Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
What is a terrible car that for some reason, you just can't help but like? It can be unreliable, impractical, have a cheap interior, poor build quality, controversial styling, whatever.

I'll go first. I absolutely love the Series II Land Rover Discovery despite its less than stellar reliability.
It's a nerdy car. A grandma car. Not unreliable, but not at all luxurious. My great aunt, an unmarried missionary, sold a late 60s model to my husband for a dollar. In 85.

A Dodge Dart. Green with a cloth roof.

No one envied us for this car. On the contrary, people laughed at us. But, I have to say that she got us from point A to point B with nary a problem for 20 years until I gave it to my younger brother.

The slant 6 is an amazing engine.

And that car is still on the road.

No one likes Dodge Darts. But I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 06:57 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
I'll always have a soft spot for the Chevrolet Chevette.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 AM

723 posts, read 570,381 times
I think Smart cars are too stinking cute, but you don't see too many driving around.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:17 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,129,944 times
I had a 1969 Renault 10. It was probably the most reliable car that Renault ever sold in the United States, but that's not saying much. However, I loved the car. It got 35 MPG which was GREAT for the time, had the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in before or since and had a HUGE trunk in the front (especially compared to the VW Beetle) for a car it's size. The turn signal lever was on the right side of the steering wheel, and where the turn signal lever should be was a stalk that was the horn and light switch. It had 4 wheel disk brakes at a time when few cars had even front disks. The car was a pleasure to drive and I really missed it when I sold it.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:34 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Alfa's, Land Rovers, and Mini's are at the top of my list. Not only are a lot of them unreliable, the dealer network is skimpy enough outside major urban areas that it's difficult to get warranty repairs accomplished easily.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
My first car was a '79 MG Midget. I had it for four years, and had the starter changed three times. Electrical system was a disaster. It had no AC, but I, overcome by convertible lust, said, "Oh, that's okay. I'll have the top down when it's hot, anyway." That was when I learned just how warm rainy weather can get in the summer.

I loved that car. It was an absolute blast to drive. Even now, with the benefit of hindsight and a number of more reliable vehicles, I debated posting, because I can't bring myself to call it a "bad" car. It was perfect for me when I was in school (it was an early 21-st B-Day/graduation present, given before the start of my senior year in college), but once I was working and had moved away from the conveniences of home and campus, it was a serious headache. I'd love to have another, but only as a second car. They are NOT daily drivers, unless you live in a city with outstanding public transit.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:59 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I still think Deloreans are cool...

Old 04-20-2018, 10:47 AM

604 posts, read 652,513 times
Ferrari cars, love them although I know the mechanic would put his kids through college from maintaining one

Old 04-20-2018, 12:44 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Sixties Scout 800. Loud as a small plane, grossly under powered with a gutless 4 cylinder engine, sheet metal extremely prone to rust, only two doors and no legroom fore or aft.

Great styling though, and 4WD. Think Burt Reynolds' ride in "Deliverance".

Old 04-20-2018, 01:32 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's a nerdy car. A grandma car. Not unreliable, but not at all luxurious. My great aunt, an unmarried missionary, sold a late 60s model to my husband for a dollar. In 85.

A Dodge Dart. Green with a cloth roof.

No one envied us for this car. On the contrary, people laughed at us. But, I have to say that she got us from point A to point B with nary a problem for 20 years until I gave it to my younger brother.

The slant 6 is an amazing engine.

And that car is still on the road.

No one likes Dodge Darts. But I do.
The slant six* was a rock. Steady, reliable, solid.

(* except for the aluminum block slant six)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive