Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:19 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times

Advertisements

I did driver's ed and got my license in Michigan. 2 years later, I finished high school and moved to California for college and work where I stayed for a decade and a half. And last year, I moved to Texas. I do notice some subtleties in the differences in driving styles, particularly between California and Texas (don't remember too much about Michigan since it's been years since I've been back.)

Keep in mind my driving experience in California mostly pertains to the Bay Area, Greater LA Area, and the Central Valley. In Texas, I've only driven in DFW and West Texas. And Michigan, I've only driven in Metro Detroit.

Noticeable differences (mainly between California and Texas):

- On rural Texas freeways, average speeds are maybe slightly higher but there's far less variation in speeds. I-20, for example, has a 75 speed limit but I rarely encounter cars (or even trucks) going less than 70 or more than, say, around 85. On I-5 in California, you always run into trucks and sometimes cars going 60 or under in a 70 zone while you get quite a few people going 85+ in the left lane zooming past everyone.

- Fewer Texas drivers will ride your bumper if they think you're going slow. A lot might first get dangerously close to you (maybe because they want to wait to the last minute before applying the brakes so not to brake needlessly) but then slow down to a close but more reasonable distance to "tailgate" you. A somewhat higher % of CA drivers will ride along your bumper the whole time and maybe even highbeam you.

- Quite a few Texas drivers won't pull up into the intersection when making a left turn when oncoming traffic is busy. And if they don't get a chance to turn left before the light turns red, they just assume they're SOL and wait for another cycle, rinse and repeat. This is especially true in West Texas but less so in DFW. Californians are a little better than Texans at this, maybe 80% or so will pull up into the intersection to make a left. In LA, people will likely honk at you incessantly if you don't pull into the intersection to make a left. In Metro Detroit, nearly everyone did this and I still remember the driving instructor telling us that we're expected to pull into the intersection when the light turns green but we can't turn left yet due to oncoming traffic.

- A lot of Californian drivers, especially those driving trucks or large SUVs, will turn left when you have the right of way when going straight or turning right. This happens a lot when you were a fraction of a second late in getting moving or something. Similar thing happens at stop signs. I rarely see this happening in Texas or Michigan.

- Slower traffic keeps right: Michigan seems to stick with the rule best, from my experience. California is next. Texas is last.

- Zipper merging: On I-20 in Texas, you'll often see cars lining up in one lane miles before the other lane is being closed for construction, sometimes even before the signs start signaling the lane closure. This often causes unnecessary congestion and slowdowns. However, I'll usually drive up in the lane to be closed and save a ton of time, as I'll often find an opening closer or someone will eventually let me in anyways. This sometimes happens in California as well but not as this extreme.

For those of you who have lived in multiple states and especially regions of the US, do you notice differences in driving styles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 11:07 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Yes, I noticed a difference, I think it is generally accepted that there is a difference.

The turn you described for California drivers is called a "California turn", often happens when a light turns green and they will turn left quickly.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:45 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I did driver's ed and got my license in Michigan. 2 years later, I finished high school and moved to California for college and work where I stayed for a decade and a half. And last year, I moved to Texas. I do notice some subtleties in the differences in driving styles, particularly between California and Texas (don't remember too much about Michigan since it's been years since I've been back.)

Keep in mind my driving experience in California mostly pertains to the Bay Area, Greater LA Area, and the Central Valley. In Texas, I've only driven in DFW and West Texas. And Michigan, I've only driven in Metro Detroit.

Noticeable differences (mainly between California and Texas):

- On rural Texas freeways, average speeds are maybe slightly higher but there's far less variation in speeds. I-20, for example, has a 75 speed limit but I rarely encounter cars (or even trucks) going less than 70 or more than, say, around 85. On I-5 in California, you always run into trucks and sometimes cars going 60 or under in a 70 zone while you get quite a few people going 85+ in the left lane zooming past everyone.

- Fewer Texas drivers will ride your bumper if they think you're going slow. A lot might first get dangerously close to you (maybe because they want to wait to the last minute before applying the brakes so not to brake needlessly) but then slow down to a close but more reasonable distance to "tailgate" you. A somewhat higher % of CA drivers will ride along your bumper the whole time and maybe even highbeam you.

- Quite a few Texas drivers won't pull up into the intersection when making a left turn when oncoming traffic is busy. And if they don't get a chance to turn left before the light turns red, they just assume they're SOL and wait for another cycle, rinse and repeat. This is especially true in West Texas but less so in DFW. Californians are a little better than Texans at this, maybe 80% or so will pull up into the intersection to make a left. In LA, people will likely honk at you incessantly if you don't pull into the intersection to make a left. In Metro Detroit, nearly everyone did this and I still remember the driving instructor telling us that we're expected to pull into the intersection when the light turns green but we can't turn left yet due to oncoming traffic.

- A lot of Californian drivers, especially those driving trucks or large SUVs, will turn left when you have the right of way when going straight or turning right. This happens a lot when you were a fraction of a second late in getting moving or something. Similar thing happens at stop signs. I rarely see this happening in Texas or Michigan.

- Slower traffic keeps right: Michigan seems to stick with the rule best, from my experience. California is next. Texas is last.

- Zipper merging: On I-20 in Texas, you'll often see cars lining up in one lane miles before the other lane is being closed for construction, sometimes even before the signs start signaling the lane closure. This often causes unnecessary congestion and slowdowns. However, I'll usually drive up in the lane to be closed and save a ton of time, as I'll often find an opening closer or someone will eventually let me in anyways. This sometimes happens in California as well but not as this extreme.

For those of you who have lived in multiple states and especially regions of the US, do you notice differences in driving styles?
The speed limit for trucks in California is 55. So it they are traveling 60, they are already 5 over the speed limit.

Old 04-01-2018, 01:22 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,942,727 times
Can I drive 55 mph in rural Texas with 85 mph speed limit?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:55 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post
Can I drive 55 mph in rural Texas with 85 mph speed limit?
You would get a ticket for impeding traffic

Most metro areas have a lot of stressed impatient drivers. I noticed as soon as you get out of metro areas some drivers are more mellow. You still get the occasional gotta get there as fast as I can jerkoff on the road

Old 04-01-2018, 08:57 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yes, I noticed a difference, I think it is generally accepted that there is a difference.

The turn you described for California drivers is called a "California turn", often happens when a light turns green and they will turn left quickly.
I call it pulling a Boston where they are notorious for that move.

Driving is becoming a lot more homogeneous due to people relocating. Mainly politer drivers moving to notorious not polite driving areas like Boston. The other side is polite driving areas, such as in the south, are becoming less so.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:14 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
I have found driving around the Bay area most stressful. People are rude an impatient. You are sure to hear their shrieking horn at the slightest sign of hesitation, which happens to all visitors. Jumping 5 lanes in short order to exit on the left is another one. I hate left exits. That 80-580 mangle in Oakland is a mess. You practically have to cross cut 5 lanes going 80mph to cross over.

Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
just as the driving rules adjust and aid, so to do people adjust to the standard "norm" in their area of traffic.

NYC and LA are the model stone of how extreme folks can be in their "regarding" the laws. They rarely do.

I've been in metropolis areas and beyond the typical slow traffic trudging along the noise of the honkers and bonkers keep chiming on.

Stay safe folks and alert.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:00 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,909,338 times
Quote:
Can I drive 55 mph in rural Texas with 85 mph speed limit

Only select roads in Texas are 85, others are 75 but most are 70mph. The smaller hiways may be even 60 or 55, depends on the where, condition of the road, and how much traffic the road generally carries. The Interstate will be 85 in West Texas mostly because traffic runs 85-100 anyway and has for decades. There's nothing out there except hundreds of miles of nothing. We normally see a minimum speed limit sign on the interstates but otherwise, you can run 20mph but it would be pretty stupid to do. You will occasionally run across a farmer or rancher moving equipment on a State hiway that might be running 20 but they don't go fast enough to reach the minimum on the Interstates. On State hiways, it's fairly common to see folks driving 60 in a 75 or 70mph zone. Big trucks, that's a completely different ballgame. Around the oil fields and along the border, you better learn to yield the right of way or expect to die. Big trucks don't seem to give a flip about driving in your lane coming straight at you. Yeah, you get run off of the road or you can be smudge on the grille, your choice. It's called defensive driving here. On the interstates during the day, they usually conform to the speed limits. At night, the floorboard is the speed limit.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:28 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
In New England, I find that people in rural areas are usually more courteous, and those in urban areas more impatient and aggressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive