Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times

Advertisements

The passenger door on my 96 Ranger is having problems. I need to pull the interior panel off to get at the locking mechanism and the door handle workings. The electric locking mechanism sometimes sticks when I push the button to pop it up, and I can't just physically pull it up (I've tried, and there's very definite resistance). I assume I just need to get in there with some graphite. Also, the key will no longer release the door lock on that side, even though it easily turns the lock.

Anyway, I can see several screws that hold the panels in place, but when I remove them it still feels like something is holding the panels on, and I really am reluctant to brute force it as that usually means breaking something

Anyone know of a site online that has step by step instructions (or pics?) of how to dismantle a door on this truck? Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 12:13 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
there should be plastic inserts on the backside of the panel which are holding it onto the door, in addition to the screws you've found. These are properly removed with a special tool you can usually buy from autozone, etc. Also if you've got crank windows you might need another special tool to remove/replace the clip on the backside of the crank (some cranks just pull off though). While you're at autozone have them sell you some of the plastic insert jobbies (that hold the panel to the metal door) as you're sure to break some anyway due to age.

Then when you get all that loose, push the entire panel as straight upward as you can to get the window seal released. Carefull with that.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
The passenger door on my 96 Ranger is having problems. I need to pull the interior panel off to get at the locking mechanism and the door handle workings. The electric locking mechanism sometimes sticks when I push the button to pop it up, and I can't just physically pull it up (I've tried, and there's very definite resistance). I assume I just need to get in there with some graphite. Also, the key will no longer release the door lock on that side, even though it easily turns the lock.

Anyway, I can see several screws that hold the panels in place, but when I remove them it still feels like something is holding the panels on, and I really am reluctant to brute force it as that usually means breaking something

Anyone know of a site online that has step by step instructions (or pics?) of how to dismantle a door on this truck? Thanks in advance...
Autozone.com should have repair instructions that will tell you what's behind door panel that also needs to be removed. It will no doubt need a special tool.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:16 PM

Thanks to both of you. I'll take a look this weekend and see if I can get it open.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:34 PM

26 posts, read 265,827 times
I've never used special tools. I just be careful. You can break the clips, but they are cheap, and even if you have the tool, they still might break. Window cranks usually require a couple of really small flat head screw drivers and needle nose pliers to pop the circlip out.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:09 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,124 times
Make sure when you pop out the plastic inserts imbedded in the panel you get the head of the tool on the insert itself and not beside it. You can rip the panel and then even a new insert wont hold the panel in place. The tool to use looks like a two pronged fork with the prongs spaced wide enough apart to allow the insert to fit between the prongs. It works really well and doesn't tear or rip the panel if used properly.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:28 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Get you a window crank clip remover. It costs $5-7 at any auto parts store and it looks like a pie scoop....sort of. Push in the door panel around the window crank and look for the clip that holds on the window crank handle...push in with the scooper and it should push the clip out. Take care not to lose the clip, but if you do they sell them cheap.

Then undo your screws. Once that is done usually there are some barbed plastic push in holders that secure the panel to the door. Carefully pry around the door to get them loose. The store sells a special pry bar for this but I've used a flat head with no problems.

Yes the holders might break and might not, but replacement parts are cheap and almost any parts store sells them.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the help, everyone. I got them off this weekend without too much trouble. Had to buy a pack of replacement plastic things (that was a task, finding matching size and color!). Managed to get access to the interior workings that I needed to fix. De-oxidized and cleaned it all, and got it all working again. So far so good...next project is replacing the stock radio and speakers.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:31 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Thanks for the help, everyone. I got them off this weekend without too much trouble. Had to buy a pack of replacement plastic things (that was a task, finding matching size and color!). Managed to get access to the interior workings that I needed to fix. De-oxidized and cleaned it all, and got it all working again. So far so good...next project is replacing the stock radio and speakers.
For that project I would suggest Crutchfield. Good prices and excellent tech support.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
For that project I would suggest Crutchfield. Good prices and excellent tech support.
Sweet, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive