Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times

Advertisements

I know common exclusions on the basic warranty are wear items such as tires, brakes, exterior and interior trim. What else doesn't a CPO warranty cover, or is it the same?

I'm debating on whether to get a new or CPO car. Lexus and Jaguar seem to have the best CPO warranties besides Hyundai/Genesis/Kia - 6 yr/unlimited for Lexus (2 year free maintenance), 7 yr/100k for Jag, 10 yr/100k powertrain for the koreans

New jaguars come with 5 years maintenance free along with a 5 year warranty

I'm debating between a CPO Lexus IS350, New or CPO Jaguar XE 35t, or new Alfa Romeo Giulia. The giulia must be new and I am also concerned because of high maintenance costs. But I am in love with how it looks and drives. I'd love to find a leftover 2018 at the end of the year for 10k off

I also like the Kia stinger but it seems big and I like cars that handle well, have yet to drive it
Genesis G70 is coming out soon too and looks similar to the Giulia but I'm sure dealers will mark it up

any opinions? I also was considering a lease of a Giulia due to long term ownership concerns, if I can get one for under $450 a month with 0 down. Budget for buying would be around $40k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 AM

3,319 posts, read 2,339,713 times
Lexus:

Quote:
EXCLUDED COMPONENTS
The following component groups are excluded from coverage under the L/Certified Limited Warranty: standard upkeep items, wear and tear items, some parts of body and interior, accessories, and some other components. Please see the L/Certified Limited Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide or your Lexus dealer for details.
Jaguar doesn't publish an actual list of what's covered and not covered, but here's a post from a Jaguar dealership employee on another forum that will give you an idea:

Quote:
In general, anything that can be considered a wear and tear item will not be covered (but don't get caught up in semantics over wear and tear -- that's literally just a guideline.) Anything that is rubber is not covered. This includes bushings, hoses, door seals, etc. Headlamps, tail lamps, anything with a bulb is not covered. No coverage for interior trim pieces or squeaks and rattles. Keys have no warranty, neither do batteries in the keys or the vehicle.

Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,998 times
Thanks! I really want the Giulia but I am hesistant because all of the other car's warranty and maintenance programs are far better. Apparently the Giulia needs spark plugs every 30k, and other crap that on most cars shouldn't be until 100k...

Old 04-19-2018, 03:15 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
If you really must have a "new" car, CPO or private-purchase from a leaser is the only way to go. You just have to acccept that it's going to have a couple of years' wear on it, and both have it inspected by a good third party shop and prepare to spend a little on brakes, tires, and other normal-wear things ahead of what you would for a brand new vehicle. That's why they're 20% or more cheaper, especially when loaded with options that cost a bundle at new and add little to resale value.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:06 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times
I'd rather save my money and buy a non-CPO Lexus for a lower price. You definitely want some kind of a warranty for just about any 3+ year old European luxury car. Maintenance is one thing, but the repair costs start to come into play. As for the Lexus, it's easy enough for DIY maintenance...especially if you have Toyota Techstream.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:50 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I'd rather save my money and buy a non-CPO Lexus for a lower price. You definitely want some kind of a warranty for just about any 3+ year old European luxury car. Maintenance is one thing, but the repair costs start to come into play. As for the Lexus, it's easy enough for DIY maintenance...especially if you have Toyota Techstream.
If you figure the purchase savings against likely repair costs in what would be the warranty period, it's often a win. Some cars don't depreciate much and new/warranty is superior, but the ones that drop $10-20k in two years are unlikely to need more than $4-5k in expected "would be warranty" repairs.

If it's not in the curve of the fender, it's in the math.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Were sort of toying with the idea of buying a new car. We’re only looking at CPOs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive