Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times

Advertisements

Most people don't want tiny death trap cars. I commend the head of the EPA for scrapping those onerous and unrealistic Obama era CAFE standards. Let the market decide what people want to buy instead of this stupid social engineering. There's a reason why the three best selling vehicles in America are pickup trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:23 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Most people don't want tiny death trap cars. I commend the head of the EPA for scrapping those onerous and unrealistic Obama era CAFE standards. Let the market decide what people want to buy instead of this stupid social engineering. There's a reason why the three best selling vehicles in America are pickup trucks.

yeah, 'cause people are definitely long range thinkers and not short sighted at all.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:58 PM

31,906 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Meanwhile back at the ranch....

Seems the Impala may also be facing the chop as well.

Ford kills the Taurus and Fiesta; Chevy kills Sonic, Impala

Chevrolet Impala Could Exit Production | GM Authority

https://carbuzz.com/news/chevy-alleg...e-impala-again

Old 04-05-2018, 06:05 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
I don’t see the Sonic completely ending production world wide. It could still be produced and sold in other countries. With the Malibu almost the same size as the Impala for a lower price, why would Chevy buyer get an Impala. There wasn’t much of a difference in city and highway fuel economy to warrant buying a Sonic over a Cruze. Only advantage Sonic had over the Cruze is hatchback versatility but once you go up to the hatchback then you’re near Cruze price.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:59 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I see 2 main reasons, younger people who are used to buying small affordable cars are using ride-sharing services and majority of people these days need a big hauler to pickup hardware or goods. Small cars aren't exactly cheap either. Why buy a small car for $17k, when you can get a small SUV for $23k.

Majority of people that ride Uber these days are under 40 years old. I've yet to see anyone with grey hair ride Uber.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I see 2 main reasons, younger people who are used to buying small affordable cars are using ride-sharing services and majority of people these days need a big hauler to pickup hardware or goods. Small cars aren't exactly cheap either. Why buy a small car for $17k, when you can get a small SUV for $23k.

Majority of people that ride Uber these days are under 40 years old. I've yet to see anyone with grey hair ride Uber.

Come on up to NYC, in particular Manhattan where you'll find plenty of persons with "grey hair" using ride share schemes.

Now what they "hail" very much depends upon socio-economic demographics. On the UES/UWS and other wealthy parts of city people likely will go with Uber "luxury" such as Yukon, Escalade and other large SUVs. Those of more moderate means OTOH.....

Old 04-05-2018, 09:46 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Why buy a small car for $17k, when you can get a small SUV for $23k.
Well if you don’t have the $6,000, then you buy a compact. To someone just starting out in life, 6 grand can make a big difference.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Interestingly two of the top selling cars for 2017 are compacts; the Toyota Civic and Corolla. So someone out there is buying small cars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...017/107395786/

Old 04-06-2018, 01:01 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Interestingly two of the top selling cars for 2017 are compacts; the Toyota Civic and Corolla. So someone out there is buying small cars.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...017/107395786/
I didn't know that Toyota was now producing the Civic! I'm surprised Honda would give one of their best sellers.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:08 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
I’ll feel really upset if GM cancels the Impala, but i do understand the business side of it. All in all, it is GM and Chevys fault for not promoting and advertising the Impala like they should have as it’s a wonderful car that is perfect in many ways. No wonder nobody are buying them because without great marketing it is hard to get the consumers attention.

After test driving a 17 Malibu LT model and test driving the Impala, hands down the Impala is a better car and that why I bought it over the Malibu.

First of all the Malibu was a great car to drive, it was very quiet, had nice materials and felt more modern than the Impala, but that’s where the differences end.

The Impalas back seat had much more interior room, especially leg room vs the Malibu. The interior materials are also much nicer in the Impala, more soft padding on the door panels and sturdier feeling trim.

The car feels much more substantial and heavy, the doors are heavier and feels like a luxury car upon closing shut. You get that nice “thunk” that you don’t get on the Malibu. The Impala ride is more isolated and quieter, and the body feels tighter than the BU.

So many small details are also better on the Impala that most people probably will never think of, such as the center arm rest in the Impala has metal hinges that feels solid, vs the plastic hinges on the Malibu and most other vehicles. The Impala uses thicker weatherstripping and it’s trunk lid uses huge thick steel hinges with actual springs for tension vs the thin hinges and thin bar type hinges that are in the Malibu and every other midsize sedan. Plus the Impala has one of if not the most trunk space in the entire industry.

Things just feel better put together in the Impala as well and it has a higher build quality, offers a powerful and reliable V6 engine, so it doesn’t makes sense why anyone would purchase a new Malibu when you can easily buy a 1-2 year old Impala (which is a better all around sedan) for less than what it will cost you to buy a new Malibu?

I don’t get some people, and sadly many of them have over looked the Impala for years and probably settled for other lesser midsize sedans when they could have gotten an awesome one that not only looks “sane” and attractive but also powerful and stately for not much money.

The 14-18 Impala has to be one of GMs/Chevy’s best efforts the company has put out in years.

At the same time, GM hasn’t really updated the 10th gen Impala since and it came out in 14 to make it more modern like adding LED lights all around, making a back up camera standard, and possibly adding a new 8 speed or 9 speed tranny to the already great GM’s 3.6 V6.

This is probably why the Impala sales have slowed. Not to mention too much newer fresher models from other brands for potential buyers to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive