Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 10:22 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times

Advertisements

the death of sedans might be an easier reason, older people dont want to get low to get into the car, similar sized suv/wagons have higher seating. young people/millennials are killing sedan market with lack of car culture and uber rides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 10:40 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I'm the exact same way, and has served me well in my life!

I remember not too long ago when SUV's were out of flavor with the public and everyone wanted a fuel efficient vehicle instead. Trading them in masses over $100+ visits every 10 days to the fuel pumps.

Personally, I think these automakers are making a huge and costly mistake. Sure, dial the sedans down and dial up the SUV's, as they have to follow market demand. But don't mothball the whole thing, because it'll cost a boat load to revamp / retool to bring them back when the market demand shifts yet again. But admittedly, I am not an automobile manufacturing expert by any means, so I can't really speak to the profit margins on any segment. Although will say, that in that other thread posted about GM's costs, I was surprised to read that any factory that isn't running at 80% or higher capacity is losing money. To me, that statistic seems to reveal a root cause for the problems at hand for the car makers, and an area where focus should be the most. 80% to break even seems awfully high to me, but again, I'm no expert.

I just don't see the appeal of the little SUV's, minus one or two exceptions (which are German). I also don't see the appeal, in a multi-car home, of having two of the exact same type/thing if you don't have to have it that way. But, that's just me, and I'm a strange bird!

I just hope the European automakers aren't tariffed to death for the US at this point, as I personally enjoy a fast and sleek sedan.
Here's the thing - they don't have to dial up. The cost is in platform development. Now that platforms are shared is, overall it's pretty cheap to create a new body shell to utilize it. Ford is down to 5 global platforms and a new Focus could be developed pretty quickly as it would use the same platform as the Escape, Transit Connect, Galaxy, et al.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:16 PM

59 posts, read 63,107 times
Default Going from Truck to a Sedan

I'm actually going the opposite way; I've had a F-150 Supercab for the last 15 years and I'm about to buy a new sedan.
A few reasons:
1)Tired of going places where there is that one parking place and it's such a tight squeeze I cannot even park in it. Having to drive around just so I can find that spot my huge truck just so happens to fit in gets old. Sometimes backing out of tight spaces sucks.

2)Maneuvering-I live just outside of Atlanta. Traffic is a disaster here. The truck is safe but maneuvering can be a bit aggravating. A truck wins points because people don't want to be hit by it and will get out of the way but at the same time it's a hindrance.

3)If I need a truck for something I'll either go rent one or we can borrow my father in laws. Even as a musician I don't find myself needing that extra space. For instance, my wife has a newer Malibu and all of my sound equipment, speakers, stands, instruments, etc all fit inside the Malibu fine. As part of one of my side jobs I have to haul a lot of boxes as well, once again they all fit inside a car. I think a lot of people believe they need more space than they really need. It's quite amazing all the stuff you can fit in a sedan if you pack it right. We now live in a condo, I'm not going to be hauling off a tree I cut down any time soon, lol.

4)I keep hearing how Gas is down and that's why SUV and Truck sales are up. However, to me I don't feel that it's down. I still look at it and think, wow that's 70 dollars I spent. It's just an extra expense I don't need and while I'm not some serious environmentalist I do like the idea of only using what I require in this world of decreasing resources.
So yeah, that's my two cents. I can honestly say the only thing I'm going to miss is the view of being higher up off the road.

Last edited by JHughesa; 12-01-2018 at 05:26 PM..

Old 12-02-2018, 07:12 AM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Most cars are boring, minus the Vette and Stang. Most people want big tanks like trucks and SUV's.

Old 12-02-2018, 07:43 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Most cars are boring, minus the Vette and Stang. Most people want big tanks like trucks and SUV's.
That’s only because everyone else is driving the same thing. I drive a car as my daily. I can’t tell you how many of these dummies driving big trucks Try to rule the road. They all want to bully others into letting them over or moving out of the way. It’s usually some lifted truck with a crapload of light bars, overly bright headlights big mud tires (that wear so well on the street) on a on road daily driver, some sticker proclaiming some clothing line or some redneck lineage.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:10 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That’s only because everyone else is driving the same thing. I drive a car as my daily. I can’t tell you how many of these dummies driving big trucks Try to rule the road. They all want to bully others into letting them over or moving out of the way. It’s usually some lifted truck with a crapload of light bars, overly bright headlights big mud tires (that wear so well on the street) on a on road daily driver, some sticker proclaiming some clothing line or some redneck lineage.
Amen !

They are all hipster dufusses.

Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
And 9 out of 10 they are younger guys driving those trucks, they think they are the Dukes of hazard.

Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,038,399 times
Quote:
And it's been said before, but a lot of the drivers of these bigger vehicles think they don't have to signal turns or lane changes!

Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
I have a truck with 4 wheel drive because of snow, my need to haul materials and supplies in and out of my property, and oh, my lovely road to my house. I could get the road fixed but the neighbors a mile off will destroy it again with their ATV's. Long story there. Try driving a sedan up this (actually don't, someone tried this fall and was towed away). That said, I'm sick of the gas guzzling nature of trucks and really want to see one that gets better fuel economy. I'm also irritated by the fact that new trucks are being aimed at the luxury market. I neither want an expensive luxury truck nor would you want to drive one regularly on a road like mine. I just want a cheap no-frills work truck with good ground clearance, and so do most of my neighbors in the area. Sedans are useless on the back roads.
Attached Thumbnails
We are near the death of the Sedan in America. Why are people no longer buying cars? [MERGED]-myroad.jpg  

Old 12-02-2018, 03:41 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
I DD my modded C6 Vette everyday. I love these red necks in trucks trying to race me day in and out. I let them get ahead and then give a WOT burst and pass them like they are standing still. I could never drive a slow Honda or boring car. I pop up to 120 like nothing and these red necks never learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive