U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:43 PM

338 posts, read 193,045 times

Advertisements

what is the best way to get a good deal on a used police car, preferably Impala or crown victoria

any warnings or pitfalls I need to avoid

Thanks

I live in IL USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 08:20 PM

5,621 posts, read 13,023,587 times
You'll need to find out how they sell them when they are unloading them. Some will sell only thru a wholesale house to registered dealers. Some will have their auctions. Be aware, there isn't much car left to buy when they finally unload them. All of them have been rode hard and put up wet.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:42 PM

32,439 posts, read 26,308,370 times
understand also that auctions are an atmosphere of people looking for bargains, but end up paying much more than the cars are worth. for instance, back in the late 70s when i worked for city government, we had chevy novas and dodge aspens in the police fleet. as noted these cars were ridden hard and put away wet, but they were also well maintained.

however after looking at the market values at the time, and what the auctions brought, most of the cars ended up being sold for a minimum of $500 over market value at the time, and that was for a pretty much junk vehicle. most cars were more like $2000-3000 over market value. you are better off finding a decent condition P71 crown vic, or what ever the chevy caprice code was, from a private party, preferably one that came from the dealer to the private party and not through a government agency.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:58 PM

18,383 posts, read 20,122,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
You'll need to find out how they sell them when they are unloading them. Some will sell only thru a wholesale house to registered dealers. Some will have their auctions. Be aware, there isn't much car left to buy when they finally unload them. All of them have been rode hard and put up wet.
Try to look for detective cars. Out here in Si Cal there is a place in Long Beach that you go give a sealed bid for the car you want. If you’re high bidder they call you

Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 PM

3,123 posts, read 1,268,042 times
I can tell you from experience that when a Crown Vic or Caprice goes on the auction block, the cab companies are standing in line to grab them all up.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:07 AM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
what is the best way to get a good deal on a used police car, preferably Impala or crown victoria

Specifically WHAT municipal auction in Illinois will you be attending?? I have headed to the auctions in the northwestern suburbs of Chicago. In that auction, MULTIPLE municipalities sell their used police vehicles and other surplus municipal auctions.

I have to admit that I would go to these auctions for the entertainment value. If you want to watch recent immigrants bid 40-50% more on old worn out police vehicles than they could find from other sources, it is a great place to spend a Saturday morning.

Police cars are generally fairly well abused. But assuming that you do find one that is in good mechanical shape, the interior will look ragged as all of that electronic equipment comes out leaving holes in the console and holes in the headliners. The rear seats generally have some kind of vinyl and there is generally not carpeting in the vehicles..

Some municipalities know that they are going to drive the cars a fixed number of miles and do not do well with the maintenance. Some like the city of Chicago drive their cars nearly forever. For every decent vehicle you will find, you will find 50 that have been through stuff that you would never want your vehicle to do.

The police Impalas are NOT popular vehicles. They do not hold up very well in normal use much less police use. When I was heading to the auctions ten years ago, they would trade out the Impalas at a 60k interval and the Crown Vics at 100K.

I would go to the auction, talk with some of the municipal people and the like. Realize that they KNOW which cars are excellent and which ones are real POSs. And I will guarantee that if there is a decent car, they'll have a handful of friends waiting for THAT car to come up. You will be facing some very stiff competition for those vehicles.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:50 AM
mym

572 posts, read 803,650 times
Quote:

Thanks

I live in IL USA
i used craigslist in TX. paid 3k. had to get the holes filled in the roof and paint on the body as they scrape the decals off. you have to take off any emblem that still says 'police' like the badge on the trunk. extremely fun car. kinda smelled like dog vomit.

Old 05-10-2018, 04:23 AM

4,833 posts, read 4,947,484 times
Quote:

Thanks

I live in IL USA
Buy a Blues mobile:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKmuKjpKPIo

Old 05-10-2018, 07:01 AM

3,294 posts, read 1,559,725 times
Quote:

Thanks

I live in IL USA
Why a used police car? If you are interested in a Crown Vic, you are better off getting the LX model or upgrade to a Lincoln Towncar , in the L series if possible. Same vehicle, better comforts. You will appreciate a sunroof and power leather seats.

An ex police car has bad interiors, and looks like a decommissioned government vehicle. These vehicles have cloth bucket seats, and some with hard plastic rear seats. The Tahoes or Suburbans that are for sale offers the same bare bones interior, including those rubber floor coverings. Cant really even use them for a taxi/cab due to the bare bones interior.

These vehicles may have heavy duty suspensions, may have holes throughout the interior and exterior. These vehicles do not have anything else special, like more power. Some may have special gearing or a transmission modification. You can do those mods on your own.

I owned a 07 Lincoln town car, in an L trim. Black on Black with moon roof and the works. Fine car, regret flipping it for a few dollars profit. I am sure my family and occasional passengers really appreciated the Luxury.

Crown Vic and Town Cars go for about the same money.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:02 AM

9,172 posts, read 16,641,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Not necessarily true.

Yes, many of them are city patrol cars that have stood at idle for hours on end and never driven faster than the city speed limit in stop-and-go traffic. Some have been involved in high-speed chases over all kinds of terrain, many have had drunks puke in the back seat, and virtually all have had coffee spilled in the front seat.

But some have been highway patrol or county sheriffs' cars, driven primarily at highway speeds. Some have been used by chiefs or other administrators as personal vehicles. All have been maintained on a more regular basis than the car belonging to Joe Average Driver; and most are more likely to have had those little nagging problems fixed that most of us learn to live with, because why wouldn't you drop it off at the motor pool for repair if you're not the one footing the bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or