Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 06:23 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times

Advertisements

My first year in the car business working at a luxury dealer for Autonation I made on average 4-5k/month working about 50hrs per week. There were a few guys working there clearing 10-20k/month, but they’ve been there for quite a while.

Their pay plan was $2k guarantee per month and $200 per sale with an extra $100 if there was a trade involved in the sale.

All of their pre-owned vehicles were no haggle pricing. The price is the price.

Last edited by louie0406; 05-01-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 06:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
My first year in the car business working at a luxury dealer for Autonation I made on average 4-5k/month working about 50hrs per week. There were a few guys working there clearing 10-20k/month, but they’ve been there for quite a while.

Their pay plan was $2k guarantee per month and $200 per sale with an extra $100 if there was a trade involved in the sale.

All of their pre-owned vehicles were no haggle pricing. The price is the price.
20K in a month with every car purchased having a trade would be 60 cars a month. I would sell maybe 150 a year.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:05 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
20K in a month with every car purchased having a trade would be 60 cars a month. I would sell maybe 150 a year.
Once you hit certain tiers your pay goes up. Sell 10 and you get an extra $50 per car retro back to the first one. Sell 12 and it’s an extra $75 per car. Sell 14 and it’s an extra $100. So on and so on. This doesn’t include any money from the manufacturer or spiffs.

One of these guys I speak of sells 25-30 cars per month on average.

Old 05-01-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Once you hit certain tiers your pay goes up. Sell 10 and you get an extra $50 per car retro back to the first one. Sell 12 and it’s an extra $75 per car. Sell 14 and it’s an extra $100. So on and so on. This doesn’t include any money from the manufacturer or spiffs.

One of these guys I speak of sells 25-30 cars per month on average.
Thanks.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:19 PM

711 posts, read 933,033 times
A close relative of mine sold cars for awhile after his graduation. I don't remember all of his compensation figures except it was about the most unfair labor practice I have ever heard of. I recall it was nearly impossible to calculate his compensation as the dealership refused to give necessary info. to the salespeople, at least to him. That was only the tip of the iceberg. Frankly, I don't think any employer in America should get away with those employment tactics. Last time I heard they were still at it.

I was relieved when he obtained a job in his educational major. I was shocked by his experience at the dealership. Can someone tell me why they are allowed to continue to treat their employees this way? IMHO they should be arrested for impersonating an ethical American employer.

Old 05-02-2018, 07:55 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,669,748 times
Car sales are car sales. I did it for about 5 minutes. It was horrible. One of the most reputable dealers in town, yet in sales meetings every morning they would use euphemisms as a way to tell us to lie as much as possible. I'm not a dishonest person (not claiming to be perfect but a liar I am not). Horrible hours, 80% of the other salesmen were pos scumbags, and just the agony of "chasing it". Wasting time on people who aren't going to buy.

The money was there, though, if you were good at it. I was disgusted too quickly to really try, but other there made at least 60k. One guy made well over 100k, but he had been there the longest. He showed me his paystub, no bs. He got alot of perks like a demo car, insurance and gas paid for. So in his shoes, sure.

Definitely not for me. I don't know what I was thinking, personally. I had just graduated college 3 months prior.

I take that back--I do know what I was thinking. I love cars more than anyone, and thought that would translate to a fun job, etc. No, it's all about lying to close a sale, and working 8a-9p six days a week. Forget that.

Tell her to look for a higher end dealership, or another career. Heck, you can make $20-$30+/hr waiting tables at the right place. In cash.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
Car sales are car sales. I did it for about 5 minutes. It was horrible. One of the most reputable dealers in town, yet in sales meetings every morning they would use euphemisms as a way to tell us to lie as much as possible. I'm not a dishonest person (not claiming to be perfect but a liar I am not). Horrible hours, 80% of the other salesmen were pos scumbags, and just the agony of "chasing it". Wasting time on people who aren't going to buy.

The money was there, though, if you were good at it. I was disgusted too quickly to really try, but other there made at least 60k. One guy made well over 100k, but he had been there the longest. He showed me his paystub, no bs. He got alot of perks like a demo car, insurance and gas paid for. So in his shoes, sure.

Definitely not for me. I don't know what I was thinking, personally. I had just graduated college 3 months prior.

I take that back--I do know what I was thinking. I love cars more than anyone, and thought that would translate to a fun job, etc. No, it's all about lying to close a sale, and working 8a-9p six days a week. Forget that.

Tell her to look for a higher end dealership, or another career. Heck, you can make $20-$30+/hr waiting tables at the right place. In cash.
Exactly what lies did they tell you to say?

Old 05-04-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Exactly what lies did they tell you to say?
This was almost a decade ago so I don't remember specific "lies" they told us to tell, but it wasn't hard to read between the lines. At all.

Just to do whatever you can to sell the BS extended warranties, paint-coats, etc. Tell them whatever they wanted to hear to make them believe they needed it.

They would take deposits and say they were refundable, but then not give the $ back.

Still kind of shocking, literally one of the most recognized names in this (not small) city.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJT123 View Post
This was almost a decade ago so I don't remember specific "lies" they told us to tell, but it wasn't hard to read between the lines. At all.

Just to do whatever you can to sell the BS extended warranties, paint-coats, etc. Tell them whatever they wanted to hear to make them believe they needed it.
Some people can most certainly benefit from an extended warranty.

Quote:
They would take deposits and say they were refundable, but then not give the $ back.
I doubt it as that would be illegal.

Quote:
Still kind of shocking, literally one of the most recognized names in this (not small) city.
And yet, you are lacking on specifics.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Some people can most certainly benefit from an extended warranty.
Extended warranties are a total scam, I guess not everyone knows this. If you change your oil at 3001 miles or miss one single (bs) service (you have to do literally every service in your manual down to a T) the whole thing is voided. They're looking for a way to take your money for the warranty (huge profit for dealer) and then they're designed to be voided when you change your oil 300 miles over.

Quote:
I doubt it as that would be illegal.
They did it.

Quote:
And yet, you are lacking on specifics.
Not going to legally slander a dealer on here, although I'd like to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive