U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,497,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?
No, my approach is to keep one vehicle running forever and not worry about its perceived/actual safety flaws or virtues.

I'm familiar with a family that's done this, however. Mom and her two teenage kids all drive Land Cruisers because mom is obsessive about safety. It also works because dad, who has purchased all of them, is a Land Cruiser fanatic.

The only problem that's developed is the boy has to do a lot of driving now due to school activities. " A lot" is relative because, despite how hard you try, it's really impossible to put "Lower 48" miles on a vehicle around here with the limited road system. Anyway, the kids have to pay for their gas and the boy is revolting-doesn't want to drive the gas guzzler. So he's dumped the SUV and is driving yet another family car with a 4 cylinder and triple the MPG of the big Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM

66 posts, read 15,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im very tall and I fit fine in a Kia Forte, Elentra, Chevy Cruze ad Corolla etc and they would be fine as a commuter car, but when I see them parked in a parking lot next to F150, Silveardo, Explorer and others SUVs and see the huge difference in size, it always pushed me to atleast a Mid to Full sized car, just for more buffering room in case of an accident, even though I might take a 5-10mpg hit on gas for the bigger car.

Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?
No not intentionally. I buy what I like. That being said I was very grateful to be in a larger SUV a few years back. I was hit head on by a drunk driver. He was driving BMW sedan, I was in a 4 Runner. According to the reports and witnesses they estimate that he hit me around 45-50 mph. I personally think that is a bit high. I was stopped at a light.

While i was bruised up pretty badly I was able to climb out and walk away. The driver of the BMW did not survive. On that day, size and weight won out. I don't know if i'd be typing this right now if I was in the Camry that I daily drive today.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:12 AM

3,710 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
I drove a 370Z for 5 years, I'd rather have the power and agility to avoid a crash
Bingo. When you avoid a crash you are in a safe vehicle!

Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM

12,649 posts, read 12,071,712 times
I like these people who think they "avoid" crashes, lol. There are of course things you can do to lower the risk, but crashes also come while you are stopped, someone changing lanes right into you, or poking out of no where right in front of you. Those cars that have been listed here and those classes do in fact have a death and injury rate.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:47 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,871,338 times
Other people's cars have no impact on my decision. I went from an SUV down to a car and was miserable the whole time. As a teacher, I was forever hauling things to and from school (including practically my entire classroom in the summer), I made frequent cross-country trips, and the car was impractical. While those no longer apply, now I have 2 car seats, plus often a stroller, on top of other stuff. An SUV meets my needs so much better.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:11 PM

11,047 posts, read 11,455,634 times
I just don't tailgate, and can see traffic just fine.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 958,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I like these people who think they "avoid" crashes, lol. There are of course things you can do to lower the risk, but crashes also come while you are stopped, someone changing lanes right into you, or poking out of no where right in front of you. Those cars that have been listed here and those classes do in fact have a death and injury rate.

Definitely agree with you. But I think they might be talking about accelerating very fast to merge, or to avoid someone tailgating you. Or being able to brake "race-car" style to avoid something in front of you or being able to swerve with good steering.

It's obviously easier to avoid crashes driving a 370z or even an Audi A4 compared to driving a slow lumbering Lincoln Navigator.

Old 05-22-2018, 04:44 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,699,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Definitely agree with you. But I think they might be talking about accelerating very fast to merge, or to avoid someone tailgating you. Or being able to brake "race-car" style to avoid something in front of you or being able to swerve with good steering.

It's obviously easier to avoid crashes driving a 370z or even an Audi A4 compared to driving a slow lumbering Lincoln Navigator.
The lumbering Lincoln Navigator is what slams into the back of the A4 or 370Z when it doesnt stop in time

Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 PM

6,516 posts, read 8,601,264 times
I'm a senior and all my cars have been sports, sporty or 2 dr coupe AND manual trans. I have no desire to drive a truck disguised as a sports?? utility?? vehicle.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:22 PM

9,164 posts, read 16,515,249 times
No. I've had big cars, but I bought them mostly for the large trunks they had -- '64 Pontiac Grand Prix, '73 Chevy Caprice coupe and '76 Merc Grand Marquise coupe, all with huge trunks. Also had an '81 AMC Eagle and an '86 Jeep Grand Wagoneer before getting my all-time favorites, '86 and then '88 Saab 9000 Turbos. Those had the hatchback, and with the back seats down, it was like having a pickup -- a fast one that felt great cruising at really high speeds.

I was doing some contract work in SD for a friend of mine once, trying to get his little newspaper to turn a profit, and he asked me to drive up to a printing plant (200 mile trip) and bring back a bunch of tourist guides he'd had printed so he could take them back to Wyoming in his Lincoln. I asked him how many he wanted me to pickup, and he said "as many as you can. I'm sure I can get more into my Lincoln than you can get in your Saab." I knew better so got about half a load. He couldn't even get my half-load into his big Town Car. I loved those 9000 Turbos.

I consider safety issues when buying a new car, but I've never bought big for safety reasons.

I was in the newspaper business in my earlier years, and the very first fatal car accident I covered was an eye opener. This was back in the '60s. The driver had run into something, don't recall what, but the car had very little damage. The killer was that little post for the driver's front window vent -- hit his head on it. Dead. It's stuck with me for over 50 years. All else being equal, yes, big cars will beat little cars, but safety design is the biggest thing -- including seat belts and airbags. We didn't have those things in the early 60s. I had lap belts in my car, because, yanno, they were cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or