U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:56 PM

255 posts, read 166,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Fake news from CBS, here's the ratings for 2011-2014 (latest model year on record) small four door cars right from the IIHS.

Lowest to highest (higher number means higher death rate):
  • Chevrolet Volt - 7
  • Nissan Leaf - 8
  • Hyundai Elantra GT - 28
  • Toyota Prius - 31
  • Dodge Dart - 36
  • Honda Civic - 39
  • Chevrolet Cruze - 42
  • Toyota Corolla - 43
  • Hyundai Elantra - 44
  • Toyota Prius c - 44
  • Chevrolet Sonic - 48
  • Subaru Impreza 4WD - 54
  • Mitsubishi Lancer 2WD - 63
  • Volkswagen Golf - 63
  • Ford Focus - 68
  • Nissan Sentra - 72

For four door mini's, the class the CBS story used, the Hyundai is the highest, but not by much:
  • Mazda2 - 40
  • Ford Fiesta - 83
  • Nissan Versa - 95
  • Chevrolet Spark - 96
  • Kia Rio - 102
  • Hyundai Accent - 104
This is why nobody in my family is allowed to drive (and preferably not ride in) any compact or subcompact cars. It's simple physics. So to answer the OP's question. Yes I have always bought at least a midsize car, even when a compact car would fit my needs. Many of them share similar 4 cylinder engines now and don't have a fuel economy penalty anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 07:30 AM

1,772 posts, read 2,067,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagaroth View Post
This is why nobody in my family is allowed to drive (and preferably not ride in) any compact or subcompact cars. It's simple physics. So to answer the OP's question. Yes I have always bought at least a midsize car, even when a compact car would fit my needs. Many of them share similar 4 cylinder engines now and don't have a fuel economy penalty anyway.

How exactly do you enforce that paternalistic rule? Oh man.

I just purchased a little Prius C. It's adorable and fun and makes me feel like a kid again. That's a real good feeling.

Fact is, you can only do so much to mitigate risk in this life. A healthy lifestyle will probably do more to insure longevity than anything else.

I knew a woman that was almost obsessively worried about automobile safety. I don't know what happened in her past, but it was an obsession. She warned her kids endlessly about safety on the road and the safest cards. She was exiting her car one day when a drunk driver came out of nowhere and killed her instantly.

There's not but so much we can do to safeguard our well-being.

Aqua Toyoto Prius C 2017 by Rosethornil, on Flickr

Old 05-23-2018, 07:32 AM

1,772 posts, read 2,067,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Definitely agree with you. But I think they might be talking about accelerating very fast to merge, or to avoid someone tailgating you. Or being able to brake "race-car" style to avoid something in front of you or being able to swerve with good steering.

There are regional differences too.

Avoiding accidents is a lot easier in Alhambra, Illinois than it is in Boston, Massachusetts!

Old 05-23-2018, 08:28 AM

11,077 posts, read 7,278,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im very tall and I fit fine in a Kia Forte, Elentra, Chevy Cruze ad Corolla etc and they would be fine as a commuter car, but when I see them parked in a parking lot next to F150, Silveardo, Explorer and others SUVs and see the huge difference in size, it always pushed me to atleast a Mid to Full sized car, just for more buffering room in case of an accident, even though I might take a 5-10mpg hit on gas for the bigger car.

Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?
Yes, I have, but it's not the SUV etc, it's just the numbers of idiots on the road. What I drive now, has already saved me from one drunk driver, so I'm keeping it.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:04 PM

255 posts, read 166,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
How exactly do you enforce that paternalistic rule? Oh man.

I just purchased a little Prius C. It's adorable and fun and makes me feel like a kid again. That's a real good feeling.

Fact is, you can only do so much to mitigate risk in this life. A healthy lifestyle will probably do more to insure longevity than anything else.

I knew a woman that was almost obsessively worried about automobile safety. I don't know what happened in her past, but it was an obsession. She warned her kids endlessly about safety on the road and the safest cards. She was exiting her car one day when a drunk driver came out of nowhere and killed her instantly.

There's not but so much we can do to safeguard our well-being.

Aqua Toyoto Prius C 2017 by Rosethornil, on Flickr
I think what I'm trying to mitigate is unnecessary risk. Of course there is an innate risk to everything in life. Everyone is free to make their choices for themselves about acceptable risks. Just my opinion on the topic.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:36 PM

2,415 posts, read 1,335,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Do you buy a much bigger car than needed for safety/ simply due to the amount of 4-5000 SUV and pickups on the road?

Yep.

I live in TX, and drivers here drive fast, and very aggressive. I know a lot of people from other states say that, but I've yet to live in a state that has drivers as aggressive as we do here. Chalk it up to multi lane highways, high speed limits, and a lot of distance between destinations I guess.

There's also a ton of trucks and SUVs. It didn't use to be such a big problem when trucks were "normal" sized, like a 90's F150 for example. But now they're all getting bigger and heavier.

I have a sedan and a sportscar. But my wife (who drive our 4 yr old around all the time) has one of the safest SUVs money can buy and it's built like a rock. I'm not worried for them in that vehicle, and it's also faster than a lot of sports cars, so she doesn't get bullied on the road.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:59 PM

37,404 posts, read 39,045,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No. Most large SUVs have no better crash safety the cars, and maybe even worse. Trucks have by far the worst safety results. They may be big and heavy but that doesn't make them safe.

This is simple physics, a larger vehicle has more energy so when it meets a smaller vehicle the smaller vehicle and the passengers in it absorb more energy of the accident. All other things being equal you will sustain more injuries in a smaller vehicle.

Higher vehicles like trucks and SUV's have higher roll over rates and those types of accidents have much higher fatality rate, they are a relatively low percentage of accidents.

The other issue is who is driving the vehicle. A Mustang may have higher fatality rates than a Prius but that isn't because the Prius is a superior car.

Generally speaking the safest vehicle to be in is well designed large sedan with someone driving who is not an idiot.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:02 PM

5,224 posts, read 1,393,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
I'm a senior and all my cars have been sports, sporty or 2 dr coupe AND manual trans. I have no desire to drive a truck disguised as a sports?? utility?? vehicle.
Iím not a senior but all my cars have been manual 2 door coupes/sports vehicles. The notion that I need to sacrifice my personal passion for manual sportscars in exchange for a monster truck or SUV in the case of an accident is hilarious.

No thanks, I donít drive like a maniac so I donít need additional protection. Might as well tell passionate motorcycle owners to stop riding because itís too dangerous compared to owning a truck as well.

Not everyone wants a gas guzzling big box Jeep, truck, and SUV

Old 05-24-2018, 03:02 PM

1,954 posts, read 2,189,070 times
I recently bought a fun car, a g37 convertible. It weighs a beastly 4100lbs (slightly less than my Rx350), and other than being lower then all the CUVs I'm surrounded by on the road, I feel safe in it due to its shear weight.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:10 PM

5,224 posts, read 1,393,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is simple physics, a larger vehicle has more energy so when it meets a smaller vehicle the smaller vehicle and the passengers in it absorb more energy of the accident. All other things being equal you will sustain more injuries in a smaller vehicle.
You will never have the biggest vehicle on the road. By that logic, anything smaller than a Nissan Armada, Ford Expedition, or Cadillac Escalade is a dangerous vehicle.

Safety is only part of the consideration to owning a vehicle. You must consider reliability, practicality, fuel economics, style, interior, exterior, features, repair costs, insurance costs, maintenance costs.

The gas, depreciation, and maintenance of SUVs and trucks is a high price to pay for a little safety in the case of an accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or