Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:52 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,439,374 times

Advertisements

never had a problem with Waze. It saves me from traffic and tickets frequently
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 12:18 PM

5,325 posts, read 8,497,330 times
My favorite feature of Waze is how people can upload pictures of incidents. I found this very helpful a few times when I was stuck at a dead stop in super heavy traffic and had no idea why. For some reason, just being able to see what was blocking traffic helped me relax.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 PM

1,566 posts, read 1,111,001 times
Waze is absolutely fantastic. A lot depends on your community. In the Raleigh area the community is very active so a crowd sourced app like Waze is pretty accurate. It also helps to frequently tap the the time on the bottom of the app. Then tap "Routes". This can wake up the app and re-calibrate based on the top three routes available to you.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 PM

5,891 posts, read 3,199,452 times
I have an idea for a new app. I even picked out the name already. It says stuff like "You're gonna miss the exit!" or "Don't get so close to the cars in front" or "Slow down!" or "look out, this guy looks like he's gonna hit us!", or says "How fast are you going" every time you accelerate on the freeway.

Its called Nagz.

So how it works is anytime your wife or girlfriend is not in the car, you just fire up Nagz, and away you go, business as usual.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:42 PM

24,293 posts, read 9,185,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Waze's only real plus IMO is the notification of cops, but because their app is dangerous to use when driving it's hard to update the position of the cops. I tried too and it took almost 3-4 seconds to get back to the app and try and update the cop's position. Way, way too much time to update Waze to make it accurate, more like begging for a rear end collision using Waze.
)
All of this, bingo. Jesus Christ the waze app is so damn dangerous to tag a cop or send an update on a car parked on the side of the road. You have to click 4-5 different buttons while driving. They need big changes to make it safer.

Waze is great because it notifies cops/construction/pot holes/ but the cost is the amount of time it takes to input that data while you’re flying down the highway at 65 mph

With that said, google maps seems to be more accurate and has a good idea of every route. Whereas Waze only wants to take me to the main and most common routes. Either way, you can’t go wrong with having both apps.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 PM

16,357 posts, read 10,372,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you input Cambridge, MD on Google for distance and driving time from where I live it comes up at 12 miles and 15 minutes, which is an accurate distance. The only problem is that the Chesapeake Bay is in the way.

Building the second Bay Bridge should solve that problem.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:53 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Is it just me, or is the Waze App an absolutely worthless piece of crap??

Numerous times, when driving into NYC from CT (JFK) it shows an ETA that is almost always AT LEASE 20-30 min less than what it actually takes.

WTF........how the hell is it that the developers haven't taken into account the actual traffic. If I leave at 3 PM with an ETA of 6 PM, WHY would it not know, by the time of day, that traffic will be heavy.

Again, this isn't a one time isolated incident, this happens ALL THE TIME.

And if that isn't bad enough, the speeds that it shows when in slow moving traffic are TOTALLY optimistic. It will often show 20 mph in a slowdown on the interstate, when at BEST I'm going 5-10 mph, over a 20 minute period. NFW is that accurate.

Lastly, when I am less than 10 minutes from a backup due to construction, it will SUDDENLY add 10 minutes to my ETA, when the construction and associated delay were already taking place. No way did that happen all of the sudden.

To say the least, I'm pissed at how bad Waze is.

Why can't the useless programers change the algorithms to actually give me a reasonable accurate ETA, and not an optimistic one that is always 20 min early.

If they had half a brain, they would err on the conservative side, and add an extra 10 min, that was they wouldnt **** off the users.

Such common sense isn't so common.

WHY???
I have found it, over the last 3 years, to be pretty close to spot on. You do need to follow the routing directions exactly, even if they seem to make no sense. Like using city streets instead of the highway, and so on. Second guess it and YOU will most likely be wrong.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
I much prefer Google maps. Google has now added the feature of rerouting to bypass accidents and delays which I believe was the only advantage Waze had, IMO.
That's actually Waze integrated into the Google maps app.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:56 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,138,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
It could be that urban centers just have more complicated traffic issues (more cars, more deliveries, more intersections, more things that cause traffic to slow, etc) and that this level of complexity is harder to model accurately.

It really has trouble with left turns. A lot of places you can make it through an intersection straight in one light but need to wait 2-3 light cycles to make a left turn. It also brings you to nearly impossible left turns where there is no traffic light. In these cases you need to make a right and then a U-turn. In both of the scenarios, it vastly under estimates the time required.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 PM

48 posts, read 34,174 times
Works fine for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive