Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 12:43 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Dude seriously? What is your deal with me? Just put me on ignore. My post referencing #6 was that auto parts places generally don't reset CELs, which another poster collaborated, then the discussion turned toward inspections by another poster, which is what my response about that was for. Let it go.
LOL. I have NO "deal" with you...who are you? Not sure what you're referencing. Anyway, so its Ok for you to go on and on, but I'm not allowed? Got it. Maybe YOU should put ME on ignore?

LM117's post was referencing the original topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:03 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Just change it yourself. Changing the oil is one of the most simple things to do on most vehicles. And it saves you some money.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
This is why I say "Stay away from Chain Garages". OP, you need to learn to DIY at least oil changes. If your skills are weak, or you have no place to work, find a good independent shop that will at least try to take care of you.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:24 PM

4,762 posts, read 792,686 times
This definitely sounds like a company policy, not a law - a way for the garage/store owner to avoid responsibility.

I have had my oil changed and have passed my emissions test with the "check engine" light on.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 PM

307 posts, read 223,989 times
Quote:
Typically it's their policies to not clear the CEL.
Law or no law, if you have the check engine light diagnosed anywhere, it used to automatically reset the CE light (temporarily).

Old 04-18-2018, 06:48 PM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Should have just pulled the battery cable, waited a few minutes, reconnected, then tossed the keys back to him.

Bonus: you can say there was no CEL when you dropped it off, what did he do?!?!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:49 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Dude seriously? What is your deal with me? Just put me on ignore. My post referencing #6 was that auto parts places generally don't reset CELs, which another poster collaborated, then the discussion turned toward inspections by another poster, which is what my response about that was for. Let it go.
LOL..< EngineLight came on like almost 2 years ago.. Car is running fine & dandy. The light came on after travelling a rather pock marked real road.. back then... and after having zero mechanical issues.. I put it to likely a dislodged "Fuse" somewhere in the system ( it's not like it's the first time it's been an issue!!

I drive 2004 Mazda.. 2004 and only has 51,000 miles on it. My mechanic has preached to me over the years.. DRIVE IT MORE!! ROFLMAO.. I'm retired..LOL Meanwhile.. All I want is.. that fridge light turn off!!

I still believe that light on is due to fuses getting knocked off line.. BUT as I do know IF indeed there was an Engine/Performance issue I would have known all these months!! NADDA SO come next year I have to have "Emission Test" and want to get that "FRIGGEN LIGHT off!!

I read the link that describe CEL indicator and what it indicates.. and I can attest..NOPE.. Zero evidence of any of those issues!! Reset? Replace Fuse or reposition it// WHATEVER it takes!!

BTW~~~ I also confiem.. that outlets/businesses will GOUGE YOU IF you appear to be ignorant on any level of CAR operations!! That's why I strongly suggest finding a TRUSTWORTHY Mechanic!!

Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 PM

15,403 posts, read 7,464,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
Law or no law, if you have the check engine light diagnosed anywhere, it used to automatically reset the CE light (temporarily).
Current code readers don't automatically reset the code. One of the best purchases I've made is an OBDII dongle with bluetooth so I can connect my phone and see what's going on. I can read codes without resetting them, or reset them. Plus, I can get a bunch of sensor values.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:01 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Cite? The law, I mean?
BS.
Most auto parts stores will check the codes for you. I expect they may not do a reset after just checking. They probably will if you buy the parts from them, eh?
The most common cause of a CEL is a loose gas cap.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:51 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
This is correct - otherwise everyone would just stop by the auto parts store on their way to get inspected.
If emissions testing is required most state laws will required no check engine light AND no more than one or two monitors incomplete. Stopping by to get the light turned off will likely not work.

Don in Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive