Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:43 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
My first car was a '79 MG Midget. I had it for four years, and had the starter changed three times. Electrical system was a disaster. It had no AC, but I, overcome by convertible lust, said, "Oh, that's okay. I'll have the top down when it's hot, anyway." That was when I learned just how warm rainy weather can get in the summer.
I had an '61 MGA, and a '68 MGB in the 80's at different times as weekend, fun cars. This was well past their prime here, as you know, and I would have people actually laugh at me for driving them, especially the A. They were fun cars for the time, and for what they were, but yeah, reliability wasn't there, but they were older. Perfect candidates for today's "Resto Mods".

My roommate in college had an MG Midget which I would drive on occasion, and I had a BMW 2002 which was a good little car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 02:16 PM

110 posts, read 88,773 times
My first car was a '71 slant 6, Dodge Dart Swinger. Great car.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I had an '61 MGA, and a '68 MGB in the 80's at different times as weekend, fun cars. This was well past their prime here, as you know, and I would have people actually laugh at me for driving them, especially the A. They were fun cars for the time, and for what they were, but yeah, reliability wasn't there, but they were older. Perfect candidates for today's "Resto Mods".

My roommate in college had an MG Midget which I would drive on occasion, and I had a BMW 2002 which was a good little car.

In decent shape, while they do require a good bit of "fiddling", the MGA and particularly the MGB with chrome bumpers are decent hobby cars. I have a '72 B, convertible, need to dust it off and get it going for the season. They are basically pretty robust cars, but do require frequent tuning, particularly the dual carb setup. Although many people "chase their tail" trying to synch the carbs - set the front to match the rear, or set the rear to match the front, pick one. Then adjust both up or down to get the idle right.

If you had those 2 cars in decent shape today, it's you who would be doing the laughing.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:31 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
The slant six* was a rock. Steady, reliable, solid.

(* except for the aluminum block slant six)
Oh not the aluminum!

But the regular one was a real thing of mechanical beauty.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:43 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
What is a terrible car that for some reason, you just can't help but like? It can be unreliable, impractical, have a cheap interior, poor build quality, controversial styling, whatever.

I'll go first. I absolutely love the Series II Land Rover Discovery despite its less than stellar reliability.
Corolla.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Pontiac Firefly Turbo. Only available in Canada (rebadged/tweaked Suzuki Swift), 1.0L 3 cylinder turbo (with intercooler!). If you reached back from the driver’s seat you could pretty much touch the rear glass. Gear shift about half a mile tall. But it could do 100 mph all while sipping gas, and with FWD and an old school handbrake it did amazing donuts in the snow.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Wifes father bought a 1979 Chevy Monza 5 speed to have a car when he came to town. She drove the car otherwise. It was a dandy ride with wire wheels and a luggage rack. The bad part was the engine couldn't keep a head gasket. The dealer had the car more than we did. He ended up giving her the car to trade in on what she wanted.

Brother had the Chevette GT Station wagon with the 4 speed and a souped up 4 banger. Great little screamer for what it was. But it was just like all Chevettes, the front end was poorly designed and the front wheels would start lean to the inside and there was no fixing it. Typical GM crap from those days. Considering though that we used it to round up cattle and sometimes no wheels were on the ground, it was a pretty tough little car. Just the front towers would collapse on all Chevettes.

Old 04-20-2018, 03:45 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,007,004 times
The 15 Versa sedan I had. It blew all over the road at the slightest puff of wind. The heater would barely warm the interior during the winter. Plus a slip-n-slide CVT. In spite of all that I really liked the car.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:10 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I had and always will have a soft spot for AMC cars, especially the earlier style Javelin (1971)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...sha_street.JPG

Old 04-20-2018, 04:17 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Corolla.
I don't think the Corolla is a bad car by most standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive