Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2018, 05:02 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
1970 produced a true icon. ~$3500 USD at the time. Can't believe no one's mentioned this yet.
Yes, a good variety in 1970. I would pick something a little bigger and more powerful than that Datsun, though. For example: (Near or at 1970)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'd have to say the 1960s were. You had some truly massive sedans back then with interior room to match. We had a '67 Chevy Biscayne. Nothing fancy, it was just a six cylinder. But our little dog could go from the front seat to the back by squeezing between the front seat and the door frame. Now you'd be lucky to get your hand between that space. My '62 Buick was a good acre inside.
If they'd make really big and roomy sedans again, with room to seat six comfortably( at least in the back seat for three) they could capture a market. People want room. They want it in airline travel, they'd want it in cars.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, a good variety in 1970. I would pick something a little bigger and more powerful than that Datsun, though. For example: (Near or at 1970)

While I had a Hemi Cuda, and a 340 Duster...(+/-)... on the Datsun scale;... My 1973 Opel Sportwagon was a real gem! I replaced it with a Datsun (not a good idea!). What a DOG in the mtns and no better economy on the flats.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Want to see something funny? look up the 1970 (or 69) "Mod top" cuda.

I do not think I ever saw one back then, but they are funny. Very 1960s.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:02 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Modern sports and muscle cars are faster and better in every way from a technical standpoint compared to classic muscle era cars, but that doesn't mean they are "cooler" or "more fun" IMO. I saw a guy in a 65 or 66 Nova the other day, done up real nice. You just don't get that sound and presence with the newer stuff, as cool as some of it is.

Good, bad, or indifferent, neither is a quality that can be objectively measured.

Old 06-04-2018, 12:09 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I'd have to say the 1960s were. You had some truly massive sedans back then with interior room to match. We had a '67 Chevy Biscayne. Nothing fancy, it was just a six cylinder. But our little dog could go from the front seat to the back by squeezing between the front seat and the door frame. Now you'd be lucky to get your hand between that space. My '62 Buick was a good acre inside.
If they'd make really big and roomy sedans again, with room to seat six comfortably( at least in the back seat for three) they could capture a market. People want room. They want it in airline travel, they'd want it in cars.
Must be why everyone is buying crossover SUV's nowadays

Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
In about 30 years, they'll be talking about the good old days, when cars had manual controls. And wheels!

Eventually we'll all be riding in hovercraft-type vehicles that don't even touch the pavement. It's just a matter of time before every car comes equipped with miniature fusion reactors similar to Back to the Future.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:11 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Just because something is new it doesn’t automatically make it great or exciting, or even better. I find quality, masterpieces of art, artistically engaging and stimulating objects be it homes, bridges, buildings, appliances and yes, cars all were much better looking and built in the past.

Historic buildings have so much character in their designs, they have depth an almost 3 dimensional shapes that make them stand out vs the ultra bland, flat, and ZERO stimulating modern architecture which for whatever reasons people like. People don’t travel to Europe or parts of Asia just because, they go for its history, food, it’s culture and their attractions.

But the biggest reasons is probably it’s history. So old is cool and interesting in many respects.

The modern way of doing things in 2018 is half ass. Build everything super cheap, with the cheapest made materials as fast as we can at the expense of quality, durability and good paying wages for workers.

It wasn’t so bad years ago when companies actually cared for its employees.

My point is, progress is a good thing depending on what it is, and of course nobody wants to go back to riding a horse and a carriage, we all love the way how new cars drive, but not everything about them is great.

I truly believe that the 60’s and early to mid 70’s cars and trucks had the perfect balance of great styling mixed with still using heavy duty steel for the bodies with chrome bumpers and trim. You had cars with tons of room, and a drivetrain that had great power and could be safely driven for hours without problems.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:51 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
Just because something is new it doesn’t automatically make it great or exciting, or even better. I find quality, masterpieces of art, artistically engaging and stimulating objects be it homes, bridges, buildings, appliances and yes, cars all were much better looking and built in the past.

Historic buildings have so much character in their designs, they have depth an almost 3 dimensional shapes that make them stand out vs the ultra bland, flat, and ZERO stimulating modern architecture which for whatever reasons people like. People don’t travel to Europe or parts of Asia just because, they go for its history, food, it’s culture and their attractions.

But the biggest reasons is probably it’s history. So old is cool and interesting in many respects.

The modern way of doing things in 2018 is half ass. Build everything super cheap, with the cheapest made materials as fast as we can at the expense of quality, durability and good paying wages for workers.

It wasn’t so bad years ago when companies actually cared for its employees.

My point is, progress is a good thing depending on what it is, and of course nobody wants to go back to riding a horse and a carriage, we all love the way how new cars drive, but not everything about them is great.

I truly believe that the 60’s and early to mid 70’s cars and trucks had the perfect balance of great styling mixed with still using heavy duty steel for the bodies with chrome bumpers and trim. You had cars with tons of room, and a drivetrain that had great power and could be safely driven for hours without problems.
Your perspective is always an interesting read....and is especially impressive coming from a fairly young person. Am I remembering correctly that you said you were in your 20s or 30s?

Your comment about the 60s and early to mid 70s is a bullseye, for that was the American auto industry's greatest era. My 2017 Sonata gets me where I want to go, but it's an appliance. An appliance that can be nearly impossible to identify in a large parking lot, but for the license plate number. I got it last year only after a long and exhaustive search for an affordable classic in great shape that wouldn't need a lot of costly restoration. I finally had to give up, realizing that for practical purposes they just don't exist any more. Your choice is megabucks for a (hard-to-find) professionally restored car or a tired and badly weathered old master that needs extensive work on....well....most everything to bring it back to its former glory.

In the 70s you could go prospecting for a weekend within a 10 mile radius with a thousand dollars in your pocket and come back with a like-new, clean and shiny, classic that begged for a trip across the country. A true inspiration and new chapter in your life. And I did it several times. Today, make that more like a 2500 mile radius with a pocket deep enough to hold about 30 grand.

I finally had to give up and get an appliance, just like everybody else does these days. Except everybody else doesn't begin to understand the downgrade it is from what we had 50 years ago, give or take.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:21 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Your perspective is always an interesting read....and is especially impressive coming from a fairly young person. Am I remembering correctly that you said you were in your 20s or 30s?

Your comment about the 60s and early to mid 70s is a bullseye, for that was the American auto industry's greatest era. My 2017 Sonata gets me where I want to go, but it's an appliance. An appliance that can be nearly impossible to identify in a large parking lot, but for the license plate number. I got it last year only after a long and exhaustive search for an affordable classic in great shape that wouldn't need a lot of costly restoration. I finally had to give up, realizing that for practical purposes they just don't exist any more. Your choice is megabucks for a (hard-to-find) professionally restored car or a tired and badly weathered old master that needs extensive work on....well....most everything to bring it back to its former glory.

In the 70s you could go prospecting for a weekend within a 10 mile radius with a thousand dollars in your pocket and come back with a like-new, clean and shiny, classic that begged for a trip across the country. A true inspiration and new chapter in your life. And I did it several times. Today, make that more like a 2500 mile radius with a pocket deep enough to hold about 30 grand.

I finally had to give up and get an appliance, just like everybody else does these days. Except everybody else doesn't begin to understand the downgrade it is from what we had 50 years ago, give or take.

I appreciate the comment.

I am in my early 30’s but I’ve always been this way since I was even younger. You can call me an old soul, but also I’m a realist and honestly feel that the newer things have become, the worst they have become in terms of durability and styling.

My 17 Impala is great and all, just like your Sonata, It does the job and gets you from where you need to go safely, but in no way is the car better than my 64 Cadillac. If I could drive the Cad everyday I would. There’s times where I also miss my 94 Caddy Fleetwood for its smooth ride and comfort, but I simply needed something new that did better on gas and I didn’t have to worry about something breaking down on it.

You also make great points and are probably the only other member on here that actually “gets it” besides for a few others. Not too many people on this forum have owned truly great classics, especially the big luxury cars. Once you experience a classic Cadillac or Lincoln of that era, it’s really hard to compare them to something new since they drove and rode so amazingly smooth.

This is why it’s so important that we cherish the past and hold onto it as long as we can. Because once it’s gone, it’s gone for good and there’s no way we can ever bring it back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive