U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:50 PM

6,817 posts, read 4,408,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I drove a 370Z for 5 years, I'd rather have the power and agility to avoid a crash
Exactly! The safest car is the one that's sufficiently agile and nimble, to have avoided the collision in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 11:42 PM

1,166 posts, read 4,289,650 times
Safety is mostly dependent on your driving. Everything else being equal, then is the laws of physics, bigger cars win.

Having said that, I wanted a small, stick shift car so I got a Veloster Turbo, it is fun; I also have life insurance

But for my daughter who is a new driver we got a small CUV, it has better sitting position and her being a new driver, would probably be a bit safer.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:14 AM

4,563 posts, read 1,138,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Smaller cars have a higher driver death rate than larger cars, SUVs and trucks with only a few exceptions. That's just a fact.
Fake news. Small cars, that are crappy, have the highest death rates. I don’t know who willingly drives a Kia or Hyundai, both South Korean cars.
Quote:
The Hyundai Accent sedan and the Kia Rio sedan, both mini cars, had the highest rate of deaths.
https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/sma...safety-report/

I drive a corvette. I’d rather have the acceleration, handling, and speed to avoid such incidents. It also helps to be a defensive drive and not drive like a maniac.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 AM

209 posts, read 96,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Fake news. Small cars, that are crappy, have the highest death rates. I donít know who willingly drives a Kia or Hyundai, both South Korean cars.

I drive a corvette. Iíd rather have the acceleration, handling, and speed to avoid such incidents. It also helps to be a defensive drive and not drive like a maniac.
Thanks for a sane post. I'm fighting to dump our unmentionables that you mentioned. We have a 2013 and 2014. Both are huge mistakes. They also aren't the smallest but my car ("high end" Elantra and that's an oxymoron) makes the Chevrolet Scooter (I can't imagine folks here remembering them) look like a great car. Never never never again and I'm an educated consumer. Since I had to drive 600 miles RT for surgery and followup, I needed a car with lumbar support and my car has it. It also is complete with now a rebuilt engine under 14k miles. When we moved out of state and took it to a dealer for other issues, they're rebuilding engines from this piece of garbage and waiting months for parts to come in. A neighbor couldn't believe (literally) the number of issues I had with this piece of junk until the engine had to be rebuilt. My driving isn't nuts (how can it be with a 147 hp motor).

But, you have the money for a Corvette. I didn't have the money for a better car (and I looked at the Subaru Legacy and it was so poorly designed, I avoided it).

Last, I inadvertently talked some neighbors out of buying a used Hyundai Accent. The people were nothing but expensive problems for us. But I was more knowledgeable than they were. Fortunately, they're killing their Prism by constantly bottoming out getting out of their driveway and, brother, does it show. This is now irrelevant because we moved .

Old 05-22-2018, 06:39 AM

10,089 posts, read 10,606,893 times
No. The only times I have bought a bigger car than my previous car was when I needed the additional capacity for the needs of my growing family.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:44 AM

20,955 posts, read 15,267,317 times
I've driven SUVs, a sedan, and a coupe. The coupe was more comfortable than the sedan. The SUV is more comfortable than all of them.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:00 AM

689 posts, read 618,180 times
Default Sorry but

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No. Most large SUVs have no better crash safety the cars, and maybe even worse. Trucks have by far the worst safety results. They may be big and heavy but that doesn't make them safe.
I am currently insuring three teenage drivers, and it is way cheaper to insure them on a huge, plodding GMC Yukon XL; because of it's size and stability. It would cost me at least double to insure them in a small sedan, or like a Subaru Outback. Size wins on the road. They have done many studies on this.

Last edited by SailCT; 05-22-2018 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 05-22-2018, 07:47 AM

772 posts, read 241,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Fake news. Small cars, that are crappy, have the highest death rates. I donít know who willingly drives a Kia or Hyundai, both South Korean cars.

I drive a corvette. Iíd rather have the acceleration, handling, and speed to avoid such incidents. It also helps to be a defensive drive and not drive like a maniac.
Fake news from CBS, here's the ratings for 2011-2014 (latest model year on record) small four door cars right from the IIHS.

Lowest to highest (higher number means higher death rate):
  • Chevrolet Volt - 7
  • Nissan Leaf - 8
  • Hyundai Elantra GT - 28
  • Toyota Prius - 31
  • Dodge Dart - 36
  • Honda Civic - 39
  • Chevrolet Cruze - 42
  • Toyota Corolla - 43
  • Hyundai Elantra - 44
  • Toyota Prius c - 44
  • Chevrolet Sonic - 48
  • Subaru Impreza 4WD - 54
  • Mitsubishi Lancer 2WD - 63
  • Volkswagen Golf - 63
  • Ford Focus - 68
  • Nissan Sentra - 72

For four door mini's, the class the CBS story used, the Hyundai is the highest, but not by much:
  • Mazda2 - 40
  • Ford Fiesta - 83
  • Nissan Versa - 95
  • Chevrolet Spark - 96
  • Kia Rio - 102
  • Hyundai Accent - 104

Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 AM

772 posts, read 241,060 times
And just to compare, lets look at large SUVs' death rates:
  • Ford Expedition 2WD - 8
  • Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD - 9
  • Buick Enclave 4WD - 12
  • Dodge Durango 2WD - 16
  • GMC Acadia 2WD - 19
  • Chevrolet Traverse 4WD - 20
  • GMC Acadia 4WD - 22
  • Ford Expedition 4WD - 23
  • GMC Yukon 4WD - 24
  • Chevrolet Traverse 2WD - 25
  • GMC Yukon 2WD - 28
  • Buick Enclave 2WD - 30
  • Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD - 32

The large SUV with the highest driver death rate is still less than half that of the highest small car, but has just as high an exposure rate (number of registered vehicles on the road).

Another interesting thing to note, is the accident type. Most driver deaths in large SUVs and pickups are single car accidents and rollovers, for instance all of the Chevrolet Tahoe 2WDs driver fatalities were caused by rollover accidents, whereas, most small car deaths are in multi-vehicle accidents.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 AM

54,144 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im very tall and I fit fine in a Kia Forte, Elentra, Chevy Cruze ad Corolla etc and they would be fine as a commuter car, but when I see them parked in a parking lot next to F150, Silveardo, Explorer and others SUVs and see the huge difference in size, it always pushed me to atleast a Mid to Full sized car, just for more buffering room in case of an accident, even though I might take a 5-10mpg hit on gas for the bigger car.

Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?

Nope, I'd rather have a lighter, smaller car with better braking, acceleration, and handling with a better chance of avoiding an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or