Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times

Advertisements

I just bought a used car that had recently had some major engine work done. The engine work was warrantied by the repair shop for 20,000 miles, only 1200 miles ago. I have all the paperwork, receipts, etc, from the previous owner. The warranty does not have the previous owner's name or information on it, but the repair shop is refusing to honor it stating that it wasn't transferable. No where does it state it is not transferable. Was I wrong to assume that it was transferable if it didn't state it wasn't? Does anyone know of any consumer laws or otherwise that might help? Where do I start? Google has not been helpful.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 06:44 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
I believe automotive service is not transferable unless specifically stated.

Most repair warranties aren't worth the paper they're scribbled on. There are always so many caveats and gotchas that about the only thing covered is the repaired item exploding as they pull the car around for you.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I believe automotive service is not transferable unless specifically stated.

Most repair warranties aren't worth the paper they're scribbled on. There are always so many caveats and gotchas that about the only thing covered is the repaired item exploding as they pull the car around for you.
Yes, if transferable it would State so on the warranty. I don’t think you have a chance of success, unfortunately.
If it makes you feel any better, 1,200 miles isn’t much for a repair if done right. There are many auto repair review websites, plus Yelp and they may even have a Facebook page, where you can post reviews or complaints about what happened. Just be sure to keep it 100% factual.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:09 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,322,792 times
Thanks. I was hoping it was transferable unless it said it wasn't. It was a completely new transmission and now the transmission is out after only 1200 miles since they replaced it. Argh. I know I said engine in the original post, but I guess that wasn't exactly right. I'm not much of a car person :-(

Old 05-04-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If it makes you feel any better, 1,200 miles isn’t much for a repair if done right.
And there's this - if they botched the repair once, do you really want them to do it again?

I once had brakes done on a '99 Intrepid. The shop argued and got huffy when I asked about the necessity to do a full fluid purge for a simple pad replacement - I should have gone elsewhere. I drove it for a day or so and the brakes just didn't feel right, so I went to the honest-indy shop I should have chosen in the first place. The old man of the shop put it up on a lift and pulled all four wheels, then spent fifteen minutes spitting expletives and poking at things. In his opinion, finally rendered, the first shop had done a criminally bad job - wrong pads, installed wrong and already cracked, safety pins missing and all "fixed" with about a pint of rubbery brake-noise reducer. I just had him redo the job, and the first shop (a new independent place) was out of business in a few months.

Quote:
There are many auto repair review websites, plus Yelp and they may even have a Facebook page, where you can post reviews or complaints about what happened. Just be sure to keep it 100% factual.
And this. Choose your auto repair by reputation and review, and pretty much nothing else. Not even a recommendation from one person unless you know that person to be deeply savvy. That they had great coffee and a TV in the waiting room is not a reason to choose a shop.

Old 05-04-2018, 12:11 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
OP, you are out of luck. AS said before, unless it specifically states the warranty is transferrable, it is not.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I just bought a used car that had recently had some major engine work done. The engine work was warrantied by the repair shop for 20,000 miles, only 1200 miles ago. I have all the paperwork, receipts, etc, from the previous owner. The warranty does not have the previous owner's name or information on it, but the repair shop is refusing to honor it stating that it wasn't transferable. No where does it state it is not transferable. Was I wrong to assume that it was transferable if it didn't state it wasn't? Does anyone know of any consumer laws or otherwise that might help? Where do I start? Google has not been helpful.

Thank you.
Most warranties of parts and labor are on the original owner and rarely transferable unless specifically stated to be transferable. Some warranties allow a transfer for a fee

So

What I would do is go to the shop or contact them, ask to speak to the owner or manager and ask them if they’re allow a transfer of the remaining warranty term for a small price. If they don’t are they willing to make a one time exception? Say $150 bucks?

Old 05-04-2018, 01:30 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,977,590 times
Quote:
Was I wrong to assume that it was transferable if it didn't state it wasn't? Does anyone know of any consumer laws or otherwise that might help? Where do I start? Google has not been helpful.

Lesson learned. These are things you check BEFORE you transfer any monies.

Old 05-04-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Lesson learned. These are things you check BEFORE you transfer any monies.
I'm guessing it would not have had much influence on the OP's decision to buy. Having a pile of maintenance and repair receipts is generally a positive in a used car buy; having a transmission rebuilt only 1200 miles before is a big plus. It would take a very savvy and inquisitive buyer to follow through on warranty transferability, reliability of the repaired parts in that year and model, etc.

Bummer that the warranty was not honored, but I don't think it was a foreseeable problem, overall.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
Thanks. I was hoping it was transferable unless it said it wasn't. It was a completely new transmission and now the transmission is out after only 1200 miles since they replaced it. Argh. I know I said engine in the original post, but I guess that wasn't exactly right. I'm not much of a car person :-(
It's unlikely it was a new transmission, even used or rebuilt ones are pretty pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive