Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The old East German Trabant was made of fiberglass.
So was the Jensen CV8. It was dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 03:02 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,897 times
If no one has stated this already, it speed is a much bigger factor in kinetic energy compared to mass. 1/2 * Mass * Velocity squared. Reducing speed would greatly reduce the severity of accidents, but there are many other things to make accidents more survivable or avoidable to begin with:

1) stricter and more frequent driver education
2) keeping vehicles in 90% performance form (get rid of bald tires, old brake fluid, failing cylinders, etc)
3) allow helmets to be used on public roads
4) rid the driver of distractions
5) standardize bumper heights

As for plastic, it's a nice idea. However, you would need to find the right balance of energy absorption, energy dispersion, rigidity, and longevity. I would think that plastic would compromise from wear and fatigue before an alloy frame.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:14 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,719,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
If no one has stated this already, it speed is a much bigger factor in kinetic energy compared to mass. 1/2 * Mass * Velocity squared. Reducing speed would greatly reduce the severity of accidents, but there are many other things to make accidents more survivable or avoidable to begin with:

1) stricter and more frequent driver education
2) keeping vehicles in 90% performance form (get rid of bald tires, old brake fluid, failing cylinders, etc)
3) allow helmets to be used on public roads
4) rid the driver of distractions
5) standardize bumper heights

As for plastic, it's a nice idea. However, you would need to find the right balance of energy absorption, energy dispersion, rigidity, and longevity. I would think that plastic would compromise from wear and fatigue before an alloy frame.
This sounds like something most high school & college automotive classes could discuss

For real the helmet thing requires a lot of discussion.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:00 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
This sounds like something most high school & college automotive classes could discuss

For real the helmet thing requires a lot of discussion.
Oh hell no I’m not wearing a helmet in a car on the street.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:11 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
You know the Saturn was a plastic panel vehicle so it’s nothing new.
I had a Saturn SUV that absolutely shattered from a relatively minor front impact. The plastic pieces that shattered would have been so expensive to replace that the insurance company totaled my vehicle that was only a year old.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Carbon fiber is to expensive and body panels cannot be produced fast enough for a modern assembly plant were they assemble as many as 75 vehicles an hour. And you are talking the price would be out of reach for the average person who drive automotive sales.
My guess, based on current research being conducted here in my home city, in universities around the world, and by energy companies around the world, is that carbon is today what plastic was when The Graduate was filmed. ("One word: Plastics") We have a research facility just outside of town that's about to be leased to a half dozen different research teams, all with one goal: find uses for carbon. (Our county provides 30-40% of the nation's coal from giant open pit mines. That's a lot of coal, and carbon is what's holding it back right now.)

The winning team, iirc, earns a $20 million prize.

This is but one such research facility using a few scientists. Others are studying it through universities, often funded by mega energy companies. I think we're going to see a lot of carbon being used in a few years. Prices should be competitive to anything else on the market, because it MUST be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I know, from personal experience, that Saturn plastic panels will not shatter upon impact but instead bend and flex.

Of course, if they are hit hard enough, at the right angle, they can be punctured or cracked and broken.

My 1994 SL1 had been hit by so many balls, shopping carts, car doors, etc. over the years and never got so much as a ding.

I miss those panels.
My wife bought a 1997 Saturn in 1998. When she moved in with me she pointed out a "scratch" on her car that had been there when she bought it. The "scratch" is a broken panel. She never had it fixed, as it's hard to see and expensive to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
How much is the carbon fiber body going to add to the price of the car? You’ll be buying a Honda Fit for 50,000
I think it's going to be reasonable. Research costs are being paid by others just to use a product that will make oil and coal energy more palatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
How about bubble wrap?
Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers. I used to LOVE driving those bumper cars!

Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
At least the outside body of course...

I also think gas mileage would increase considering it's a lighter material and plastic cars would also require probably less fuel anyways...

What do you think? Should cars try going all-plastic?

I've had this idea for a long time. A high-quality type of fiberglass, would be the best sort of plastic. I've made kayaks from it that are durable and impact resistant, but weigh very little. Kevlar/S-glass/Derakane 8084 vinylester resin, is my favorite formula for the best results. Important: The S-glass layers go on the outside. I might want to use some lightweight metal tubes for reinforcement, enclosed within the fiberglass. A metal drive-train would be used, of course, but with the reduced weight, could have less H.P. and get far better mileage.

This type of body would be ideal for use in an electric vehicle. The frame could also be made of this material, but as an alternative, a monocoque shell design, heavily reinforced, could work without a standard type of frame.

If a car was made of this material for both the body and the frame, it could weigh only 30% to 40% as much as an all-metal car and be much more resistant to crash damage. If all the vehicles on the road were as lightweight, they might tend to bounce off each other or stationary objects like trees, rather than be crushed by their own weight, on impact.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 05-23-2018 at 12:12 AM..

Old 05-23-2018, 04:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It’s pretty difficult to beat the weight vs cost vs strength capabilities to stamped steel. You could have a giant plastic crush can in front of the car, but why do that when you already have a cheap deformable material that makes up the structure of the car?

I was thinking more along the lines where the entire vehicle is one giant piece, you'd integrate systems into it where required. Add steel if needed such as door pillars or a cage around the driver inside the plastic. Perhaps even much less steel encased in plastic throughout the car similar to how you would use rebar with concrete.

Not saying any of this practical or less expensive but it's an interesting idea.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My guess, based on current research being conducted here in my home city, in universities around the world, and by energy companies around the world, is that carbon is today what plastic was when The Graduate was filmed. ("One word: Plastics") We have a research facility just outside of town that's about to be leased to a half dozen different research teams, all with one goal: find uses for carbon. (Our county provides 30-40% of the nation's coal from giant open pit mines. That's a lot of coal, and carbon is what's holding it back right now.)

I think it's going to be reasonable. Research costs are being paid by others just to use a product that will make oil and coal energy more palatable.
It’s not quite that simple. You can find uses for carbon all day, it’s the mass production of it that’s challenging.
The tooling is expensive, the autoclave and post cure inspection process is expensive and time consuming, and the world’s fastest fastening systems (rivets and welds) are inapplicable. It’s hard to compete with just stamping out metal sheets.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I was thinking more along the lines where the entire vehicle is one giant piece, you'd integrate systems into it where required. Add steel if needed such as door pillars or a cage around the driver inside the plastic. Perhaps even much less steel encased in plastic throughout the car similar to how you would use rebar with concrete.

Not saying any of this practical or less expensive but it's an interesting idea.
That sounds pretty much like how a Corvette is built, with the exception of being one giant integrated piece.
Non reinforced injected plastic would require very thick wall thickness to provide any substantial support. I have a kayak made that way and it weighs a ton. I have a sail kit for that kayak, but a really stiff winds put a lot of load into the plastic floor and causes stress cracks. If that was a simple metal fitting it would ha doe that load with no problems and a lot less weight.
The majority of the car is structural aside from aerodynamic panels like the hood and fenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive