Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 11:43 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I cannot believe it 9 pages for getting a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, this just might surpass the what kind of oil should I use, it’s the law people you have to wear a seatbelt my lord it’s been the law for decades and people are still debating this. It’s been the law since before most of you were born.

I was 10 when the first state mandatory seatbelt use law was passed - NY in 1984.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 12:31 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I was 10 when the first state mandatory seatbelt use law was passed - NY in 1984.
I was 17 when you were born.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:06 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I cannot believe it 9 pages for getting a ticket for not wearing a seat belt, this just might surpass the what kind of oil should I use, it’s the law people you have to wear a seatbelt my lord it’s been the law for decades and people are still debating this. It’s been the law since before most of you were born.
I am in my 40's and no one wore seat belts when I was growing up. No car seats for infants/toddlers either. I can ride a motorcycle on the highway at 70 MPH with no helmet, but I can't drive around my home town in a full size truck surrounded by steel and air bags at 30 MPH??

Old 05-22-2018, 01:12 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It was my only offense, and kind of my own fault, I had a fairly bright coral colored shirt on and my drivers side window was all the way down, I drove right past a cop in a parking lot, looking for speeders, my bright shirt probably drew his attention and he could easily see i wasnt wearing the seatbelt. Its pretty expensive ticket ($162.50).

HE did something strange though, when he pulled me over, he came to my driver side window, told me why he pulled me over and asked for my ID and insurance, but then he returned, he came up on my passenger side, I had to roll the window down, not sure why he didnt come back to the driver side. i was the only one in the car at the time.
So he didn't get run over. first time around he approaches directly so he can see your hands, etc.
wear your seat belt! seat belts save lives!

Old 05-22-2018, 01:32 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
[quote=TimtheGuy;51970243]I am in my 40's and no one wore seat belts when I was growing up. No car seats for infants/toddlers either. I can ride a motorcycle on the highway at 70 MPH with no helmet, but I can't drive around my home town in a full size truck surrounded by steel and air bags at 30 MPH??[/QUOTEi

It’s the law either folllow it or don’t but don’t complain if you get a ticket and if you don’t like the law write your Congress man or woman it’s simple as that.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
uhhh, it's more like 19 states require a helmet.
It's MUCH more nuanced than that.

Only 3 states allow you to ride without a helmet.

19 states and DC require everyone to wear helmets all the time.

The other states require some riders to wear helmets. For example, riders under 18 have to wear one in Alaska always. In Michigan, riders under 21 always have to, and riders 21+ have to their first two years of licensing but then only if they have at least $20k medical insurance. In Rhode Island, riders under 21 and all passengers have to wear helmets.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:56 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
It's MUCH more nuanced than that.

Only 3 states allow you to ride without a helmet.

19 states and DC require everyone to wear helmets all the time.

The other states require some riders to wear helmets. For example, riders under 18 have to wear one in Alaska always. In Michigan, riders under 21 always have to, and riders 21+ have to their first two years of licensing but then only if they have at least $20k medical insurance. In Rhode Island, riders under 21 and all passengers have to wear helmets.
How about this..... "I" can ride a motorcycle in without a helmet in 31 states including the state I live in and every state surrounding it. Or, there are only 19 states where "I" can't ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

You "nuances" basically restrict kids.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
I knew a woman who didn't like seat belts. She hit gravel in a construction zone, was ejected, and the car rolled over her. Her 17 year old daughter was sitting next to her in the car, belted in, and walked away with a couple bruises and no mother.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:48 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
One time I forgot to put on my seatbelt & I noticed a cop car coming in the opposite direction. I checked to see if it was on & I managed to get it on just in time. The cop was looking right at me. The fines in ca are quite expensive.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:53 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
uhhh, it's more like 19 states require a helmet.
You didn't even read the whole first sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive