Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 09:23 PM

9,354 posts, read 4,201,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The XLT isn't the base level for the F 150.
Wow. Your must be extremely wealthy. An XLT F150, reasonably equipped, is a $50K+ proposition, even with discounts. I make multiples of the median U.S. household income and I think $50K is a preposterous amount to pay for a farm vehicle with Conestoga wagon spec suspension. Let me guess - you haven't purchased a new vehicle in several decades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:37 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,187,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
Easy. I owned a home with my ex and, in addition to our main jobs, we did interior design on the side. And did lots of DIY work on our own house as a showcase. IOW, we were doing a lot more remodeling work than the average young homeowner. I rarely needed a truck. The few times I ever needed a truck, I just rented one locally. Typically <$25 for an hour or two of use which is usually all that was needed for local stuff.

Is it slightly more convenient to have a truck in those *few specific instances?* Sure. But if I'm going to pick something up that needed a truck, it was nothing to just rent a truck while we were out, haul the thing where it needed to go and then take the rental back to pick up our own car and head home. The extremely minor convenience of owning a truck for ourselves would not have been worth the significant extra cost of having the truck the other 363 days of the year.

Also, I was able to to fit almost anything we needed to haul into my grand am or my ex's hatchback.
Somehow people perceive that renting a vehicle is an "extra" cost, not thinking of course of the "carrying cost" of a vehicle they are only using at fullest capacity a few times a year. But it makes them feel like they are self-sufficient or prepared for anything even if that "anything" is 4 times a year.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,686,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Yep. And who wants to drive a 16 year old POS on a daily basis?
Not me. My 11 year old 3/4 ton GMC truck sits out at the barn in case we need it to pull the horse trailer. It’s been a great old workhorse, complete with a hydraulic lift tailgate for unloading hay bales, feed bags etc, but driving it every day if I don’t have to? No thanks.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:30 AM

44,871 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:
Wow. Your must be extremely wealthy. An XLT F150, reasonably equipped, is a $50K+ proposition, even with discounts. I make multiples of the median U.S. household income and I think $50K is a preposterous amount to pay for a farm vehicle with Conestoga wagon spec suspension. Let me guess - you haven't purchased a new vehicle in several decades?
You apparently didn't see the post I responded to that called the XLT "poverty spec XLT level trim".

As far as my last new vehicle, F150 SuperCrew in 2014. Way less than $50K.

Some of it depends on what you "need" in a vehicle. Meaning I'm not so decrepit that I need all the creature comforts that many seem to.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:05 AM

4,523 posts, read 4,780,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I doubt they even make a sticker of Calvin peeing on a Tundra logo. Why bother?
You'd be surprised

[IMG]http://stickerpr.com/image/cache/catalog/calvin-****-pee-on-_il_340x270.556213080_ighu_main-228x228.jpg[/IMG]

argh, caught be the censors. the astrix is a four letter word for urinate that starts with a P followed by an I and two S.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,100,596 times
Quote:
Not quite, mine (2017) was stickered at $46,800 but I only paid $36,000, and that's with Sync 3, 8" touchscreen, 5.0 Coyote V8, 36 gallon fuel tank, trailer tow package including trailer brake controller and backup assist, chrome package, even power pedal adjustment. The 2018 XLTs are available at all of our local dealers sale prices at $33-36,000. The base level XL runs $27,000 on sale, not that much less considering the difference in equipment.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:40 AM

5,338 posts, read 14,071,350 times
Quote:
a nicely equipped XLT F150 is more like $40k (crew cab 4x4). window sticker might be about $50k, but you can knock $10k off of that.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:57 AM

4,147 posts, read 6,836,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You didn’t do any heavy renovating if you only used a truck four times, or you hired someone to come do everything for you. I have hauled everything on mine from drywall to 12’ long boxes of vinyl siding using my bed extender.

Not everyone lives somewhere where you can have everything delivered, or where it’s convenient to rent a truck. The nearest place to rent a pickup is 50 miles away from me, too big of a hassle. I’d rather have my own.
We didn't have much drywall at all to replace. But replacing flooring in multiple rooms, tiling, appliances (delivery included in cost) painting, replacing deck boards, re-moving and re-installing trim & moulding throughout the entire house, replacing all the light fixtures, new counters (delivered and installed by a contractor - there is no point in taking the risk of transporting your own quartz counter), etc.

But the point of my posts is NOT to say that no one ever needs a truck. You're arguing against my post with the exception, not the rule (someone doing heavy DIY renovation on a regular basis who lives 50 miles from any rental place? Has to be <1% of truck owners). So I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for you to have a truck. But rather, the people who seem to insist owning a house in general requires owning a truck when in reality, the majority of these people most likely use their truck to actually haul things *that require a truck* a couple times a year.

I don't care if people own trucks really, but rather the notion that they justify it by the need to haul things when in reality they really just like to drive a truck.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:09 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,550,074 times
I have not read all the posts on this long thread. I have a GMC 2500 DuraMax Diesel for towing the camper. We also have a handicap ramp van. I have not owned an automobile since about 1986, but last August I bought a Subaru Forester for the gas mileage, comfort and the fact that I live in Northern Maine. The Forester is the most popular automobile model in Maine. That is not necessarily the most sold in some years, but of all car models registered in Maine, the Forester has more vehicles still registered by far. I spoke with a driver this week who has 340,000 miles on his and he expects to get over 400M from it.

OK, now I'll go back and read some of this extensive thread.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:37 AM

1,347 posts, read 934,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I don't care if people own trucks really, but rather the notion that they justify it by the need to haul things when in reality they really just like to drive a truck.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive