Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:39 PM

15,023 posts, read 9,979,744 times

Advertisements

Corbin Motors back in the mid 90s had 3 models of 3 wheeled vehicles that were actually sold to the public; single seat electric (Sparrow). single seat roadster equipped with a Harley Davidson engine (Merlin), and double seat coupe also equipped with a Harley Davidson engine.

I believe they went bankrupt.... and was acquired by another company.

Corbin Sparrow Electric Vehicle

Merlin Roadster | Sparrow EV

Looks like they are trying to get a newer version of the Sparrow out with modern technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM

13,623 posts, read 12,239,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Good points. In a more practical world, there would be a market for motorcycle-like vehicles, that are easier to drive, safer, and offer better weather-protection than motorcycles... but which are also single-seat, light and agile, peppy, efficient, and easy to park. I'd love to commute on a motorcycle, but am terrified of ending up in a different sort of single-seat vehicle: a wheelchair.
It isn't as if there aren't vehicles like what you describe available...Notably Scion/Toyota iQ, the Smartcar, they just aren't popular in this world, though they are two seaters.. And, you exclude tons of market share with a one seater. Even Motorcycles usually fit two!

Old 05-15-2018, 03:38 PM

297 posts, read 164,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
With all the huge SUVs on the streets, I sure wouldn't want to be in one of these micro cars. The term "crushed like a bug" comes to mind.
The song by Radiohead "Let Down" comes to mind

Old 05-15-2018, 04:56 PM

13,565 posts, read 9,570,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It isn't as if there aren't vehicles like what you describe available...Notably Scion/Toyota iQ, the Smartcar, they just aren't popular in this world, though they are two seaters.. And, you exclude tons of market share with a one seater. Even Motorcycles usually fit two!
The iQ and the Smart have an empty weight of around 2000 pounds... Not exactly motorcycle caliber. They are designed for urban utility - not performance. There already is a performance-oriented 2-seater in the 2000 pound range: the Mazda Miata. But what about a 1000 pound Miata? Or a 500 pound one?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:07 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,725,202 times
I have a 2013 Smart car I use to jump around town. It is a good vehicle for what it's designed for. I average around 46mpg and it seats 2 comfortably (plus dog). Small cars have a place and are practical for many situations. However, it amazes me how weirdly people react to me driving it. Many are amused but some are irritated for absolutely no reason at all. I could be driving with the flow of traffic and people feel compelled to pass me for absolutely no reason at all and often with dirty looks and gestures. I am not driving slow or slowly accelerating. In a few cases these people have put their lives and the lives of others in danger by passing in no passing zones. I don't understand the mentality. It seems like somehow driving a small car, like a Smart, is a reason for someone in a much bigger car to try and "bully" the small car driver. The biggest culprits for some reason are women in large SUVs and men in pickup trucks. I think they must automatically think I'm driving too slow and they must get past me because of the car I'm driving.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:04 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,841,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I have a 2013 Smart car I use to jump around town. It is a good vehicle for what it's designed for. I average around 46mpg and it seats 2 comfortably (plus dog). Small cars have a place and are practical for many situations. However, it amazes me how weirdly people react to me driving it. Many are amused but some are irritated for absolutely no reason at all. I could be driving with the flow of traffic and people feel compelled to pass me for absolutely no reason at all and often with dirty looks and gestures. I am not driving slow or slowly accelerating. In a few cases these people have put their lives and the lives of others in danger by passing in no passing zones. I don't understand the mentality. It seems like somehow driving a small car, like a Smart, is a reason for someone in a much bigger car to try and "bully" the small car driver. The biggest culprits for some reason are women in large SUVs and men in pickup trucks. I think they must automatically think I'm driving too slow and they must get past me because of the car I'm driving.
Lol, I used to get that with my Mini all the time. I even got passed on a 30 mph neighborhood 2 lane street by an old guy in a pickup on a Sunday morning just so he could stop at the stop sign 100 feet away first. Something about little cars just rubs people the wrong way. I don’t take it personal though, because I in turn hate bicyclists with a raging passion.

What’s funny is that motorcycles seem to get far more respect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive