U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 02:11 PM

798 posts, read 246,606 times

Advertisements

Smaller cars have a higher driver death rate than larger cars, SUVs and trucks with only a few exceptions. That's just a fact.

With that said, all vehicles are safer than their counterparts from 10-20 years ago.

You can view driver death rates on the IIHS website.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,703,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No. Most large SUVs have no better crash safety the cars, and maybe even worse. Trucks have by far the worst safety results. They may be big and heavy but that doesn't make them safe.
When they hit that small car, they are, but ive seen a few lately that crashed in the back on these compact sedans, while the pickup and SUV driver was fine, the compact car driver was being taken on a stretcher. I know when you crash a SUV or truck into each other, then its usually worse, but probably more mass meeting each other

Last edited by SAAN; 05-21-2018 at 02:53 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,703,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Next time, try parking next to a Smart or i-Q. That will fix your phobia.
No Phobia here , as I no were described a extreme or irrational fear to the point where I break down or cry if I see or drive next to a larger car lol.

People in metro ATL drive very wild and dangerous and bigger is better when they slam into you.

Here are some smart cars for you...pretty sure a Malibu Camry would have held up better
Mod cut: copyrighted images.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-22-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM

798 posts, read 246,606 times
Nothing is going to hold up well in a head-on with a semi truck. Just as a semi truck isn't going to hold up well if it gets hit by a train...

Old 05-21-2018, 03:52 PM

4,538 posts, read 3,171,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im very tall and I fit fine in a Kia Forte, Elentra, Chevy Cruze ad Corolla etc and they would be fine as a commuter car, but when I see them parked in a parking lot next to F150, Silveardo, Explorer and others SUVs and see the huge difference in size, it always pushed me to atleast a Mid to Full sized car, just for more buffering room in case of an accident, even though I might take a 5-10mpg hit on gas for the bigger car.

Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?
Have you noticed that big tractor trailer rigs are more common than F150ís,Silveradoís, Explorerís and other SUVís?

Old 05-21-2018, 04:04 PM

2,591 posts, read 687,708 times
I like my SUV because it’s big and I might even get another F150 because I like big vehicles I like sitting high up grew up with the 1970’s muscle cars and big land yachts, most comfortable cars ever made.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 PM

8,158 posts, read 6,011,780 times
I got a larger than I needed or wanted because they don't make anything smaller.

Loved my '05 Colorado.. But.. was pretty much forced to upgrade to something bigger with an extended cab because that's all they make anymore.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM

4,388 posts, read 2,431,418 times
My priority was that it be a convertible with 4 seats.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:35 PM

209 posts, read 97,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im very tall and I fit fine in a Kia Forte, Elentra, Chevy Cruze ad Corolla etc and they would be fine as a commuter car, but when I see them parked in a parking lot next to F150, Silveardo, Explorer and others SUVs and see the huge difference in size, it always pushed me to atleast a Mid to Full sized car, just for more buffering room in case of an accident, even though I might take a 5-10mpg hit on gas for the bigger car.

Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?
Neat age-old question that I remember thinking about a long time ago. We considered exactly what you said. Instead of buying bigger, we just bought safer (air bags all around, Subarus were one of the first companies to add extra bars to protect us from side and front impacts, so we bought Subarus and in those days , they were small and safe).

I'd love a smaller car now that's made well. I haven't seen them. I want the old and smaller Forester. Loved them and could afford them. Monster cars consume way too much gas or lie about it and still consume too much gas.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,800 posts, read 37,476,508 times
I prefer my Mack or Kenworth (from a personal safety POV...
But... liability insurance is a Killer!

So... back to the 50 mpg Stealthrabbit, has served me well for 39 yrs.

I keep a few 52 mpg Passats around for host guests who prefer airbags.
I dislike plastic, electronics, sparkplug, e windows / AC... so I am best served in the 1950s. I feel pretty safe in land yachts. But they have their faults too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or