Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:02 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,948,340 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of sand around here. I rarely get stuck, that is because of a posi-track rear end. Recently installed Monroe load adjust shock absorbers. They are quite firm and the rear end appears to sit almost two inches higher now.

The problem is that the rear axle now shakes when the tires are spinning in sand. This never happened with the old worn out shocks.

I worry that the rear axle is either damaged or may become damaged as a result of shaking. I take my dogs on frequent walks in remote locations. So shaking in sand happens a couple times/week....for a few seconds.

The 4WD doesn't work. It was that way when I bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 06:32 PM

3,669 posts, read 4,809,848 times
Were they installed by a shop and perhaps did that shop look at the max sidewall pressure for the tires and fill them up? If the sand is soft you'll do a lot better with less air in your tires.
I drive our mid atlantic beaches all the time and if I don't air down my tires they will hop were as airing them down make them float smoothly over our soft sand. Another thing is to possibly lay off the gas a bit as that will help the tire dig in and try to hop, "shaking the axle".

I'd try airing down before entering the sand and see how that goes. You'll be surprised how much better it will be because in sand you want to float. Remember, spinning the tires will dig you to China and you have no working 4 wheel drive to help "pull" you out!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
Were they installed by a shop and perhaps did that shop look at the max sidewall pressure for the tires and fill them up? If the sand is soft you'll do a lot better with less air in your tires.
I drive our mid atlantic beaches all the time and if I don't air down my tires they will hop were as airing them down make them float smoothly over our soft sand. Another thing is to possibly lay off the gas a bit as that will help the tire dig in and try to hop, "shaking the axle".

I'd try airing down before entering the sand and see how that goes. You'll be surprised how much better it will be because in sand you want to float. Remember, spinning the tires will dig you to China and you have no working 4 wheel drive to help "pull" you out!
Good ideas but 98% of the driving is on the interstate where I seek the gas mileage that normal tires pressure helps with.

I installed the shocks, that was easy.

I have a couple 4WDs but that doesn't help too much if I get stuck 18 miles away.

I have found that speed and momentum does a great deal towards not getting stuck. If I laid off the gas, the sand could stop momentum then I am screwed.

Guess I should just use a 4WD in more remote country. They are both attached to trailers at the moment...while I decide where to park the stuff on the trailer.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:40 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,717,888 times
Installing a set of shock absorbers should not raise or lower a car significantly. I don't understand why your rear would be 2 inches higher.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:49 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,960,225 times
Are you sure you installed the proper shocks for your vehicle? How are you determining that it is the axle that is shaking?

Old 05-09-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Installing a set of shock absorbers should not raise or lower a car significantly. I don't understand why your rear would be 2 inches higher.
These shocks have springs on them to help with heavier loads. Exact same length as the last set.....right set. 2" is a guess...looking at visuals. Got me to thinking about a bigger set of tires to smooth out our washboard roads.

The new shocks do not like washboard roads at all. Much bumpier ride on bad roads.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:51 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,048,328 times
First thing I'd do is verify that the shock are installed correctly. Yes, correctly. If your truck rode fine before the new shocks were installed then rode not so good. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know the shocks are either the wrong shocks for your truck or they are installed wrong. Lastly they are defective somehow.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:16 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,846,622 times
Probabilities are high you have a hiway tred tire on the truck and the tire has a considerable amount of wear. A good set of truck or off road tires on the rear will cure the problem. FWIW, my brother works ranches all day long. He's in charge of security and keeping the coyote and hog population under control. His ranch truck is a new Chevy Silverado extended cab 4x4 with the 5.3 engine. That POS can get stuck on asphalt. It has to be the worst 4x4 system in the world....with the factory hiway tires. He recently had a set of offroad Armstrong tires put on it by the rancher that owns the truck. No more wheel hop and it works like a 4x4 should now. Considering we are from sand country south of San Antonio, tires are the difference between going and hopping around like a frog.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,367,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
There is a lot of sand around here. I rarely get stuck, that is because of a posi-track rear end. Recently installed Monroe load adjust shock absorbers. They are quite firm and the rear end appears to sit almost two inches higher now.

The problem is that the rear axle now shakes when the tires are spinning in sand. This never happened with the old worn out shocks.

I worry that the rear axle is either damaged or may become damaged as a result of shaking. I take my dogs on frequent walks in remote locations. So shaking in sand happens a couple times/week....for a few seconds.

The 4WD doesn't work. It was that way when I bought it.

You have axle hop. You have the wrong shocks. They may physically fit but they are wrong for your application.

Basically your “lift” now changed the position of your axle and allows for your tires to much more easily twist your springs from their normal arched position into a sideways S shape.
Basically your tires are gaining traction and twisting the axle housing in a downward motion. The springs try to go back to their original arch and the tires are getting traction and twisting them back. This is happening really fast. This is very bad for your drivetrain.
Take off those shocks and get some regular shocks. Shocks should never lift a vehicle

Why is your 4x4 not working? What truck do you have?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:21 PM

13,108 posts, read 20,844,908 times
Installed upside down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive