Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 03:00 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,005,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Aside those who know absolutely nothing about cars, you’re not fooling anyone. Here are some of the most common ones:

- M badges on a non M series BMW
- AMG badges on a non AMG MB
- Turbo badges on cars that do not have turbo
- V badge on non V series Cadillacs (saw one today)
- V6 badge on 4cyl vehicles

To you people....please stop. You’re not fooling anyone. You’re only embarrassing yourselves when someone pulls up behind or next to you and laughs.
I don’t take my car or myself that seriously. If you don’t like what you see don’t look for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A once saw a 426 Hemi badge on a rusted out old VW Beetle.

Made me laugh!
Cause that's just funny!

Now I'm wondering about cars, usually black, late model sedans, that have NO badge. I think they're Chevys, but I'm not sure.

What's with that?

Old 04-17-2018, 06:21 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,813,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
I enjoy seeing the funny ones. Like an 89 Camry with a BMW badge. I was going to rebadge my Pontiac G8 as a Holden, but it was totaled before I got the chance.
I once couldn't open my '98 Camry cause the key didn't work... until I realized it was someone's BMW!
And I know a bit about cars, but wow, they were twins.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:26 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Whats really funny are the guys who do this kind of thing, thinking it will impress women.

Little do they know, majority of girls/ women out there pay no attention to this, the only thing they really recognize is color of the car. It could be a super charged Corvette and a Pinto...its just 'cars' to the females, they dont care about the differences.
Years ago my mom told me my dad’s home health hospice nurse had the same car as I had. At the time I had a silver 2003 Chevy Malibu. The nurse had a silver 2007 Acura TL.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
Another angle: Though I don't think younger people care as much today, there was a time (not that long ago) when there was a strong aversion to most American car brands (particularly upscale). As the cars got better, I often wondered why the designers didn't just remove all emblems to help eliminate the negative image resistance.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:53 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
I debadge all my vehicles, but would never ADD any.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:28 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
I only know of one such person. He's a surgeon in our old metro, who built a big, brick, surgeon-sized mansion, on a fashionable country lane. He told his architects that the windows needed to be bigger, and forced them to draw those windows bigger - to the point where THE ARCHED WINDOWS LOOKED LIKE THEY WERE TAKING BITES OUT OF THE CORNICE (also oversized, of course...as per Dr. Know-it-all's instructions).

Then, the columns arrived, on a big truck. Dr. Know-it-all noticed that the columns were curved (it's called 'Entasis', and has been a thing since Ancient Greece https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entasis). The architects tried to explain that this was how they were supposed to be. But what does architectural tradition, thousands of years old, mean, to someone as heroic and brilliant as him? He's a glorious surgeon. Surgeons make more money than architects. Architects are just little losers (in Dr. Know-it-all's mind, anyway), and are automatically wrong, since they make less money than do surgeons. So, Dr. Know-it-all devised a brilliant scheme, to cut out slices of column, then squeeze the columns together with cables, to "correct" them, and make them straight. Then, the great man actually went out to the job site, to personally direct the squeezing of the columns.

Well, his new wife wanted a new Mercedes S-class sedan. At the time, the S sedans started with one which had a practical little 6-cylinder engine that sipped gas, and ran forever with few problems. That version had a number like 320 or something. At the other end of the lineup for that body style, there was the 12-Cylinder (which was a total bugger to keep running, on top of its being a gas hog). The monster-engined-one was the S600.

So, Dr. Know-it-all arranged WITH THE DEALER, to have his wife's long-wheelbase S320, prior to delivery, REBADGED, up to an 'S600'. "She'll never know the difference."

EVerybody in town found out about it, of course, which is why I knew about it (and those extra bits about the columns and the windows got passed-along with the car gossip, as lagniappe).

Old 04-18-2018, 01:46 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,745,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Aside those who know absolutely nothing about cars, you’re not fooling anyone. Here are some of the most common ones:

- M badges on a non M series BMW
- AMG badges on a non AMG MB
- Turbo badges on cars that do not have turbo
- V badge on non V series Cadillacs (saw one today)
- V6 badge on 4cyl vehicles

To you people....please stop. You’re not fooling anyone. You’re only embarrassing yourselves when someone pulls up behind or next to you and laughs.
Increased status pure and simple. I am leery of people who do this.

Old 04-18-2018, 04:27 AM

628 posts, read 837,841 times
I saw a ford focus with a Bugatti badge

Old 04-18-2018, 05:04 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,803,501 times
I do want to throw a hybrid badge on my X5M gas hog just to throw people off lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive