Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 11:06 AM

1,066 posts, read 623,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I just don't speed.

seems simple enough

Old 05-16-2018, 11:51 AM

9,250 posts, read 11,006,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
On a limited access highway, speed limit + 9 on cruise control will never get you a ticket. Ditto speed limit + 4 on a secondary road. Any faster than that and you’ll eventually get a ticket no matter what you do.
Yeah. Around here, if you go the speed limit you'll be ticketed for impeding traffic flow. Figure 5-10 over in town and 10-15 over on the interstates. It's how almost everyone drives.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:56 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,401,449 times
And go have sex at a Motel and not while driving...The Urge cannot be that important, unless you just got out of Jail, and that's where you're goinn back again !!!

Hehehehehe

Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,542,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It might be common sense; but it does not work that way. I drove the Interstate today and most of the traffic was doing from 15 mph to 25 mph over the limit. That was through a safety zone with double fines and frequently patrolled.

How long have car manufacturers sold vehicles because of 'speed'? If they tried to sell vehicles that never went over the limit; how many do you think they would sell?
seriously, what are you 16? what you unable to control your foot because the car maker put 3 digits on the speedometer?

sorry Fisheye, this one is totally on you. you don't want to get speeding tickets?? don't speed. I live in PHilly and work in Wilmington DE. I am on I 95 twice a day, 5 days a week for 28 years now and I've never gotten a speeding ticket EVER.

If the traffic is going faster than me, I move over and stay in the right lane. it's simple.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 PM

18,755 posts, read 17,997,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
seriously, what are you 16? what you unable to control your foot because the car maker put 3 digits on the speedometer?

sorry Fisheye, this one is totally on you. you don't want to get speeding tickets?? don't speed. I live in PHilly and work in Wilmington DE. I am on I 95 twice a day, 5 days a week for 28 years now and I've never gotten a speeding ticket EVER.

If the traffic is going faster than me, I move over and stay in the right lane. it's simple.

Seriously; you did not read any of my other post! I already stated that I have driven about 2.5 million miles and that on July 4th I will have driven 50 years without a ticket! I am currently 71. Read what I stated in that post you quoted; I only reported what I observed.

Old 05-16-2018, 01:50 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,930,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The key word is "occasionally". Of all the times I have been pulled over, the cops fit into one of three groups. Group 1, traffic cops trying to fill their ticket quota. It is impossible to talk your way out of a ticket with a traffic cop. The cop might even apologise, but he is not going to let you out of a ticket. Group 2, patrol cops like you who are not involved in traffic enforcement, and have no ticket quota, and who the last thing they want to do is spend a day in traffic court. I have never gotten a ticket from this group. Group 3, which I don't know what to call them except Gestapo. They are usually in a group and pull you over because they have profiled you or your vehicle and intend to pull you out and search your car in total disregard for the US Constitution. With this group, a ticket is the least you will get off with, because they have to justify pulling you over and searching your car. It will probably be a ticket for something stupid, like having a burned out tail light, even though your lights are working fine.

From my experience it's best to just keep your mouth shut. The cop is going to do, whatever he is going to do, regardless of what you say. Opening your mouth can only make it worse for you.
As a police officer, traffic enforcement was just one part of my job. I don't know about Oregon, but the LAPD took the issue of "quotas" very seriously. From the time I hired on in 1974 until I retired in 2014, no police officer was ever required to issue a minimum number of traffic citations per shift. Some watch commanders tried to press the issue of quotas by making it a "performance standard", but the police protective league got them to back off. Despite the old joke about "not having a quota, we can write as many citations as we want", LAPD policy was to only write a citation that was warranted and that will hold up in court.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:00 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,063,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree with watching out for the downhill speed traps. Everybody loves to coast downhill, and the revenue agents can take their pick of any car they want. In general, watch out for speed traps where ever they are. Cops are pretty predictable. They always set up in their favorite spots. Also watch out around construction zones, even if there is no work actually going on. If the signs are up, the fines are double.

Also watch out when driving with out of state plates. When you are out of state, you are pretty much screwed. The revenue agents are going to be all over you. Also watch out on holidays and holiday weekends. Revenue agents are never happy about having to work on a holiday, so they love to wreck as many other people's holidays as possible, in the name of safety of course. Of the dozens of speeding tickets I have gotten, every single one was either when I was driving out of state, or it was in my own state on a holiday weekend.
WTF??!!

What are you doing to accumulate DOZENS of tickets when most people don't accumulate more than a handful in a lifetime of driving?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:01 PM

5,290 posts, read 5,201,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Of course, when you have no points, it is easier to risk a ticket.

Most vehicles can get speeding tickets. I had two of the old VW's from the early 1970's and they would do 76 mph. Once on the Garden State Parkway I was maxed out and passing a bright red Corvette and a officer pursued and pulled over the Corvette. We both had red vehicles and I was faster; but his had more chrome! Our police like bright, shinny, things.

Yes; I liked to drive West and South of PA. As a trucker we got paid by the mile and it is hard to make money in NYC or DC rush hour traffic. However the Western States do have their own problems; like mandatory tire chains during snow events or the speed trap cameras that Arizona had for some time.

One recent problem in our State is that our police are using more unmarked vehicles or police cars that do not look like police cars. It is now very wise to slow down for any vehicle approaching from the rear.
That is such an ignorant thing to say about police. The only reason you were passing a red Corvette is because the Corvette and already seen the cop and had slowed down, which is why you were able to pass him. Unlucky for the Corvette, who the cop had probably gotten going 20 mph over the speed limit when he was a half mile in front of you.

I will never understand why people think its okay to go 10 or 15 miles over the speed limit because others are doing it too. So if they all drive over a cliff, will you go with them because they are doing it?

Old 05-16-2018, 02:02 PM

335 posts, read 353,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Tips to avoid speeding tickets; Don't speed
Whats the safest way to fly? Don't travel.
Best way to avoid a hangover? Don't drink.
Best way to avoid pregnancy? Abstinence.

Stupid advice.

Old 05-16-2018, 02:03 PM

335 posts, read 353,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
As a police officer, traffic enforcement was just one part of my job. I don't know about Oregon, but the LAPD took the issue of "quotas" very seriously. From the time I hired on in 1974 until I retired in 2014, no police officer was ever required to issue a minimum number of traffic citations per shift. Some watch commanders tried to press the issue of quotas by making it a "performance standard", but the police protective league got them to back off. Despite the old joke about "not having a quota, we can write as many citations as we want", LAPD policy was to only write a citation that was warranted and that will hold up in court.
Please don't tell me you were part of the LAPD that wrote jaywalking tickets, where you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive