Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 04:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times

Advertisements

Automotive forum? the content fits much better in Psychology forum or in sub-forum called Cellphone and Smartphones in Science and Tech forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 04:54 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
First, no if they do not have and are not using a bluetooth. With a bluetooth system, and try and find a new vehicle that does not have one, it depends on the person. There are people who should not even listen to a radio. How much of a difference is it than listening to talk radio, or music at times. Both can be pretty distracting. I see the worst are the ones that are holding the phone up to their ear.

As far as enforcing the law, several state laws are written in such a way that talking on the phone is not a primary offense. In otherwards, there has to be a violation of something else, and then the talking gets tagged on. Plus imagine heavily enforcing it, the police would not have time for anything else.

Mark
I think listening to the radio, even talk radio, is VERY different from having a conversation. One if totally passive, while speaking on the phone is an ACTIVITY. It requires affirmative acts on the driver's part. Both use different parts of the brain, as well.

It's close to having a conversation w/someone who is in the car, but there again, someone who is in the car at least is an extra set of eyes to look out for danger on the road.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:55 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Automotive forum? the content fits much better in Psychology forum or in sub-forum called Cellphone and Smartphones in Science and Tech forum.
Oh...you're right! I clicked on cellphone forum...don't know what happened. I guess I missed!

Wait...I did click on cellphone forum. So a mod must have moved it to automotive.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:06 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Oh...you're right! I clicked on cellphone forum...don't know what happened. I guess I missed!

Wait...I did click on cellphone forum. So a mod must have moved it to automotive.
No, this was originally in "Retirement," then moved to "Automotive."

Old 05-04-2018, 05:39 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
It's a pretty expensive ticket in Calif. and the police enforce it thank goodness.
Not if you're using a hands-free device, and many (most?) modern cars have integrated bluetooth now. I don't have either of those things myself, and basically never use my phone while driving... aside from the occasional and QUICK "I'm going to be late" calls, or running the GPS on speaker. My sister almost always calls me from the car, though, and that's for a few reasons:

- She is currently commuting 40+ miles each way to/from work, often in heavy traffic, and is the type of person who can't just zone out on music or radio.

- She works insanely long and irregular hours, and is sometimes driving that 40+ miles late at night... talking to someone keeps her awake and alert, or so she says. At the very least, we (whoever she is calling) know immediately if something bad happens on the drive!

- Due to her insane work demands, long commute; oh, and the fact that she also has TWO KIDS (+ a husband) at home, the car is basically her one refuge for personal time/calls. We'd probably never talk if she didn't call me then, even though we live a mile apart.

Anyway, since the OP asked, those are some typical reasons why people talk from their cars! As I said, it isn't something I personally do - but as long as they're using bluetooth, I don't really care if anyone else does. It's the texting and LOOKING at one's phone that is more of an issue, tbh.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-04-2018 at 06:24 PM..

Old 05-04-2018, 05:53 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
It's a pretty expensive ticket in Calif. and the police enforce it thank goodness.
They do not and it is not.

It really depends on the conditions. I usually call my family when I'm on the traffic wall as you can't just call them for five minutes, so if I call my mom, grandmother, uncle I'll be on the phone for at least half an hour and often longer. The traffic wall is a perfect time to do that as I'm moving ten feet every few seconds and then stopping for the next hour anyway. Around town or when traffic on the freeway is between stopped and mostly empty I tend not to talk on the phone. Even if I wanted to, I'm just not any good at it. I drive fine when I do. I just can't hold a conversation as half the time I'm not paying any attention to the phone. Same reason I don't like audiobooks in those situations. Good for mindless traffic free stretches or traffic wall, not so good for more involved driving.

Old 05-04-2018, 05:59 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
People today are terrified to be alone in silence with their own thoughts for five seconds. It's very sad.
Or to be with a few people and God forbid, have to actually communicate face to face. Yesterday I walked into the break room at my work. I saw 5 people all had their heads down texting or looking at something their phones, dead quiet, no talking with one another or anything. Years ago, it was like walking into a party sometimes with the noise.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:07 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,056,393 times
Quote:
I have a relative who repeatedly calls me from his vehicle while driving. I adore him and have told him numerous times not to do that because it's unsafe. He also can't have a real conversation with someone he calls while driving. When I see it's his cell phone number calling, I usually answer asking, "You're not driving, are you?" He sometimes calls while eating out alone, and that's fine.

But he still calls from his vehicle, no matter what I say. I don't like it because it's not safe, and he can't really focus on a conversation with me because he's driving. I think maybe it's a habit for him to call people while driving, or he's bored, or both.

Today he called from his cell phone number. When I asked if he's driving, he said yes, he's on a route going to another city to take the kids to the zoo. Now, that's just too much. He's driving AND has kids in the car, and he thinks he can multi-task and have a real conversation with me, too? So I told him to get off the phone, and I hung up on him. Now I feel terrible for hanging up on him.

Why do people call to chat while they're driving? Are they bored? Is it just a habit, having the phone hanging on their ear? What is it? I view it as an insult, in a way, since they can't have a real conversation with me. They're multi-tasking, with their priority being driving (or it should be).
Little news flash here.

IF you answer his calls ,or participate in his calls by talking with him while either of you are driving, then YOU are as guilty of breaking the law as he is. Tell him that. Then refuse his calls. Sometimes ya gotta 2 x 4 someone you like to save them from themselves

Old 05-04-2018, 06:07 PM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
I think listening to the radio, even talk radio, is VERY different from having a conversation. One if totally passive, while speaking on the phone is an ACTIVITY. It requires affirmative acts on the driver's part. Both use different parts of the brain, as well.

It's close to having a conversation w/someone who is in the car, but there again, someone who is in the car at least is an extra set of eyes to look out for danger on the road.
Nah, don't think it's that at all.

It's just I think some people don't have the ability to focus on one thing or the other as situation dictates. There's always going to be some degree of distraction, but for most people it's minimal. With a passenger in the car, assuming they are a driver, they know the types of situations where you need to pay attention and the ones where you don't. Most of them shut up. The others are children or lousy passengers. The person on the opposite end of the phone can't tell, of course, so it's up to the driver. If you're someone whose brain won't switch from phone to traffic, you shouldn't be talking on the phone, listening to music, or allow your non-driving passengers to talk. If you are, it's not a huge deal as it's just something that intuitively happens. Audio books/podcasts/telephone is basically how I survive. I spend a lot of time hitting the back button on my steering wheel as I have absolutely no clue what happened when my brain switches from mindless driving mode to I need to pay attention now mode. Same thing on the phone. Eventually the person gets tired of me ignoring them and hangs up, usually before I even think I probably shouldn't be on the phone... because again, I'm barely even aware I'm on the phone at that point.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:15 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
I always call people while I’m in my car. It has Bluetooth. It’s basically like talking to somebody in the car and when I get home I have stuff to do so chit chat time is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive