Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Fiat 124 Spider -VS- Mazda Miata MX-5
Miata MX-5 39 82.98%
Fiat 124 Spider 8 17.02%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 04:33 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times

Advertisements

I gotta Admit I am surprised, I subscribe to a lot of car magazines and read a lot of forums. While "experts" all sided with the Fiat it seems all enthusiasts side with the Miata.

Basically the Miata is faster and more fun to drive in town and the Fiat is more fun to drive out on winding country roads from what I gather. I also agree it's easier to fix the suspension than the engine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 04:49 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Dude, they’re made at the same factory. They’re both Japanese cars.
Great point, Ziggy . . .

The "same parents" issue is fairly obvious just from looking at their profiles. Not certain what's under their hoods, however, except for badging, etc. they are basically identical.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:53 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
Fiat seems to me like a chicks car. I never see men driving one. Oh well, each to his own.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,944,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Fiat seems to me like a chicks car. I never see men driving one. Oh well, each to his own.
Neither are chick cars. They’re mostly manuals and fairly spartan and more performance oriented than comfort. I’ve never seen a girl drive either and they usually hate their hair blowing in the wind.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:55 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Putting an Italian motor in a Japanese roadster is like casting The Rock in a British period drama: the idea sounds entertaining but you know it's only a matter of time before it goes south. I'd prefer the assurance of a fully Japanese-engineered powertrain. Plus if something does go wrong under the hood it will be easier getting the Mazda serviced.

Old 05-11-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Putting an Italian motor in a Japanese roadster is like casting The Rock in a British period drama: the idea sounds entertaining but you know it's only a matter of time before it goes south. I'd prefer the assurance of a fully Japanese-engineered powertrain. Plus if something does go wrong under the hood it will be easier getting the Mazda serviced.
It’s a Mazda not a Toyota. These are the same people who thought a rotary engine was a good idea.
Fiat on the other hand is making Hellcats and Demons.

Old 05-11-2018, 03:28 PM

9,979 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Yeah right, like there's a bunch of automotive engineers over in Turin churning out those Dodge hi-po cars. There's more Mercedes DNA in those cars than FIAT DNA. And in many ways the rotary IS a good idea and might still be around had it not been effectively regulated into the grave.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Yeah right, like there's a bunch of automotive engineers over in Turin churning out those Dodge hi-po cars. There's more Mercedes DNA in those cars than FIAT DNA. And in many ways the rotary IS a good idea and might still be around had it not been effectively regulated into the grave.
No, rotarys are stupid. They get terrible gas mileage, they’re unreliable, an emissions nightmare, and put out no torque. With a rotary you have to worry about both gas and motor oil prices. Burning oil means it’s working per design. There’s a reason nobody else in the world even bothered to make them.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:30 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I gotta Admit I am surprised, I subscribe to a lot of car magazines and read a lot of forums. While "experts" all sided with the Fiat it seems all enthusiasts side with the Miata.

Basically the Miata is faster and more fun to drive in town and the Fiat is more fun to drive out on winding country roads from what I gather. I also agree it's easier to fix the suspension than the engine.
I think you’ll find most experts don’t side with the Fiat. The Mazda is a top choice in C&D, MT, and R&T annually and the Fiat is nary a mention.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...iata-rf-page-8

http://www.motortrend.com/news/mazda...t-drivers-car/

Old 05-12-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I think you’ll find most experts don’t side with the Fiat. The Mazda is a top choice in C&D, MT, and R&T annually and the Fiat is nary a mention.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...iata-rf-page-8

Mazda MX-5 Miata RF: 10th Place - 2017 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - Motor Trend
That's exactly why you should buy the Fiat. Its a steal and you can get them for nothing while educated people know its the same car as the Miata while sounding and looking much better.

Rule of thumb...when Car and Driver tell you something, always do the opposite, because C&D are just paid off fanboys.

Not that anybody heeds their advice anyway. Which is why everybody on this forum thinks the Miata is a chick car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive