Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 AM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times

Advertisements

I'm debating if I should keep or sale my 2004 toyota Rav4. I has 184k miles and recently I had to do $800 of repair on the car as it broke down while driving.So far within the last 5 years, besides regular maintenance I spent about $1300 on the car.

My mechanic said he would inspect the car and see if there is anything else that needs to be done besides fixing a slow oil leak and 4 new tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 04:47 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfertx View Post
What do you consider a car to be reliable and worth keeping?

Pretty much anything made by Toyota will be on the list.

Last edited by MrRational; 04-20-2018 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 05:17 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
I'm debating if I should keep or sale my 2004 toyota Rav4. I has 184k miles and recently I had to do $800 of repair on the car as it broke down while driving.So far within the last 5 years, besides regular maintenance I spent about $1300 on the car.

My mechanic said he would inspect the car and see if there is anything else that needs to be done besides fixing a slow oil leak and 4 new tires.
$1300 in 5 years isn't too bad for maintenance costs, particularly for a car with higher mileage on it.

Since your car is a Toyota, you will generally get a better price on it than with many other makes and models, if you do decide to sell it. If you decide to sell it, make sure that you look up its value on Kelly Blue Book. Typically you will get a lot more from selling it on your own than if you take it to a dealer.

The downside of selling it is of course buying another car, lol. And that means car payments I personally hate car payments because as soon as I have 2 cars in the free and clear, inevitably one of them needs to be replaced. Anyhow, there is also the option of using the car as a trade for a used car--sometimes dealers have specials where they give extra trade allowances so keep alert for those if this looks like something you might do. Payments can be pretty reasonable if you have good credit, a down payment, and a trade.

Personally if it were me, I would sell it myself and use the money to put towards another used car.

I would just look at your own needs and financial situation then go from there.

Toyotas and Hondas are known to be reliable. I've had good luck personally with Ford vehicles but have friends with Hondas that have 300K miles on them

Old 04-20-2018, 05:59 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Honda’s and Toyota’s are also insanely lame and boring. Don’t wear a ball and chain simply because it’s reliable. Live a little and get rid of a car long before 184k miles and breaking down.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:19 PM

946 posts, read 1,134,373 times
Some good inputs here thanks. Im surprised there is more leaning towards selling than keeping.

Wife prefers to sell it and get newer car. Im all about savings lol.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:32 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,246,724 times
Quote:
I'm debating if I should keep or sell my 2004 Toyota Rav4. It has 184k miles and recently I had to do $800 of repair on the car as it broke down while driving.So far within the last 5 years, besides regular maintenance I spent about $1300 on the car.
You should keep it for as long as you can, or sell it to me for cheap.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:55 PM

468 posts, read 355,850 times
Quote:

$1,300 in repairs in the last 5 years is like 3-4 monthly payments on a new ride...so $1,300 not bad at all over 5 years..

Much depends on some other factors such as what do you use the Rav for ? commute to work ? and if yes how far?

What was the $800 repair for?

Where is the slow oil leak coming from ? a gasket or seal or ?

Is there rust on it or underneath ? If yes, how bad ?

If you sold it as is would you than need to buy a a vehicle to replace it ? and if yes, new or used ?

Off the top of my head I would say have the slow oil leak repaired and keep on driving it but final decision should be made after your mechanic thoroughly goes over the car....and if he does find some things that need attention now or in the near future have him tell you estimated repair cost and than decide to sell or keep.

If the small oil leak is the only leak that might be would worth repairing if not a big nut $$$$$$ as many vehicles 14 years old or have 184k on them leak fluids so if you can be leak free with the oil leak repaired that is something to consider also...

I've owned many vehicles due to being an auto enthusiast and at one time had 7 vehicles all registered and insured at the same and I was the only driver.....and every vehicle I purchased was used and the very first thing I look for is leaks.....actually the very first question I ask the seller is " Does it have any fluid leaks at all ?"...I do not just ask oil leak or transmission leak or water leak etc but i ask does it have any FLUID leaks at all ...and I have found by asking that first most sellers will be honest in answering....leaks due to needing a oil pan or valve cover gasket replacement and some other leaks that can by repaired without costing an arm and leg I will consider but vehicles that have multiple leaks I pass on.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 PM

1,166 posts, read 875,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Honda’s and Toyota’s are also insanely lame and boring. Don’t wear a ball and chain simply because it’s reliable. Live a little and get rid of a car long before 184k miles and breaking down.

Why "reinvent the wheel" and start from scratch with a new car with unknown problems? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With older cars at least the pattern failures are known and can be expected to crop up at some point. Fixing your old car will almost always be cheaper than buying new.

You still seem to carry this false notion that "new cars don't break". Keep telling yourself that. New cars breaking is where my paychecks come from.

Meanwhile, I'll keep driving my 16 year old Saturn that's only let me down ONCE in 7 years (when the CV axle broke in front of my house LOL). IMO, there's no bigger "ball and chain" than a car payment.

I think much more highly of a person with an older car with lots of miles that's well taken care of than someone who gets a new one every couple years out of an irrational fear of "the alternator going out in the middle of a bridge in rush hour traffic" or whatever other fear mongering crap you want to spout off.

"New" doesn't equal "unbreakable" and it NEVER will. Remember they also said the Titanic was "unsinkable" LMAO!

OP, keep maintaining it and keep driving it.

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 04-20-2018 at 08:40 PM..

Old 04-20-2018, 09:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Do the math on what a new car would cost you in payments, higher registration fees, higher insurance, higher maintenance usually, too, in the prices for tune-ups, etc.

A new vehicle is likely going to require more than $260/year in maintenance, which is what you've been spending on your older Toyota.

It's my opinion that it's much cheaper to own an older Japanese vehicle overall than any newer vehicle.

I buy older Japanese vehicles and drive them until the body parts start to fail and are not worth repairing. The engines are still usually working great. I'm talking at around 300K, I am ready to retire the one I have, and look for another used one with around 100K on it. Cheap to buy, cheap to own, very reliable.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Why "reinvent the wheel" and start from scratch with a new car with unknown problems? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With older cars at least the pattern failures are known and can be expected to crop up at some point. Fixing your old car will almost always be cheaper than buying new.

You still seem to carry this false notion that "new cars don't break". Keep telling yourself that. New cars breaking is where my paychecks come from.

Meanwhile, I'll keep driving my 16 year old Saturn that's only let me down ONCE in 7 years (when the CV axle broke in front of my house LOL). IMO, there's no bigger "ball and chain" than a car payment.

I think much more highly of a person with an older car with lots of miles that's well taken care of than someone who gets a new one every couple years out of an irrational fear of "the alternator going out in the middle of a bridge in rush hour traffic" or whatever other fear mongering crap you want to spout off.

"New" doesn't equal "unbreakable" and it NEVER will. Remember they also said the Titanic was "unsinkable" LMAO!

OP, keep maintaining it and keep driving it.
I’m sure living in a tent under an overpass is much cheaper than living in a house too. Being tied to an old busted car because you’re afraid a new car might break is sad. Even GM gave up Saturn. Time to move on man. Don’t be the guy with old shoes held together with duct tape because you don’t like any new shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive