Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 01:16 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Ambrosia View Post
How is it extremely rude if people don't know you have sound sensitives?
In case you havent heard, loud noises cause hearing loss. Most car horns excedd the minimum level of sound that can cause hearing loss. Its always rude to subject OTHER people to YOUR loud noises, whether it be your dog barking, your stereo blaring, or your car honking UNNECESSARILY.

Maybe you havent heard about hearing loss? Maybe you haven't heard of tinnitus? Maybe you just don't think about the consequences of your actions, and then blame the person who is affected by them?

Its amazing to me, but not surprising, how oblivious most people are to the consequences of their actions and how uppity they will get when faced with having to be considerate of others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f0e50b6946f2

The roar of a jet plane, the rumble of a big rig, that shrill scream from the siren of a speeding emergency vehicle:
The common but loud noises that keep you awake at night and agitate you throughout the day may have a notable effect on your cardiovascular health, experts say.
Researchers say noise pollution may increase the risk of heart disease, such as coronary artery disease, hypertension and heart failure, according to a review paper published this week in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. Why? The authors, who examined research on noise pollution and heart disease, say that loud sounds not only disrupt sleep, which can lead to health problems, but can also ignite the stress response, releasing a rush of hormones that, over time, can damage the heart.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
I can't believe this got to 20 pages.....

God help this man if someone accidentally pushes the panic button on the key fob!
I know 20 pages on a silly topic like this.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:01 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Ambrosia View Post
How is it extremely rude if people don't know you have sound sensitives?
You DO have a "sound alternative". You click your fob ONCE instead of TWICE. See how simple that is?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Being asked not to lock your car with a 2 second beep of a car horn because you don't like it is unreasonable.
For the gajillionth time in this thread: I'm not asking people not to lock their car. I am asking them to lock their car WITHOUT inducing a horrifying beep just as I'm walking in front of their car. Now THAT does NOT seem unreasonable at all.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgekko View Post
I can't believe this got to 20 pages.....

God help this man if someone accidentally pushes the panic button on the key fob!
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I know 20 pages on a silly topic like this.
This isn't a "silly topic". See, y'all denigrate my situation and just call it a "silly topic", because it doesn't affect you the way it affects me. Do you have to suffer from tinnitus for half an hour to possibly hours because some doofus lacks the intellectual capacity to lock his car without horrifying noises and lacks the basic empathy for not negatively affecting other people by loudly alarming their car just as someone is walking by instead of alarming the car after the person had passed by or BEFORE the person had passed by? Sheeesh!

Old 04-24-2018, 02:09 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Sometimes seeing another human being will remind me to lock my car

Old 04-24-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
Sometimes seeing another human being will remind me to lock my car
Well, kindly do it after that person passes by or goes farther away from your car instead of when they are right in front of the car and take the brunt of the sound waves. OR, you can lock your car silently so that nothing happens except the light flash. Seems reasonable, eh?

Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,163,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Well, kindly do it after that person passes by or goes farther away from your car instead of when they are right in front of the car and take the brunt of the sound waves. OR, you can lock your car silently so that nothing happens except the light flash. Seems reasonable, eh?
I wouldn't have thought of that because honestly the noise doesn't bother me. I will keep in mind the next time that other people may be more sensitive to the noise.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:49 PM

13,630 posts, read 10,031,964 times
Quote:
Question. Why in the blue hell would any motorist double-tap their alarm to make sure that the doors are locked....when someone else is STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FREAKING CAR?!

This happens to me all the time. Someone has locked their car once already and are moving away and they press the button again when THEY are out of range....but when I'm RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FREAKING CAR!!! And they KNOW that I am right in front of the freaking car because they are LOOKING at the car when they beep it. And I give them an exasperated look because they just hurt my hearing! (My hearing IS more susceptible to these noises than others', so I know I'm sensitive about this)

I would avoid these cars, but I can't always just run away at a fast clip to get away! Why can't people just....you know.....lock their cars when they're standing right next to them and NOT unleash that abhorrent beep on unsuspecting individuals? What reason do they possibly have to do that, aside from being complete and utter jerkwads? Out of habit? It's a darn annoying habit!

Many cars have locks right on the door that work well with key fobs. My Nissan, I just push the button on the door since the key fob's in my pocket and walk away. No horrifying sounds for anyone else.

One thing that galls me about it is that they make the horrible beep as they're walking away, not directly in front of their car. So they're not affected by it, but people who inadvertently walked into the zone of influence, oftentimes RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CAR, are scared stiff by the sound.

Can y'all PLEASE not beep your darn car once you've left it? You wanna hurt someone's hearing, hurt your own, not others'. I may be preaching to the choir here, but just in case you're one of "those people" and you haven't been thinking about your behavior at all, I hope I've left you with something to think about.

Does anyone else absolutely hate this behavior? Double-tapping their alarms so that the car beeps when they've walked away but when you are right in front of the car to take the full brunt force of the sound waves? Gah!!!
OCD, self doubt, paranoia.

You just can't be sure you did it.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:59 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times
Quote:
Question. Why in the blue hell would any motorist double-tap their alarm to make sure that the doors are locked....when someone else is STANDING RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOUR FREAKING CAR?!
My wife does this all the time. It's the anxiety of not really knowing if the doors indeed got locked. She likes to hear the chime in reassurance. I don't think it's intentional. I just think people don't really focus in on the fact that someone is close by the car. They're too focused on making sure the car is locked.

Then again, they might have seen you and just wanting you to know they're paying attention lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive