Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:43 PM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times

Advertisements

Its most likely due to the fact that someone in Mercede's refuses to strike a deal with Trumps businesses thus he punishes them by not allowing them to sell in the U.S. -- It's pretty obvious really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 01:44 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This guy is a tool of epic proportions. He increased the deficit by nearly three trillion dollars with his Budget and Tax Plans. While doing so the nation's output fell to 2.2% from a consistent 3% plus dating back to the Obama years. Now he wants to start a trade war. Colossal clusterf...
and how much did Obama increase the deficit during his tenure?????

Old 05-31-2018, 01:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Well to level the playing ground, he just raised the cost of most domestic cars between 10 and 25% with the tariffs, and now retaliatory tariffs by Canada, Mexico and the EU.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:47 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
The Hill being an objective news source, is like saying the National Enquirer is one too..

I love these ridiculous stories that quote "sources" but never name them, or interview them as to the validity of these absurd "stories"..

Might as well pay attention to your fortune cookies advice, if you are going to take any of this non sense as "news"..
"Sources" indeed. I know a couple of good sources: Dick Gephart's rich secret friend and Harry Reed's speshul friend who had access to Romney's tax returns of the last 20 years.

More like sorcerers. Or let's just call it novelists.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:49 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
He wants to be able to grab them by the Porsche.

Boxster?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
and how much did Obama increase the deficit during his tenure?????
How much?

Old 05-31-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Well if history is a pattern, Trump is starting with a hyperbole to create chaos and likely settle for less. The idea of banning German cars is ridiculous. The idea of making German cars more expensive and rebalancing trade isn't as ridiculous. I don't approve of this, but I'm just trying to explain it.

And if history is a pattern he takes a quick peek at a complex situation and believes he understands it all.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Its most likely due to the fact that someone in Mercede's refuses to strike a deal with Trumps businesses thus he punishes them by not allowing them to sell in the U.S. -- It's pretty obvious really.

And pretty petty, really.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:05 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I think he means the ones that are made mostly in Mexico, or worse...Detroit.

Trump needs tread carefully. An important part of his constituency is making "German" cars in the Southern US.
Pfalz, this is true!

I wonder if Pres. Trump is aware that Diamler-Mercedes has a factory in Tuscaloosa AL, BMW has a factory in Greeneville SC and VW has a factory in Chattanooga TN? I wonder if he is aware that all 3 of those factories export tens of thousands of cars (mostly SUVs) from the US to Germany and other countries around the globe?

Sure, there are some luxury and high performance German cars imported to the US, but if you add all those up, there are probably not enough of any one model to justify a factory in the USA (Porsche for example). I'm sure there are a dozen or more German owned sub-parts factories in the southeastern USA that build components for all of those big car assembly plants.

We know Pres Trump has a bromance with Pres Macron, and he doesn't like Chancellor Merkel because she does not look like a hot fashion model. It really is not in our interest for Trump to stir things up against Germany, one of the most important economic and political allies of the USA in the post WW2 era. Why not figure out what Germany does to keep domestic manufacturing strong and bring some of those ideas to the US?

Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Pfalz, this is true!

I wonder if Pres. Trump is aware that Diamler-Mercedes has a factory in Tuscaloosa AL, BMW has a factory in Greeneville SC and VW has a factory in Chattanooga TN? I wonder if he is aware that all 3 of those factories export tens of thousands of cars (mostly SUVs) from the US to Germany and other countries around the globe?

Sure, there are some luxury and high performance German cars imported to the US, but if you add all those up, there are probably not enough of any one model to justify a factory in the USA (Porsche for example). I'm sure there are a dozen or more German owned sub-parts factories in the southeastern USA that build components for all of those big car assembly plants.

We know Pres Trump has a bromance with Pres Macron, and he doesn't like Chancellor Merkel because she does not look like a hot fashion model. It really is not in our interest for Trump to stir things up against Germany, one of the most important economic and political allies of the USA in the post WW2 era. Why not figure out what Germany does to keep domestic manufacturing strong and bring some of those ideas to the US?

I forget if it was the X5 or X3 but at one time everyone they made was made in SC, Same with Honda motorcycles, at one time at least every Gold Wing touring bike was made in Marysville OH. It's a very complex issue I doubt simply declaring new tariffs is likely to improve for the US and Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive