wife buy a reasonable family sedan to suit her and the babies needs.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:39 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions! Going to a dealership this evening to test drive:

2014 BMW 425xi hardtop convertible (turbo 4)
2014 BMW 435i hardtop (turbo I6)
2015 Merc E350 softfop vert (N/A V6)

The 425 is a great deal but likely will be underwhelming on power. The 435 is pricey as is the E350. I'm very interested to compare the softtop vs. hardtop driving experience between the two with the top up. I really would prefer the E550 but finding a vert near me is rare.

I'll try to find a 2SS camaro and Mustang GT to drive the weekend.
I don't want to put my thumb on the scale prior to your test drive but I think you'll find (if it's anything like my '09 335i Hardtop Cabriolet) you'd be hard pressed to know it's a drop-top with the roof closed. I've owned both hard and soft top convertibles and they are just different critters. That said, my greatest fear is having that "Transformer" top seize up. Thus far no issues, but I've been throwing a dollar in a jar every month for nine years just in case it decides at some point not to co-operate.

Just kidding about only a buck in the jar... I fully expect that kind of repair to run into the thousands. Although to be fair, an automatic ragtop might not be too much less expensive to fix either.

Good luck !!!

Old 03-09-2018, 01:01 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Didn’t read through the whole thread. Here’s another option to consider.
2018 Buick Cascada: Luxury Convertible | Buick

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3niOYFZoC3U

Old 03-09-2018, 07:00 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If a baby is involved i can see why your wife isnt thinking a convertible is a great idea, why not buy a reasonably priced used Miata for your need for top down driving and let your wife buy a reasonable family sedan to suit her and the babies needs.
because, as he said, he then can't take her and the kid with him on weekend road trips, which means he's in the doghouse for not wanting to spend time with them. He wants a convertible that ALSO can take the family with.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:21 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Is there only one kid and how old?
If it’s an infant and sitting in the rear facing car seat, that seat will take up more room than an adult. You’ll need a giant vehicle to pull that off. However if there’s just one kid, you can get away with a roadster as you and Jr. can pal around legally in the same row together. If there’s two kids, you’re stuck with a back seat and both have to be back there while you chauffeur them around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive